• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

St Louis Lutheran North's Virdure

Started by bbtds, November 27, 2012, 11:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/article_5a4823de-0d44-11e0-b9a4-0017a4a78c22.html

If someone had to pick the perfect kind of student athlete for Valpo, besides Angie Doerffler, this is the guy.

Virdure's dad is the girl's basketball coach at Lutheran North. He's averaging nearly 18 points a game at North. 22 of 28 FT's, shot 62%. (this was his sophomore year)

"All the way up, he's been going to Lutheran schools. With my coaching at Lutheran North and having played there, I wanted him to continue with the Lutheran school. I think at first he wanted to go to Hazelwood Central and be with his friends. But we just thought it was just better overall for him to stay in the Lutheran schools."

Crusaders' fans are no doubt cheering that choice as well.

He's already a Crusader.

Current notes on Virdure from SLU message board:
Anthony Virdure 5'10 Lutheran North '13 - No SLU offer though they have watched him, he may have a big ten offer.  I don't know if he has any interest in SLU or not but IMO he's small but the best lead guard in the area.

bbtds

http://www.ksdk.com/sports/prep/article/308730/86/SECTIONALS-Virdure-Lutheran-North-upsets-Ritter

Virdure is #1

http://www.stlamerican.com/sports/local_sports/article_d06e7288-3729-11e1-90b0-0019bb2963f4.html

Junior year:
For the season, Virdure is averaging 19.4 points, 3.8 assists and 2.6 steals while shooting 50 percent from the field. The Crusaders are currently 8-0. He is a three-year starter and two-time All-ABC League performer.

vu72

Imagine it would be nice to have a Lutheran on the team!  Here's the issue:  He sounds like a clone of Lexus Williams and Nick Davidson can also play point, let alone possibly one of the transfers of the future.  If he is better than Williams then Bryce will be aware of him and logically would pursue, who knows...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on November 27, 2012, 11:54:27 AM
Imagine it would be nice to have a Lutheran on the team!  Here's the issue:  He sounds like a clone of Lexus Williams and Nick Davidson can also play point, let alone possibly one of the transfers of the future.  If he is better than Williams then Bryce will be aware of him and logically would pursue, who knows...

I agree. When I first brought it up I thought he was a sophomore and then noticed it was from 2010. He hasn't made any decisions yet so it could be possible. But you're correct not likely. You have to wonder if Illinois or maybe even Minnesota is after him.

LaPorteAveApostle

yeah, if he's a '13 i wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. :(  can't win for lutherin'!

then again, OSU didn't offer Trey Burke because they had Aaron Craft.

Whoops.

I mean, sure, Craft's good and all, but you also let him go to your archrival.  Whoops.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

atkins

This kid's the real deal.   His only downside is his height.  Would be a good catch, but I wish he were a power forward....We could use a couple of them for the incoming crew. 

lowposter

I would take Craft over Burke, but it would be a close race.  Both of those are excellent. 

lowposter

milanmiracle

Quote from: lowposter on November 28, 2012, 05:28:46 PM
I would take Craft over Burke, but it would be a close race.  Both of those are excellent. 

lowposter

I too would take Craft over Burke, but it's so close it's a toss up. I did like Trey's game last night against NC State.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 28, 2012, 11:43:53 PMI did like Trey's game last night against NC State.

And how did you feel about Craft's? ;)

GO BLUE
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/virdure-s-late--pointer-pushes-lutheran-north-by-plucky/article_df5d9058-4c90-11e2-be86-001a4bcf6878.html

Virdure's late 3-pointer pushes Lutheran North by plucky Parkway South

Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 4:46 pm

After missing all of the preseason and first four games of the regular season with a foot injury, the Lutheran North senior guard and reigning Metro League player of the year showed all the rust one would expect in Saturday's first-round matchup against Parkway South at the MICDS Holiday Tournament. He was winded early and didn't have much on his jump shot throughout the game.

Until it mattered most.

Trailing by a point, Virdure rose up against a double team and buried a 3-pointer from the left wing with just over two seconds to play to lift Lutheran North to a thrilling 55-53 victory over No. 12 seed Parkway South.

Virdure has still not made a college committment.

valporun

bbtds, how many scholarships does Valpo have remaining, and how many guards could we possibly find minutes for? We need a couple of capable bigs who can hold the ball, and know their role in an offense being, "Stay near the basket, so we can attack the paint with layups", rather than bigs who think they are the next Pistol Pete.

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on December 23, 2012, 12:58:56 PMWe need a couple of capable bigs who can hold the ball, and know their role in an offense being, "Stay near the basket, so we can attack the paint with layups", rather than bigs who think they are the next Pistol Pete.

Let me know when you find one.

Anytime you find as talented a player as Virdure appears to be I believe he's at least worth looking at.

chef

You can never have to many good guards in the Horizon League. Almost everybody plays three guards the majority of minutes. The two top rated recruits coming in next year are not guards. The Crusaders are two deep at every position for next year. Any scholarship used for the following season will be used to bring in the best player available.

crusadermoe

I heard from a Lutheran High alum in St. Louis that Virdure put up 30 the other night.    He also was named 1st team all-state as a football wide receiver.   Sounds like a Big 10 athlete to me.   But never say never.

bbtds

DUCHESNE 70, LUTHERAN NORTH 62

The fourth-seeded Pioneers got a combined 48 points from posts Ryan Tune and Drew Moore to overpower the Crusaders and move on to Friday's semifinal against Ladue.

Mike McDonald added 10 points for Duchesne (6-0, No. 4 SS), which was able to pull away after the Crusaders whittled away the Pioneers' 31-22 halftime lead to one with about three minutes to play.

Shooting guard Anthony Virdure led Lutheran North (4-5, No. 9 SS) with 30 points and nine rebounds. Point guard Isaiah Holman scored 15.

Lutheran North will take on St. Charles in the fifth-place bracket at 3 p.m. Friday.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/sluh-advances-to-semis-by-edging-miller-career/article_47d9b8a0-4fcf-11e2-aa01-0019bb30f31a.html#ixzz2GMpg5N7u

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: chef on December 23, 2012, 11:31:28 PMThe Crusaders are two deep at every position for next year.

Chef's statement leads me to believe that we still might not have the answer to Tx's question on another thread about Chadwick: is he is indeed considered a 4? as that would leave us with:

5:  Capobianco, Fernandez
4:  Adekoya, Peters
3:  Yeo, Rossi
2:  Coleman, Davidson
1:  Dority, Williams

Obviously we could argue over the placement of pretty much any one of the 6 players assigned to 1-3.  But Chadwick would seem to be either 3 or 4 based on his history.

*Only thing, for all those who have a t-shirt with a big red circle-slash over the words "big men taking 3s", is Chadwick has a slightly higher rate of 3pt fg/min than Capo.

Capo takes a 3-pter every 25.8 min (every 20.3 at VU); makes 25.9% (25% at VU); at Rice,
Chadwick took one every 19.3 min; made 22.2%.

atkins

Quote from: valporun on December 23, 2012, 12:58:56 PM
bbtds, how many scholarships does Valpo have remaining, and how many guards could we possibly find minutes for? We need a couple of capable bigs who can hold the ball, and know their role in an offense being, "Stay near the basket, so we can attack the paint with layups", rather than bigs who think they are the next Pistol Pete.

Agree 100 percent with your post!  Guard play is really important, but to go anywhere in the NCAA tournament (as opposed to the Horizon tournament), we need to have a couple of above-average, strong and athletic forwards who can rebound.  A guy like Jubril fits this mold.  Capo does not.  We need one more big, and preferably not an end-of-bench player from a larger university who wants additional minutes. 

atkins

This kid will likely receive some offers from large schools.  He's significantly more talented and versatile than Lexus, although I think Lexus is stronger.  If we can get him (which I doubt), he'd be a great catch.  It would be fun to see what he and Lexus could do together on the floor.  They probably would be a nightmare to guard and would be a defensive whirlwind.
For those of us older BB fans, think of the spectacular small duo of Ron Stokes and Troy Taylor at Ohio State in the early-to-mid 1980s.  Their team had very little help inside during their tenure, but both of them were tremendously athletic point guards under 6' and who, in tandem, single-handledly helped Ohio State notch some big wins against top-20 teams.  That's an era gone by, but both of those guys would have done just as well in today's fast-paced game. 

LaPorteAveApostle

crusadermoe

I think Virdure is 6'0 but may be wrong.     Either way, I get a kick out of watching his stats now.   He scored 32 of the team's 51 points in their last game.

bbtds

Thank you!

2, 5, 8 & 8

as of 12/31/12

bbtds

Surprise, the Post Dispatch website has not updated the HS basketball scores from yesterday but I did find this boxscore.

http://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sports/basketballboys/stats/event436004.php

Virdure's line is:   Pts,FG-FGA,3FG-3FGA,FT-FTA,PF,STL,AST,OFRB,DFRB,TO,BK,GP   

Anthony Virdure   32   14-28   2- 6   2-3   4   2   2   3   4   3   0   1

vuweathernerd

Quote from: bbtds on December 31, 2012, 07:39:31 AM
Surprise, the Post Dispatch website has not updated the HS basketball scores from yesterday but I did find this boxscore.

http://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sports/basketballboys/stats/event436004.php

Virdure's line is:   Pts,FG-FGA,3FG-3FGA,FT-FTA,PF,STL,AST,OFRB,DFRB,TO,BK,GP   

Anthony Virdure   32   14-28   2- 6   2-3   4   2   2   3   4   3   0   1

high schools sports info does not seem to be a priority for the folks at the p-d. they take their sweet time getting around to updating info online. but that is a fairly impressive line.

bbtds

Lutheran North    53
Ft Zumwalt North 56

at DC Wilcutt Tournament at CBC

PTS   FG-FGA   3FG-3FGA  FT-FTA   PF   STL   A    ORB  DRB    TO     BLK     GP
Anthony Virdure   26   10-20      1- 4     5-5        1       2       4       2        7         0      1    1