• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Detroit at Valpo (2/2) Game Thread

Started by valpopal, February 01, 2012, 05:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

I guess I started the redundancy in comments on the ESPN footage.   I only saw the morning show and not the eve.   

Was this said in the evening too?    "I don't know the law in Indiana, but it might not be legal to do this."  or something of that tone.    :)      Kevin's a warrior and he got the W so he gets the last laugh. 

FWalum

Quote from: agibson on February 03, 2012, 10:57:11 AMMakes me think, also, about a similar play with Holman and van Wijk late in the game.  Holman ended up on the ground after a Detroit possession.  I'm not sure what happened exactly, scramble for the rebound maybe?  Maybe he got elbowed in the gut or hit in the face and had a legitimate reason for being slow to get up.  But, the camera lingered on him deliciously.  It looked like he was OK, just sort of taking his time, laying on his side, propped up on one arm.

While Valpo ran the other way, with numbers (maybe just 4-3 or 5-4).  It took them a few quick passes, but they found KVW underneath for an easy layup. 

It may be completely unfair to pick out this one visual.  But, it made me think about Holman's career, his 6th man status, his (and his teams) seeming failure to convert on their talent and athleticism.

Great that we pulled it out!

I think that one of the big reasons Kevin has had such a great year is his business like attitude.  I have only seen one game in person, but on video I have never seen him sulk or complain.  No matter what the situation he picks himself up, dusts himself off and hustles his ass down to the other end of the floor every change of possession.  In the chat we talked about how many minutes the Detroit starters had played in the first half and how it might work to our advantage later in the game and that was one of the contributing factors to our strong finish.  In the last two games this team has had a never say die attitude and I think that really has filtered down from our coaches and into our players.  Kevin has been a great example of that despite not having a great night last night.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

sectionee

Quote from: agibson on February 03, 2012, 10:57:11 AM
Quote from: sectionee on February 02, 2012, 09:54:13 PMI think the turning point was when Ray missed a lay up then pouted around and barely made it to half court before Ryan finished off the uneven break with a layup of his own. 

Makes me think, also, about a similar play with Holman and van Wijk late in the game.  Holman ended up on the ground after a Detroit possession.  I'm not sure what happened exactly, scramble for the rebound maybe?  Maybe he got elbowed in the gut or hit in the face and had a legitimate reason for being slow to get up.  But, the camera lingered on him deliciously.  It looked like he was OK, just sort of taking his time, laying on his side, propped up on one arm.

While Valpo ran the other way, with numbers (maybe just 4-3 or 5-4).  It took them a few quick passes, but they found KVW underneath for an easy layup. 

It may be completely unfair to pick out this one visual.  But, it made me think about Holman's career, his 6th man status, his (and his teams) seeming failure to convert on their talent and athleticism.

Great that we pulled it out!
Yes! That play happened shortly after the play I mentioned I think.  Detroit did not play as well with Holman in the game, his lack of athleticism seemed to hurt them.  Great job, great playing, great coaching for Valpo!

wh

Quote from: valpo84 on February 02, 2012, 11:35:31 PM
Anderson's dunk was very good, but only counts 2 points, same as 2 FTs, a layup or a 15 ft knock down J.  Not sure why someone hadn't rotated and taken the charge on that one. KVW was slow to help and was merely "Perkinized."

Great comeback win!! Ryan adds to the POY credentials.

I'm not a big ooh and aah guy over dunks, but that dunk by Anderson was a thing of beauty.  The timing, the positioning, the elevation, the brute force - just unbelievable!

chipper955

I found a link to the Doug Anderson dunk on SportsCenter.  Not great quality though.

SC Top 10 Derrick Rose Reverse

agibson

Thanks!  The quality's at least as good as the HLN feed.

I didn't realize Fox Sports Detroit was broadcasting the game.  I wonder how big of a crew they had there?  Different video feed; multiple cameras (their own cameras, or a remix of Valpo's?).  Better graphics than HLN.  Different play-by-play or voice-over, clearly.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on February 03, 2012, 07:53:32 PM
Thanks!  The quality's at least as good as the HLN feed.

I didn't realize Fox Sports Detroit was broadcasting the game.  I wonder how big of a crew they had there?  Different video feed; multiple cameras (their own cameras, or a remix of Valpo's?).  Better graphics than HLN.  Different play-by-play or voice-over, clearly.

Radio voice of the Detroit Tigers, in fact ;)

vuweathernerd

gotta love the ever-present "valparEYEso." another reason i dislike linda cohn as a sportscenter anchor.

MattCarter

Quote from: agibson on February 03, 2012, 07:53:32 PMThanks!  The quality's at least as good as the HLN feed. I didn't realize Fox Sports Detroit was broadcasting the game.  I wonder how big of a crew they had there?  Different video feed; multiple cameras (their own cameras, or a remix of Valpo's?).  Better graphics than HLN.  Different play-by-play or voice-over, clearly.

Yes they had their own cameras and crew.  Their announcers were behind the chair back seats.  HLN usually just uses Todd Icow.  They had 2 cameras up there and had 2 cameras on the floor.  I don't think HLN had floor cameras because of it.
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

sectionee

Quote from: MattCarter on February 03, 2012, 08:46:28 PMTheir announcers were behind the chair back seats.
Was that the two gentlemen in the blue jackets I saw sitting up there with their stacks of papers?  I thought they might have been scouts when I first saw them walk in.  I didn't have my boys with me so there was no reason to get up and walk a couple laps to get a closer look.

MattCarter

Quote from: sectionee on February 03, 2012, 08:52:59 PM
Quote from: MattCarter on February 03, 2012, 08:46:28 PMTheir announcers were behind the chair back seats.
Was that the two gentlemen in the blue jackets I saw sitting up there with their stacks of papers?  I thought they might have been scouts when I first saw them walk in.  I didn't have my boys with me so there was no reason to get up and walk a couple laps to get a closer look.
yeah they had monitors and head sets....and we also got super awesome replay of that intentional foul
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

DMvalpo18

Quote from: vu72 on February 03, 2012, 12:55:10 PM
If you are interested in just seeing the dunk, it's part of the highlite video on the Valpo game report.

Valpo Crusaders (MBB) vs. Detroit Titans (2/2/2012)

I know our announcers are total homers, but could we not get some more emotion on that dunk? That will most likely be the best dunk we will have seen all year at the ARC, and all they act like it was just a casual play. I don't care who does that, my jaw is going to drop.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 03, 2012, 08:38:55 PM
gotta love the ever-present "valparEYEso." another reason i dislike linda cohn as a sportscenter anchor.

As if sportscenter anchors were likeable at all. I can't stand espn....the cnn of sports.

valporun

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on February 03, 2012, 10:59:09 PMI know our announcers are total homers, but could we not get some more emotion on that dunk? That will most likely be the best dunk we will have seen all year at the ARC, and all they act like it was just a casual play. I don't care who does that, my jaw is going to drop.

Don't forget, Todd is also bringing the game to the fans listening on radio, so he can't have so much emotion about a dunk because he knows there are some people who aren't watching the video feed because they might be in the car coming from work, getting dinner, taking kids to a practice/game at the local Y or Boys and Girls Club, or other things going on, so they couldn't watch.

chipper955

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on February 03, 2012, 10:59:09 PM
Quote from: vu72 on February 03, 2012, 12:55:10 PM
If you are interested in just seeing the dunk, it's part of the highlite video on the Valpo game report.

Valpo Crusaders (MBB) vs. Detroit Titans (2/2/2012)

I know our announcers are total homers, but could we not get some more emotion on that dunk? That will most likely be the best dunk we will have seen all year at the ARC, and all they act like it was just a casual play. I don't care who does that, my jaw is going to drop.

Yeah that dunk topped Matt Kenney's dunk in the Bowling Green game.  That was the previous dunk of the year at the ARC in my opinion.

lowposter

Wow...just watched the video. 

That was a great dunk by Anderson.  However, it was a 2 point play.

What was spectacular in that video, even more so than the dunk, even more so than the outstanding atheletisim of Detroit, even more so than the laser scope sniper exhibition of Ryan, was the unselfish and precise passing of the Crusaders.

lowposter

sectionee

It was a 3 point play after he made the free throw

valpopal

Richie Edwards has been named runner-up (to Eli Holman) for StatSheet's Horizon Sixth Man of the Week, though Richie had better stats. In fact, in their head to head meeting Richie also had better numbers; he had 16 points and 6 rebounds, while Holman had 14 points and 2 rebounds.

For Freshman of the Week, Cleveland State's Anton Grady won for the fourth time. He should be the Freshman of the Year and a candidate for Sixth Man of the Year, which is why his performance could be a deciding factor in Valpo's game this Thursday.

http://valpodaily.com/valparaiso-basketball/conf-potw/richie-edwards-is-runner-up-for-statsheet-horizon-sixth-man-week-february-6th-2012