• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/19/2013: Valpo @ Loyola

Started by ValpoHoops, February 17, 2013, 11:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoHoops

Good game to get rolling again...frustrations from Saturday, as well as revenge from earlier this year.

Rowdy has a nice night (18 & 13) and KVW dominates inside (26 points on 9-13 shooting)

Valpo wins 83-59. 

jloose128

With Averkamp and Payne questionable if not out (I haven't seen the latest on either of them to be honest), it looks like a shorthanded Loyola team we will face on Tuesday. I just hope we can learn our lessons from yesterday and start our end of season run in Chicago. Valpo 77, Loyola 68

Smj

I think we will win....   But Loyola knew how to play us last time so I sure hope we have a different game plan this time around.
(Wonder if we well see Coleman.)

talksalot

Our #45 likes playing in front of their student section... the "Rowdies"... Valpo by 18...

valpotx

If Averkamp if out as mentioned above, we should win by 15+.  If my math is correct, as long as we beat Loyola and YSU, we will be the 1 seed.  This is assuming that WSU and GB will finish #3 and #4, with who is where not an issue (YSU would be out of the picture with our win against them).  Detroit split with both WSU and GB, so even if we lost to GB, we would hold the tie-breaker once we go to how each played against the #3, then #4.  Once we get to how we did against WSU, we own the tie breaker.  We should just win all 3 to be safe though  ;).

Valpo 73
Loyola 61
(prediction with Averkamp)
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Well, the trends for Game #26 and Game #27 of the season have continued.   (we have now lost 6 straight "Game #27", each to a different HL Team... that was our first one at home... but...)   

anyway, Game #28 over the past 20 seasons...

We are 8-0 at home, 4-1 on Neutral Sites (all Mid-Con Tournament games) and 4-3 in true road games.  Losses @ Wright State in the Mid-Con eons ago, and losses @ Chicago State and @ Western Michigan's BRONCHOS in the BBuster   We are 16-4 over the past 20 years...and we have WON 5 straight.  (UIC, Akron, Youngstown State, Missouri State and Miami (OH).

The stars seem to be in alignment for a bounceback.

valpotx

This is a critical game for us.  I like our odds for the next 2 home games, but we REALLY need this one to take the pressure off the last game at GB.  If we don't perform against Loyola, to get the #1 seed, we need to beat YSU at home, and GB at their place...much harder
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Loyola looked horrible when they played another horrible team last week. I can't possibly see Valpo dropping this game.

Valpo 78 Loyola 60

vuweathernerd

Quote from: HC on February 17, 2013, 12:25:08 PM
Valpo by 2 dozen

but with our backups for the last several minutes. we need to win this one so that i can regain bragging rights in my family. my cousin's a freshman at loyola.

bbtds

agibson

I'm not seeing much definitive on Averkamp and Payne.

They're mentioned at e.g.
http://www.loyolaramblers.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/021613aaa.html
and
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-16/sports/ct-spt-0217-uic-loyola-basketball--20130217_1_uic-coach-howard-moore-gentile-arena-gary-talton

Sounds like they both practiced the day before the game, and were last minute scrubs.

"Averkamp has been suffering from concussion symptoms while Payne is dealing a left thumb injury."

A concussion doesn't sound like something that should keep you out for too long...

Oh, and "he Ramblers were recharged by the return of Joe Crisman, who is arguably the team's best defender but had been forced to the sidelines the last five games because of an injury. "

crusadermoe

Just win this one.     Loss would be a disaster.    Should be fine now that our rotation is more clear than in first game with them.

valpotx

Quote from: agibson on February 18, 2013, 10:53:42 AM

and
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-16/sports/ct-spt-0217-uic-loyola-basketball--20130217_1_uic-coach-howard-moore-gentile-arena-gary-talton

Sounds like they both practiced the day before the game, and were last minute scrubs.

"Averkamp has been suffering from concussion symptoms while Payne is dealing a left thumb injury."

A concussion doesn't sound like something that should keep you out for too long...

Oh, and "he Ramblers were recharged by the return of Joe Crisman, who is arguably the team's best defender but had been forced to the sidelines the last five games because of an injury. "

Tell Chris Kaman that concussion symptoms shouldn't keep you out a long period of time  :).  He is ticked off that he still hasn't been cleared to play, as it has been about 1 month now.  It isn't to be messed with nowadays.
"Don't mess with Texas"

78crusader

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on February 18, 2013, 11:31:04 AM
Quote from: agibson on February 18, 2013, 10:53:42 AM

and

Tell Chris Kaman that concussion symptoms shouldn't keep you out a long period of time  :).  He is ticked off that he still hasn't been cleared to play, as it has been about 1 month now.  It isn't to be messed with nowadays.
I agree that since the former NFL players came out with their lawsuit because of all the studies that were made of the brains of former NFL players nobody takes a concussion lightly. Yes, before they might have but not anymore. I have a feeling the Loyola staff will keep Averkamp out until they are for sure he has totally recovered.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on February 17, 2013, 05:58:29 PM
If Averkamp if out as mentioned above, we should win by 15+.  If my math is correct, as long as we beat Loyola and YSU, we will be the 1 seed.  This is assuming that WSU and GB will finish #3 and #4, with who is where not an issue (YSU would be out of the picture with our win against them).  Detroit split with both WSU and GB, so even if we lost to GB, we would hold the tie-breaker once we go to how each played against the #3, then #4.  Once we get to how we did against WSU, we own the tie breaker.
I believe you are correct, sir.  The same kind of scenario can happen if we lose to YSU, but then they have a chance to participate with GB and WSU so that would muddy things up, though at 12 wins, that would mean we sweep GB and therefore even YSU would not be enough to give it to Detroit, and the next tiebreaker would most likely involve UIC and/or CSU, which would definitely break the tie in our favor.

Valpo89

In high school, you have to pass a "baseline test" or something like that before you can return to action. My niece plays for Boone Grove's high school team, and she missed a couple games after hitting her head diving into the bleachers. She missed the sectional because she didn't pass the concussion test, but she was cleared a week later for the regional. My son runs track and cross country, and they have to take a concussion test before the season even though it's not a contact sport. So I'm sure Division I athletes have to do something along the same lines.

agibson

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ValpoHoops

The ImPACT (http://www.impacttest.com/) is currently one of the more widely used. A lot of colleges use it, as well as some pro leagues.

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on February 18, 2013, 12:34:22 AMLoyola looked horrible when they played another horrible team last week. I can't possibly see Valpo dropping this game. Valpo 78 Loyola 60

I thought Loyola was bad going into the conference season but they still managed to beat us at the ARC.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Speaking of the Tweety bird, Paul Oren chimed in ~20 minutes ago on Loyola.  Payne is 29 MPG for Loyola.  (Crisman, who missed ~5 games but recently returned, is 27.  Averkamp is 33 and huge, of course.)

Presumably it'll be pretty hard to keep Averkamp out of the game.

Paul Oren ‏@NWIOren
Ben Averkamp is game-time decision. Averkamp had game-high 16 points and four blocks. Both big losses for Loyola, but Ramblers have adapted.

20 mins Paul Oren Paul Oren ‏@NWIOren
On the injury front, Cully Payne is OUT for Loyola. Payne had 13 points, seven assists in Loyola's 63-54 win at the ARC on Jan. 4.

KL31NY

Actual headline and lead paragraph from valpoathletics.com with the game preview/notes

QuoteCrusader Men Return to Action Tuesday at Loyola
The Valparaiso men's basketball team looks to get back on the winning track Tuesday evening as the Crusaders make the short trip to Chicago to face Loyola at 7 p.m. Valpo maintains a half-game lead in the Horizon League standings with three league contests remaining. And, if you haven't seen it yet, check out the attached video to see the Valparaizone doing the Harlem Shake at last Saturday's game!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

LaPorteAveApostle

Maybe we'll get to see Valpo's Bill(y) Clark in this one--hasn't gotten a fraction of the fractional PT he got last year, but he did play in four games in a row before sitting out the last one!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/58489/bill-clark
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa