• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Which newcomer/bench player will make the biggest impact this season?

Started by dcvalpo, May 10, 2011, 10:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which newcomer will make the biggest impact this season?

Ben Boggs
8 (47.1%)
Dino Jakolis
1 (5.9%)
Richie Edwards
8 (47.1%)
Hrvoje Vucic
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

dcvalpo

Who do you think steps in and makes an immediate impact?  My vote is for Boggs as I see his major experience as the difference between he and the other guys

valpo04

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 10, 2011, 10:38:25 AM
Who do you think steps in and makes an immediate impact?  My vote is for Boggs as I see his major experience as the difference between he and the other guys

I agree. His experience, plus having the talent to make an ACC team should give him the ability to have an immediate impact in the HL.

sectionee

I went with Edwards.  I'm excited about both he and Boggs and their potential for immediate impact.  Isn't Boggs not eligible to play until January? 

valpopal

I voted for Edwards because I think there will be playing time immediately open for him, and Boggs might have to wait until January. However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the stars align and Homer also discovers a big player somewhere to recruit who could surprise us all and make an impact in the paint. I know, wishful thinking on my part, but Van Wijk was a late entry to the team last year.

CrusaderFan1

From what i have heard, Boggs will be eligible about 7-8 games into the season.  After the schools is done with first semester, he can play that night.  IDK the exact date but i would assume around Dec 15th to 18th.  If it was the scenario this year he would have missed 10 games, but i would assume if the coaches are planning on him playing they would try to push games back if they could which is why i guessed 7 to 8.  Not too bad out of a 35 game season and definately not half the season.

Edwards is going to be a fantastic addition for us.  He can play the 3 or 4 from what I have read online.  That will free up Broekhoff to play some 3 hopefully, which is probably his more natural position.

Jakolis will be a good, smart player. Who knows about freshman though, he could play a lot or have minimal playing time.

I think everyone agrees on here, we could use another Big.  Hopefully we can get a late addition.

Hope my small window of knowledge from the great internet helps, take it for what its worth!

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on May 10, 2011, 12:15:56 PM
I voted for Edwards because I think there will be playing time immediately open for him, and Boggs might have to wait until January. However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the stars align and Homer also discovers a big player somewhere to recruit who could surprise us all and make an impact in the paint. I know, wishful thinking on my part, but Van Wijk was a late entry to the team last year.

Ditto.  We have more good guards than positions available.  If Dino wants to play guard at 6'7", then he'll really need to hit the 3's and play some good team defense.

PatVU07

Of those 7 to 10 games that Boggs will miss half of them will be against worthless NAIA/D3 schools any how....

rlh

Quote from: PatVU07 on May 10, 2011, 09:01:19 PM
Of those 7 to 10 games that Boggs will miss half of them will be against worthless NAIA/D3 schools any how....
doubt it......never more than two, except for exhibitions.....I'm assuming you were being facetious.....I hope so anyway

valporun

Quote from: rlh on May 10, 2011, 09:05:12 PM
Quote from: PatVU07 on May 10, 2011, 09:01:19 PM
doubt it......never more than two, except for exhibitions.....I'm assuming you were being facetious.....I hope so anyway

I think some of that also depends on the field for whatever tournaments we'll play in, but Boggs can definitely start to play once the last day of finals has been completed, so if the last final is done at 5PM on that Friday of Finals week, then he can play at 6 or 7 that same evening.

DMvalpo18

i'm going with boggs too. jakolis is just a freshman is raw and unproven at this point. plus i think there is something to be said coming from an acc program.