• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU's biggest need.....

Started by rlh, April 20, 2011, 02:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlh

We have all talked about that VU's biggest need is a big guy inside....and while that is a HUGE need of this team.....I'm not sure it's the biggest need...a friend brought this up to me and I think he may be right....our biggest need may well be that Buggs has to become an offensive threat...because no matter what we have inside, if the opponent can play us 4 on 5, we are in trouble.  The Iona game was a prime example.  The Gaels NEVER guarded Buggs on the perimeter, but took away Broekhoff and Wood with double teams and dropped people back inside against Corey.  Buggs was left to run free but his lack of offense from the outside killed us.  Milwaukee did the same as did Green Bay....my friend's thought, and I think I agree, is we have to get more production from him offensively.  No question about his speed and defense, but he must become an offensive threat if he's going to play major minutes....I don't mean this to be an indictment of Erik, I love watching him play, but it is what it is....I'm sure he's working on his shot this offseason, hopefully it will come around and he'll be at least a threat next year....

vu72

Tommy Kurth may help also.  As I recall he was a scorer in high school but didn't want to pull the trigger his freshmaan year.  If he can score then Erik may be relagated to a densive stopper, which we all know he can be.

As for biggest need, your friend may be on to something.  Is it better to have a seven footer who can play back to the basket and decent defense but is a step slow (the likely kind of big Valpo could attract) or have three 6'6 to 6'8 athletic guys across the front who can run?  Two different styles.  Clearly Valpo's style has changed a lot from the Bryce Drew days when we had a couple of slow 7 footers in the lineup.  Then, we had to play a half court game.

So next year we could go with Ryan at 6'6, Richie at 6'7" and Dino at 6'8".  Add a good sized, good rebounding guard like Matt and are we really all that "undersized".  Now I don't expect a great deal from Dino as a freshman but you hopefully get my point.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rlh

You forgot Kevin, if his back holds up.  He definitely will be in the mix if so....

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu72 on April 20, 2011, 02:26:48 PM
Tommy Kurth may help also.  As I recall he was a scorer in high school but didn't want to pull the trigger his freshmaan year.  If he can score then Erik may be relagated to a densive stopper, which we all know he can be.

I don't rememeber him being a great scorer, but a game manager and distributor. I could be wrong. Could somebody tell me his HS stats? Kurth would have to change his entire mentality to be a replacement for Buggs, though at the end of games he could shoot foul shots.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

sectionee

It would be nice to land another large fella to plug the paint, but I couldn't agree more about the need for Buggs to develop some kind of jump shot.  It doesn't even have to be a three point shot.  Heck, get a 15-18 foot jumper and make it 40% of the time.  I'm a school teacher, I will rebound for the guy all Summer if he stays in town here!  I also would like to see him attack the hoop more often.  With that much space he can get some great momentum heading to the rim before meeting any defenders.

milanmiracle

Quote from: sectionee on April 20, 2011, 08:07:25 PM
It would be nice to land another large fella to plug the paint, but I couldn't agree more about the need for Buggs to develop some kind of jump shot.  It doesn't even have to be a three point shot.  Heck, get a 15-18 foot jumper and make it 40% of the time.  I'm a school teacher, I will rebound for the guy all Summer if he stays in town here!  I also would like to see him attack the hoop more often.  With that much space he can get some great momentum heading to the rim before meeting any defenders.

Buggs problem isn't getting to the rim, it's deciding what to do when he gets there. He got better at the decision making this year, so lets hope that continues.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

zvillehaze

Quote from: milanmiracle on April 20, 2011, 06:38:40 PM
Tommy Kurth may help also.  As I recall he was a scorer in high school but didn't want to pull the trigger his freshmaan year.  If he can score then Erik may be relagated to a densive stopper, which we all know he can be.
I don't rememeber him being a great scorer, but a game manager and distributor. I could be wrong. Could somebody tell me his HS stats? Kurth would have to change his entire mentality to be a replacement for Buggs, though at the end of games he could shoot foul shots.

http://etpearlstj.homestead.com/penn2000s.html

vu72

Here is what ESPN had to say about Tommy coming out of high school:

March, 2009: Kurth is a true point that is also a good athlete. He is an improved shooter that allows him to slide over and help at the shooting guard position as well. He is an excellent ball handler and passer. He finds the open man with his great court vision and can get into the lane for drive draw and kick situations. Kurth does a great job of running the offense and has good leadership skills as well. He can make the open shot with range to the arc. On defense he is a smart defender that applies good ball pressure and plays the passing lanes for steals. Kurth provides Valpo with a coach on the floor that can also make scoring plays when needed.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

PatVU07

Should we ever need to run the Pacer play again he should be pretty good inbounding.  He did start at QB as a freshman for one of the top football schools in the state.

milanmiracle

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 20, 2011, 09:12:12 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on April 20, 2011, 06:38:40 PM

http://etpearlstj.homestead.com/penn2000s.html

Thank you sir! I can never find that site when I want it!

14.3 pts per as a senior (7-14)
15.5 pts per as a junior (14-8)
9.0 pts per as a soph. (21-4)