• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU/LCMS

Started by 78crusader, July 14, 2013, 10:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Quote from: agibson on July 17, 2013, 09:32:54 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on July 17, 2013, 08:16:56 AMBut what got me perturbed was the initial discussion on recruiting Lutheran or Christian students inclusively, which I find narrow minded.
Oh, I'm with you there. And sorry if I painted with too broad a brush, I was suggesting that you'd done the same when saying "This conversation is a little disturbing and narrow minded to me. " Pieces of it, for sure. But, the conversation, like VU, has been a big tent ;)
no problem.  Let's keep it as a big tent and open admission up for bright, prospective students no matter what faith or lack of faith.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on July 16, 2013, 11:19:56 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on July 16, 2013, 01:39:04 PMNice to see this argument devolve down to bean counting, as if that's the whole point.

Oh, I don't know that this is has been as simple or monochromatic as you, or usc, are suggesting.  There has been some bean counting.  There have been some disturbing things posted.  But, that's not what we're all about.
That remark of mine was mostly targeted at Paul, who started the topic on -- in part -- a bean counting note.

My point is that how narrow or how wide the tent is distracts from the real issue -- what kind of a tent is it, exactly?

LaPorteAveApostle

discussion seems pretty in tents to me
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 18, 2013, 02:06:01 PM
discussion seems pretty in tents to me

I personally found it tentalizing.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on July 18, 2013, 04:09:04 PMI personally found it tentalizing
aaaauuuuugggghhhh! (Charlie Brown voice)

i'm pulling up stakes and outta here
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

My goodness - these one liners are worse than the ones I just heard from the Sharknado movie.

The good news is that the USC campus did not get destroyed in the movie.  The bad news is that Lane Kiffin did not get consumed by a shark.

LaPorteAveApostle

yeah those tent one-liners were getting pretty campy.

speaking of sharknado, anyone see this insta-classic?

OK, really don't mean to hijack the thread, because as a Catholic I find all this fascinating.  Please continue and I'll hold my tongue.

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 18, 2013, 08:46:01 PMOK, really don't mean to hijack the thread, because as a Catholic I find all this fascinating.  Please continue and I'll hold my tongue.

Why is anyone even discussing Jesus coming under our roof, when we don't even have roof, because we live in a tent?

OK - I'm not doing so well here.  It was a long day.

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, we used to have a roof, and then Jesus' friends took it all apart and started dropping paralytics all ova

agibson

It's raining men, and they can't get up?

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 18, 2013, 08:46:01 PM
yeah those tent one-liners were getting pretty campy.speaking of sharknado, anyone see this insta-classic?

OK, really don't mean to hijack the thread, because as a Catholic I find all this fascinating.  Please continue and I'll hold my tongue.

that comment was tentamount to an insult!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

It is too bad this thread got hijacked.

My point in bringing this up is that VU has a unique legacy as a Lutheran institution, but if current trends continue, we'll simply be another Ball State or Drake or Evansville ... but with a fancy Chapel.

Paul

valporun

78, I'm not on the LCMS side of the Lutheran church, but you did your best to bring this to the forefront, but with all the societal changes and people on the board that don't associate fully with Lutheranism, it might take more in depth research by some on this board, including myself, to really make sense of all the details being discussed here about why Valpo seems to be getting a push away from being strong with the LCMS.

wh

Quote from: 78crusader on July 19, 2013, 10:45:04 AM
It is too bad this thread got hijacked.

My point in bringing this up is that VU has a unique legacy as a Lutheran institution, but if current trends continue, we'll simply be another Ball State or Drake or Evansville ... but with a fancy Chapel.

Paul

I understand Paul's point exactly that the University is losing its spiritual identity.  It's a regression that has been years in the making, but it's on steroids right now with this new "cross cultural" enrollment push. 

In stark contrast, here's how a Lutheran university that believes in the importance of its spiritual identity promotes itself to prospective students:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEBZMfY1Log&feature=player_embedded#at=32

I think most Christian colleges and universities have some form of this construct.  They stress the importance of spiritual growth as an integral and indispensable part of academic growth.  They interweave Christian spiritual development in every aspect of student life.  They welcome anyone to apply for admission regardless of religious affiliation (or no religious affiliation), but they don't "water down" what they stand for or how they operate in order to not "offend" those who don't believe like they do. 

The polar opposite are, of course, secular institutions - primarily public, but some private (e.g., Butler).  I would thing that most honest, independent observers would categorize current-day Valparaiso University as "religious" in name, but much closer to "secular" in operation.   

vu72

I think we need to step back and look at the national picture.  We all should understand what is going on across the country: Lutherans, as a denomination are in decline and more so as it relates to college age Lutherans.  The notion that diversifying, as it relates to reaching out to other Lutheran denominations is a bad thing, is simply shortsighted.  Let me give you a prime example: I came to Valpo via a Lutheran High School located in the suburbs of Cleveland. That high school was "fed" by about eight Lutheran grade schools.  Of the 15 or so 8th graders of which I was a part, about 14 went on the Lutheran East.  When I enrolled at Valpo I did so with about 8 other members of my senior class--out of 75 or roughly 10%.  There were probably 25 students from my high school on campus with me. The grade schools that fed the high school are for the most part closed and the high school which I attended now has about 100 mostly black students, down from about 350, who attend there as a means of escaping the public schools in the area, not because it is Lutheran.

There really isn't another Lutheran University or College that can compare to Valpo.  From a D1 standpoint, the only other institution at all claiming a Lutheran identity playing D1 is Wagner.  You would be hard pressed to find any reference to Lutheranism on their website.

A prominent Lutheran liberal arts school is St. Olaf, a ELCA school.  Nationally ranked in liberal arts, they have no professional schools and thus fall well short of the name recognition gained by a Valpo grad.  Make no mistake, St. Olaf is a top flight institution.  This is what they say about their student mix:

Approximately 40 percent of students at St. Olaf are Lutheran, but the college hosts a variety of religious groups for students to explore faith, including Muslim, Jewish, and a variety of Christian student associations, plus a Baha'i Club. In addition to regular Sunday services in Boe Memorial Chapel, daily chapel services that feature a faculty or staff member, student, or visiting speaker, are open to students of any faith who choose to attend.

So they say "about" 40 percent while Valpo says 36%.  sound like "about" 40 to me.  Now, understand that a great percentage of St. Olaf Students come from Minnesota which is highly Lutheran--as in there are as many Lutherans in the Twin Cities as Catholics.  My suburb of Minneapolis had five Lutheran churches with a combined membership of about 15,000.  Valpo gets about 15 students a year from Minnesota.  St. Olaf is 85% white with nearly 50%  of its students coming from Minnesota.

The notion that Valpo is somehow sliding into a state of religious decline is silly.  As it relates to Lutheran identity, Valpo stands at the head of the class when compared with any other Lutheran institution. 

There simply is a requirement to broaden ones horizons.  In the case of Valpo, embracing an international approach is what the world requires.  Gone are the days of isolation.  It is best for our students.  From a religious standpoint, more people are opting for "non-denominational" mega churches.  Valpo need to embrace those students, not stand with arms locked in opposition without dialogue. We certainly will end up on the short end of that approach.

Finally, at least in this post, I'd suggest Paul and others look inward at the LCMS and their colleges.  My father and grandfather were Concordia College River Forest grads.  This school is now known as Concordia University Chicago.  When my father attended it was solely a Lutheran teachers college.  Now, this is how they describe themselves:

Concordia University Chicago offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts & sciences, business and education. A Concordia education prepares you academically, intellectually, practically and ethically to find a meaningful career or vocation.

And as for their "Lutheran idenity", here is what they say: (nothing)

Concordia is a University "centered in the gospel of Jesus Christ."  This means that the good news of who Jesus is and what he has done remains the source, center, and purpose of all we do.  There are other Universities which are "Christian" in name or history, only.  That's not us.  The life of Christ is lived-out in countless ways at Concordia: from the classroom, to the dorm room, to the practice field, to the concert hall, our students are being formed to lead and serve with "integrity, creativity, competence and compassion"—all in His name.   From this page you can explore what this means in the lives of our students, our faculty and staff, and the broader church.

usc4valpo

outstanding post.  many thanks!

okinawatyphoon

thank you 72! Great post.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

VULB#62

My experience parallels 72.  I personally watched Concordia Prep, Bronxville, NY, dwindle in enrollment and close -- I was on the Concordia College faculty at the time and was an assistant FB coach at the Prep on their very last team -- we had 13 kids and cancelled the season after 3 games when the only QB we had got a concussion.  I have always viewed Valpo as the ultimate "Lutheran University" even though there are many, many great Lutheran higher ed institutions across the country.  But there is only one Valpo. The spirituality was always there; but so was the flexibility and tolerance that, in my mind, made the experience that much more "Christian."  When you think of religiously based brands, (I know I'm stretching it here) , but for all Lutherans regardless of synod or whatever,  Valpo is my Notre Dame, my BYU, my Baylor, my Liberty, my ORU.  The fact that on ESPN you hear about that little LUTHERAN university playing competitive D-I basketball in the Horizon League and going to the NCAA dance is a heck of a witness to Lutheranism that no others in the country can approach.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 20, 2013, 04:18:41 PMI have always viewed Valpo as the penultimate "Lutheran University"
so...begs the question...who's number one?  Luther?

usc4valpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 20, 2013, 04:18:41 PMMy experience parallels 72. I personally watched Concordia Prep, Bronxville, NY, dwindle in enrollment and close -- I was on the Concordia College faculty at the time and was an assistant FB coach at the Prep on their very last team -- we had 13 kids and cancelled the season after 3 games when the only QB we had got a concussion. I have always viewed Valpo as the penultimate "Lutheran University" even though there are many, many great Lutheran higher ed institutions across the country. But there is only one Valpo. The spirituality was always there; but so was the flexibility and tolerance that, in my mind, made the experience that much more "Christian." When you think of religiously based brands, (I know I'm stretching it here) , but for all Lutherans regardless of synod or whatever, Valpo is my Notre Dame, my BYU, my Baylor, my Liberty, my ORU. The fact that on ESPN you hear about that little LUTHERAN university playing competitive D-I basketball in the Horizon League and going to the NCAA dance is a heck of a witness to Lutheranism that no others in the country can approach.
My SMU?  My DePaul?

VULB#62

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 20, 2013, 09:30:23 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on July 20, 2013, 04:18:41 PMI have always viewed Valpo as the penultimate "Lutheran University"
so...begs the question...who's number one?  Luther?

good catch.

mistaken word choice. penultimate

vu72

I don't think 62 has stretched it at all saying Valpo is the Notre Dame of Lutheran institutions.  As stated, there are a bunch of very high quality Lutheran based colleges and universities.  Most are liberal arts schools (St. Olaf, Luther, etc) and others with professional schools (Capital, Wagner, etc.) simply don't have the name recognition or highly regarded individual fields (like Engineering or Meteorology as examples) that Valpo possesses.  I've been at several Lutheran only college fairs and spoken with representatives of other schools and it clear that they have a very high regard for all things Valpo.

VULB#62

I should add the little LUTHERAN university that sends its baseball and softball teams to the NCAA D-I tournament two years running.

78crusader

Guys, I say this respectfully -- you are missing the point here.  The point isn't whether VU has a good reputation -- it does.  Or whether it's as well-known as other "Lutheran" schools --it may be (although I think St. Olaf clearly beats us in the "well known" category). And the point isn't whether VU is 40% Lutheran, or 36% Lutheran, or 10% Lutheran -- it doesn't matter (I wouldn't care if VU was 0% Lutheran).  The point, as WH phrased it, is that VU has lost its spiritual identity, that we are a religious school in name only.  This assertion should concern every person associated with VU.  Is it true, or not?  I submit it is true. 

As Exhibit 1 I submit our very own website.  VU72 proves my point in referencing what a school like Concordia Chicago says about itself -- "centered on the gospel of Jesus Christ."  It doesn't matter one lick that they don't say anything about being Lutheran.  What they DO say is that they are focused on Christian values. 

What does VU say on its website about Jesus Christ?  Nothing.  Zip -- at least I couldn't find anything.  I haven't scoured the web site, but I'd guess you'd need a search warrant to find any reference to Christ, Christian education, Christian values, etc.  Awfully strange for a school that constantly trumpets the CHAPEL OF THE RESURRECTION.  In the Mission Statement part of the website there is some vague reference to the "search for truth."  That is completely meaningless, just a BS line that you could find in any school, anywhere, whether it be in Valparaiso, Berkeley, New Delhi, or Hong Kong.  Whose truth?  The truth of Christ?  Budda?  George Clooney?  Whose truth?

So, we've reached the point where, in order not to offend Muslims, or atheists, or whatever, we choose not to even identify ourselves as a Christian institution -- while all the while marginalizing Missouri Synod Lutherans (and other Christ followers) who helped found, and build, this university.

President Heckler apparently believes the only way to survive in this increasingly secular world is to water down what we supposedly believe and to pander to people of other, non-Christian faiths, or no faith at all.  He is wrong.  I say, embrace our Christian heritage.  Reach out to Christians of all denominations.  Can't be done?  Just ask Wheaton or Taylor, two places that in the last 20 years have rededicated their Christ-centered mission -- and thrived.

Bill Cosby said it best: "I don't know the key to success, but they key to failure is to trying to please everybody." 

Paul

vusupporter

That very page has a very prominent link - right next to the mission statement - to an entire sub-site on Valpo's faith tradition.