• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo v. Gators

Started by jetz, June 01, 2013, 08:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Gotta get off the mat and win this elimination game.  DeBoo has been great lately, so I like him on the mound.  Unfortunately, it's a steady rain in Bloomington today and looks like it's going to last all day.  I'm looking for schedule changes coming shortly...
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

Valposter

Go Valpo......take out the Gators!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

LaPorteAveApostle

That was a heck of a rally in B7--one run lead to take to the ninth.

God help us all!!! :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

WE DID IT

WE  :censored: DID IT!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!  Awesome job guys, very proud to be an alum!  Now off to get ready on a fantastic note  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Can I get  a HO HUM!~   I didn't want to post any jynxing comments in that 9th inning...  Way to Go!  First NCAA win in 47 years...

1PM Eastern tomorrow against the loser of the game ....  Whoo Whoo!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Tex, that was your wedding present!

Amazing--we gave them 13 hits, 4 walks, and a HBP, or 2 runners an inning, and they got four runs.

Situational pitching.  Wormington with 3 innings to shut it down (no Karch today).

We live to fight again!

Who will we pitch tomorrow?

Speaking of tomorrow, let's make like Tex's bachelor party, and peay all over Austin.

vu72

First win in 45 years!!!  Go Valpo!!  It would be nice to get another crack at IU!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Most outstanding!!!!   Beautiful!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on June 01, 2013, 03:57:39 PMIt would be nice to get another crack at IU!
I would prefer a crack at both of them ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

Top of the 5th and IU is putting the hurt on APU, 11-4 already.  Let's hope they keep ripping it up, for the sake of Austin Peay not having any pitchers for tomorrow either.

I'm curious as to why use Lundeen for an inning.  Seems a waste, when Wormington could have gone four, right?

Now who do we start tomorrow?  Only a couple guys other than the four who have thrown in the last two days (three today) have even started a game this year...

thoughts?

LaPorteAveApostle

So here's the rub, for the 3 other people who care :) ...

The only other two pitchers we have who have started games this year:
--Trevor Haas, 5 starts (3-2 VU record therein), but a 6.28 ERA and just 5 K in nearly 29 innings. 
--Drew Hasler, just 2 starts, but 1-0 with a 2.14 ERA.  But...the win was a shutdown of Roosevelt.  So.

Maybe:  you ask Haas to go (he lost to Toledo but beat Yale!).  At the first sign of trouble, you go pen.  If it's close, you could get an inning out of Mahar and Kowalczyk, but not two each, so as to have them for the night game, hopefully.  Say you get 4 or 5 out of Haas, that leaves 2 or 3 innings to account for...Kennedy, Hasler, Jacobs, Walsh? 

If you are getting killed, this is all moot.  But here's a roadmap in case of victoire:
--You ask Lundeen to give you a couple in the evening--maybe 3 if possible?  Then the two of the above four that weren't used, two apiece?  THEN you have Mahar and Kowalczyk for 8 and 9!

For Monday, though, I don't know what to tell you...send Webb on two days' rest?  See if Wormington can give you a couple innings?  Yeesh.

#FirstWorldProblems :)

Tracy's a good coach--let's give him these headaches by keeping winning!!! :)

LaPorteAveApostle

Here's the good part, though, as IU tacks on another 4-spot, and are now averaging 2.5 runs AN INNING vs APU, as opposed to the .125 they got against Webb:  APU might even be in worse shape than we are tomorrow afternoon.

Their starters (GS):
Hall (15)
Delgado (15)
Ridenhour (10)
-----
Hall pitched against UF, Delgado just got shelled by IU.  Ridenhour threw 15 pitches Friday night, so maybe he could go...their other options:
Quick (9)
Carkuff (6) just pitched to 2 guys and got neither of them out and then the hook.

So...they are either going to throw Ridenhour on a real limited budget or send a guy with a 5.67 ERA--call that the Quick hook ;)

APU's not here for their pitching, that's for sure.  But their lineup is fairly scary.

jetz

My best guess is Lundeen. It's our third game. He's the three day starter. Our coaches have a very short memory on what the pitchers have done lately. Not sure at all why they threw Lundeen for an inning today other than Gators may have had a couple of lefties coming up in that inning. Pitching overall is in good shape. Lundeen can go six or seven, Mahar, Karch. Kennedy and Walsh have been good in big spots this year and have not thrown an inning yet in this tourney. I think APSU is the best team in the Regional. Will be a tough assignment, but can be done. Fact is, we're not afraid of anyone, and IU is scared of us.

new2ff

Quote from: jetz on June 01, 2013, 11:15:42 PM
and IU is scared of us.
??? Do you REALLY think so?
I'm excited about our big win & hope we can knock off AP, but not to sure IU fears us. In fact, I would like to see them be over confident if we get another shot at them. Don't like giving them any statements for their bulletin board.

jetz

Quote from: new2ff on June 02, 2013, 08:38:48 AM
Quote from: jetz on June 01, 2013, 11:15:42 PM
and IU is scared of us.
??? Do you REALLY think so?
I'm excited about our big win & hope we can knock off AP, but not to sure IU fears us. In fact, I would like to see them be over confident if we get another shot at them. Don't like giving them any statements for their bulletin board.

No, I don't really think IU is scared of us. I do think we have their attention. And you're right about the bulletin board stuff. We just need to win early today before we even consider IU. GO VALPO!