• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Next season's "glue guy?"

Started by dcvalpo, May 03, 2011, 10:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcvalpo

This year, we had a couple of guys who brought a lot of energy to the floor with their hustle and hardnosed play---"glue guys" so to speak.  Most people I have talked to agree that our glue guy this year was either Howard Little or Mike Rogers.  Both of those guys did a lot of little things for us...took charges, got on the floor, rebounded well, made layups (I've blocked the Milwaukee game out of my mind), etc.  You can debate who was the "permanent" glue and who was the "Elmer's" glue, but they both were a big part of our success.

The question is, who brings that energy to the floor this year? Who holds the team together by doing the little things?

vu72

This team has a lot of character and players of character.  Those guys will all bring "glue" to the team and will include Matt, Ryan, Tommy, Erik and of course, Brandon.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

hoopfan22

Quote from: vu72 on May 03, 2011, 11:14:16 AM
This team has a lot of character and players of character.  Those guys will all bring "glue" to the team and will include Matt, Ryan, Tommy, Erik and of course, Brandon.

He's not coming back.

sectionee

LOL
I really like what Kevin brings to the table.  He is kind of the anti-Homer in how he bangs around on the inside and plays a little dirty.  If healthy, I think he is a glue guy for this team.

dcvalpo

Quote from: sectionee on May 03, 2011, 11:49:41 AM
LOL
I really like what Kevin brings to the table.  He is kind of the anti-Homer in how he bangs around on the inside and plays a little dirty.  If healthy, I think he is a glue guy for this team.

I also like Kevin as the glue guy...he is certainly not as soft as Cory, that's for sure.

Valpo89

I'm not sure about glue, but I think Ryan Broekhoff will be the best player on next year's team.

hoopfan22

Quote from: sectionee on May 03, 2011, 11:49:41 AM
LOL
That's not Anti Homer. Tony V anyone?

humbleopinion

I worry about Kevin being too brittle to serve as glue. i really like Ryan, but I see him as the potential star-power that needs to be attached to the rest of the team.
I think that Kenney can fill the void -- he has skills, strength, and the right attitude.
Beamin' Beacons

DMvalpo18

I SO agree with you dcvalpo! howard little and mike rogers were without question the glue. they will leave a void in that regard. my two cents on next years' glue guy would most likely have to be van wijk or kenney. kenney could very develop into more of a scoring role next year, so he may not be in the conversation as the glue guy per se. but i have to also agree with previously stated comments here about the heart of this crusader team.

bbtds

I got one for you. Van Wijk is the old horse with the sore back that they make the glue out of.......huh?

covufan

If BWood does not return, guard play will need to be the 'glue', with others stepping up in their roles at the other positions.

dcvalpo

Quote from: vu72 on May 03, 2011, 11:14:16 AM

But who is the glue "guy"?  Please don't derail the entire thread by posting something other than a legitimate answer to the question.  :)

dcvalpo

You know, I feel like I am giving VU72 too tough a time here.  It is no secret that he and I have had our differences over the last two months.  I typically come at things with a really positive perspective, so I get a little ruffled when I hear negativity being spewed.  Yet, I know that VU72 is kind of a legend around these parts and he has had his fair share of great posts...many of which I have read with admiration and respect. 

So, long story short, I would like a truce VU72.  I'm game if you're game! :)

StlVUFan

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 05, 2011, 01:15:58 PM
You know, I feel like I am giving VU72 too tough a time here.  It is no secret that he and I have had our differences over the last two months.  I typically come at things with a really positive perspective, so I get a little ruffled when I hear negativity being spewed.  Yet, I know that VU72 is kind of a legend around these parts and he has had his fair share of great posts...many of which I have read with admiration and respect. 

I think there are tons of posters around here with far more negativity to bring to the table than vu72.  Some of them will even be happy to announce themselves.

I think you are aiming way too low.  But I don't want to mess up your truce ;)

milanmiracle

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 05, 2011, 09:15:53 PM

I think there are tons of posters around here with far more negativity to bring to the table than vu72.  Some of them will even be happy to announce themselves.

I think you are aiming way too low.  But I don't want to mess up your truce ;)

Did somebody negativity? Hmm...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vu72

Really didn't know we were in some sort of battle but a truce works for me! :thumbsup:  There are obviously those on the board who don't always agree with any of us.  That is the nature of a fan board and good for a lively discussion.  And...I still think Butler isn't head and shoulders better than Valpo!!!!!!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

dcvalpo

Quote from: vu72 on May 06, 2011, 06:54:00 AM

Really didn't know we were in some sort of battle but a truce works for me! :thumbsup:  There are obviously those on the board who don't always agree with any of us.  That is the nature of a fan board and good for a lively discussion.  And...I still think Butler isn't head and shoulders better than Valpo!!!!!!   ;)

Thanks, friend...I didn't really look at our disagreements as that major either, but it seems as if several on this board may have been put off by us going at it.  We are two of the most highly respected posters on this board and together we can really accomplish more than if we are going at it.  Thanks for agreeing to the truce and I look forward to smooth posting waters ahead!

DMvalpo18

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 08, 2011, 04:49:21 PM

Thanks, friend...I didn't really look at our disagreements as that major either, but it seems as if several on this board may have been put off by us going at it.  We are two of the most highly respected posters on this board and together we can really accomplish more than if we are going at it.  Thanks for agreeing to the truce and I look forward to smooth posting waters ahead!

yes, you are a highly respected poster....you can just tell by the high amount of posts you have on your resume'.

dcvalpo

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 08, 2011, 07:10:58 PM

yes, you are a highly respected poster....you can just tell by the high amount of posts you have on your resume'.

Well, I'm not "all that," but I do feel like I have earned a certain level of respect from the majority of the big boys around here.  I've earned my stripes, so to speak.  I'm not an expert by any means, just a guy with some inside knowledge and quite a bit of expertise when it comes to analyzing the game.  Thanks for the props, man.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 08, 2011, 07:21:20 PM

Well, I'm not "all that," but I do feel like I have earned a certain level of respect from the majority of the big boys around here.  I've earned my stripes, so to speak.  I'm not an expert by any means, just a guy with some inside knowledge and quite a bit of expertise when it comes to analyzing the game.  Thanks for the props, man.

i have to agree with your assessment. for all things keith, you are the first guy i go to. it's refreshing to have somebody who believes in him and his system. his work ethic doesn't go unnoticed.

dcvalpo

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 08, 2011, 07:24:50 PM
Quote from: dcvalpo on May 08, 2011, 07:21:20 PM

i have to agree with your assessment. for all things keith, you are the first guy i go to. it's refreshing to have somebody who believes in him and his system. his work ethic doesn't go unnoticed.

I appreciate that respect and will definitely keep you in the loop on the Keith home front.  By the way, I like your handle...love to see people reppin' the Valpo name!