• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/9/19 VU @ CSU Game Thread

Started by talksalot, February 06, 2013, 10:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on February 08, 2013, 04:40:12 PM
My cousin graduated from Cleveland Chiropractic (in Los Angeles) after she did her undergraduate at Depauw.  Not sure if this place was named after someone with that name, or if it is originally from Cleveland, but I am told it is a solid program for chiropractors.  Just 3-4 years after she graduated, she already owns her business with 10 other chiropractors on staff in LA, and they are utilized by the US women's soccer team often, among other top athletes...

No connection between Cleveland Chiropractic College of Kansas City and Cleveland Clinic

http://www.cleveland.edu/

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/default.aspx

http://www.cleveland.edu/alumni/los-angeles-information/ (apparantly the Cleveland Chiropractic College location in Los Angeles has closed)

valpopal

As we await the Cleveland State game, I have now posted more than 40 of my photos from the UIC game for anyone interested. Here is a sample, but the rest can be found at my Valpo Basketball Photography blog: http://photography226.wordpress.com/

wh

VU bench looks to keep rolling
By Michael Osipoff 648-3137 or mosipoff@post-trib.com February 8, 2013 8:58PM

Updated: February 8, 2013 9:16PM

VALPARAISO — In its last two games, Valparaiso has won handily. In those two games, its bench has contributed significantly to the blowouts.

"The guys have been playing very well — LaVonte (Dority), Bobby (Capobianco), Jordan (Coleman), Vashil (Fernandez), and then last game it was Matt (Kenney) who came in," Crusaders coach Bryce Drew said. "They've come in, and with us subbing, we haven't missed a beat. They've kept the same intensity, and really just brought a lot of energy with them."

The group will try to maintain that level when Valparaiso (18-6, 8-2 Horizon League), which has won consecutive league games by at least 25 points for the first time since January of 2003, plays Cleveland State (12-12, 4-6) on Saturday at the Wolstein Center, in a game televised by ESPN2.

Dority has averaged 11.7 points over the last three games, including two 13-point performances. After Capobianco had eight points, nine rebounds and two blocked shots against Milwaukee, he followed up with 10 points, nine rebounds and nine assists against UIC.

"Bobby had his best game in a Valpo uniform, just really played well," Drew said. "He was a big key to our team."

After missing the better part of two games because of back problems, Kenney returned with nine points, five rebounds and five assists against the Flames. Ben Boggs has started the last two games, after having started the first 12 games of the season. Who starts against the Vikings remains to be seen.

"We feel very confident in Ben and very confident in Matt," Drew said. "We'll see how Matt's feeling, we'll see how the rest of our guys are feeling, and make a decision before the game. And I think both are comfortable in either role, which makes it nice. They've been used to it for a while. And, last game, Ben and Matt played really well together at the end of the first half."

Kenney, who has 11 starts this season, just was happy to be back on the court.

"Obviously I like starting, but Ben does a great job," he said. "Me and him have kind of traded on and off. Either way, because Coach Bryce plays a lot of people — LaVonte comes off the bench and plays starter minutes, other guys come off the bench and play starter minutes. It's just who's playing well at the time, and he'll leave them in. It doesn't really matter to me."

Boggs actually missed Valparaiso's first game against Cleveland State, because of turf toe. Changes have occurred since the Crusaders, who were coming off a league-opening loss to Loyola, routed the Vikings, who were playing their first conference game of the season, 74-50 on Jan. 4 at the ARC.

"They're a different team in some ways," Drew said. "They have a lot of freshmen that they're playing, and now they have a lot more experience, and they're playing that way. They have a lot more confidence, and they're really executing well on offense and defense. Coach (Gary) Waters does a tremendous job."

Freshman guard Bryn Forbes (11.7 points per game) is the leading active scorer for Cleveland State, which has won back-to-back games, at UIC and against Youngstown State, after four straight losses.

Junior big man Devon Long scored 23 points against the Penguins on Tuesday, a career high and the most by a Vikings player this season.

"They play especially well at home, and they really have been playing a lot better than when we faced them the first time," Ryan Broekhoff said. "We're not going into this thinking it's going to go all our way like it did the first game. We're preparing, going over any changes they might have made, and we're really focused. It's going to be a big test."

Kenney scored a team-high 14 points in the Crusaders' first game against the Vikings.

"If we go in and dictate the pace, and keep doing what we've been doing, we can come out with a win," he said. "But I know they're going to be ready, they're going to play loose. They're going to want to knock us off, first place; that probably will give them some momentum, to show that they can beat the first-place team."

CSU Fan

Some CSU folks are gathering before the game at the Viking Tavern (1818 Euclid Ave, south side of Euclid Ave, just East of E. 18 St, about a block from the Wolstein Center). It would be fun to meet some of you folks and compare notes.

valpo04

Quote from: CSU Fan on February 09, 2013, 07:47:38 AM
Some CSU folks are gathering before the game at the Viking Tavern (1818 Euclid Ave, south side of Euclid Ave, just East of E. 18 St, about a block from the Wolstein Center). It would be fun to meet some of you folks and compare notes.

I don't know, CSU Fan, I watched the video and read the comments above...is it safe??  ;)

bbtds

I think you guys have to show some kind of religious connection before Valpo board fans will attend an event like this....ala ORU...just not quite that crazy.  ;)

CSU Fan

Ha! The video is pretty funny, but  if you're serious, my view is it's like any big-city downtown. Especially during the day it's fine but don't walk around texting with your head down - people have had cell phones grabbed but it's not an everyday occurance.

CSU Fan

And being a Cleveland sports fan is challenging to any religious belief. You may hear frequent references to the deity during games but not the type a good Catholic would like.

a3uge

Quick, paint Valpo's area code on the wall while they're all in there.

valpocleveland

Do they still have Hoopy Hour at the arena before the game?

CSU Fan

I don't think there's a Hoopy Hour today - the game notes say there will be a Kid's Zone. Let's hope those are two different events (they are). Regular beer prices are no longer cheap at the Wolstein - Bud etc. is $6, and Great Lakes beers - which really are good - are $8.

valpocleveland

Thanks for the heads up. Is Viking Tavern connected to a pizza place, I may have been there before. I am partial to Becky's.

agibson

I'm seeing Vegas lines like Valpo by 7.5, Valpo by 8.

I'm seeing other predictions that are closer: Valpo by 5, Valpo by 1.

Smj

Thanks for posting CSU Fan...   If I was coming to the game I would definitely stop by.   I like when fans of different teams get together and discuss teams.   Usually makes for some very interesting discussion. 

Glad to hear VU will have some fans making the trip.   (Also very cool that Koala gets to see the team in person - REALLY hope you get to see Ryan play the way we have - and with such class....)

valpotx

Quote from: CSU Fan on February 09, 2013, 08:36:07 AM
Ha! The video is pretty funny, but  if you're serious, my view is it's like any big-city downtown. Especially during the day it's fine but don't walk around texting with your head down - people have had cell phones grabbed but it's not an everyday occurance.

Have you been to many other big-city downtown areas??  Downtown Dallas is safe, clean, and looks 'fancy' in many places. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on February 08, 2013, 09:34:23 AMObligatory: Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Dude, took the words right out of my digital mouth, although you should have started with the first one (because the second one's funnier).

HASTILY MADE CLEVELAND TOURISM VIDEO

and in honor of CSU, a video the same guy made for TNT, that makes fun of not The Cleve but Charles Barkley and the NBA in happier, LeBron-filled times:  Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: NBA on TNT version
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusadermoe

We were playing GREAT.....but suddenly 3 turnovers and we are down by just 8.     C'mon man!!

govalpogo

Good road win!  Score makes it seem closer than it was. 

StlVUFan

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 09, 2013, 04:38:20 PM
We were playing GREAT.....but suddenly 3 turnovers and we are down by just 8.     C'mon man!!
If we lose the championship game again because half our team got injured with impunity today, just like last year, I'm going to lose it.

agibson

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 09, 2013, 04:38:20 PMbut suddenly 3 turnovers

3 turnovers... in a row - never helps!  Seemed like they kept passing it into the corner against the press... Probably the worst we've looked against the press this season?

But, Cleveland State was true to form - the one team with (barely) more turnovers per game than us.  And they showed it tonight.

Credit to Cleveland State though, they definitely never gave up.

Fewest rebounds from Rowdy in... memory?  Looks like the last time he had as few as three was against Georgia Southern, where he played just 23 minutes.  Last time he had just three in starter's minutes?  Loyola Marymount last year.

agibson

Todd claimed, in the last postgame segment, that we could clinch the Horizon League by winning the next two.

Tantalizing!

But....  couldn't Youngstown, in particular, still catch us at 11-5, with the tiebreaker?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on February 09, 2013, 05:19:28 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on February 09, 2013, 04:38:20 PMbut suddenly 3 turnovers

3 turnovers... in a row - never helps!  Seemed like they kept passing it into the corner against the press... Probably the worst we've looked against the press this season?

But, Cleveland State was true to form - the one team with (barely) more turnovers per game than us.  And they showed it tonight.

Credit to Cleveland State though, they definitely never gave up.

Fewest rebounds from Rowdy in... memory?  Looks like the last time he had as few as three was against Georgia Southern, where he played just 23 minutes.  Last time he had just three in starter's minutes?  Loyola Marymount last year.

and i think they might have actually been below their average in cheap shots today too

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on February 09, 2013, 05:27:01 PM
Todd claimed, in the last postgame segment, that we could clinch the Horizon League by winning the next two.

Tantalizing!

But....  couldn't Youngstown, in particular, still catch us at 11-5, with the tiebreaker?

we still have 1 left against them, so we can nullify that one if we beat them

wh

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 09, 2013, 05:29:25 PM
Quote from: agibson on February 09, 2013, 05:27:01 PM

Tantalizing!

we still have 1 left against them, so we can nullify that one if we beat them

As Todd suggests, if we beat WSU and Det in our next 2 games, it's over.  Maybe not officially, but a 3 game lead with 3 games left - it's over.