• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Big Men coming?

Started by rlh, May 14, 2011, 02:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on May 15, 2011, 11:32:28 AM
Quote from: rlh on May 15, 2011, 09:17:31 AM
I haven't heard of anyone leaving, but that doesn't mean there isn't someone contemplating a move.  We have all our scholarships taken I believe, so the only way to get either or both of these guys would be for a spot to open up.  I think I'm right about that...I guess we'll just have to wait and see

I think you have 13 scholarship available.  Last year we had 12 guys on scholarship--look at the roster.  We lose Cory, Mike, Howard and Brandon.  That takes us down to 8.  We add Edwards, Jakolis, Boggs and Bogan.  That still leaves us at 12.  We have room for 1 and I think the first one to accept gets it.  I suppose if both wanted to come perhaps a guy like Vucic would see the handwritng on the wall as he still has three years of eligibility. Cam is in hs final year so sure don't see him going anywhere.  It also depends on their progress and expectations for next year playing time.  I still think you might see Dino redshirt(which has no impact on scholarships), although I have had no conversations with anyone in that regard.

I was coming to the same conclusion - we should have one scholly left.  Hopefully a big who can contribute at least 8 minutes a game next year!

lowposter

Someone had mentioned earlier that one scholarship had been used for summer school for the players.  Is that correct?  How many players have been on the scholarship lately?  If VU does use one for summer school, is that normal for D1 schools? 

lowposter

StlVUFan

Quote from: covufan on May 16, 2011, 01:14:24 PM
I was coming to the same conclusion - we should have one scholly left.

I'm not singling you out, I've just never raised this before.

When did it become okay to just make up abbreviations on the fly?  5 years ago?  10?  I can recall being in an online fan group for a TV show and people talking about "did you see the latest ep (or eppy)?"  And that was long before Joss Whedon brought forth Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in which every ep introduced a new made-up abbreviation.

It's obviously not a big deal (but then this is the off season), it just bugs me for some reason.  ???

dcvalpo

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 18, 2011, 02:11:44 PM

When did it become okay to just make up abbreviations on the fly?  5 years ago?  10?  I can recall being in an online fan group for a TV show and people talking about "did you see the latest ep (or eppy)?"  And that was long before Joss Whedon brought forth Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in which every ep introduced a new made-up abbreviation.

It's obviously not a big deal (but then this is the off season), it just bugs me for some reason.  ???
:thumbsup:

bbtds

When did it become okay to just make up abbreviations on the fly?  5 years ago?  10?  I can recall being in an online fan group for a TV show and people talking about "did you see the latest ep (or eppy)?"  And that was long before Joss Whedon brought forth Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in which every ep introduced a new made-up abbreviation.

It's obviously not a big deal (but then this is the off season), it just bugs me for some reason.  ???

You got the bugs? I could tell by your resp. No prob. My SIL told me there will be many new abbrevs ITNF.  :)

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on May 18, 2011, 03:08:48 PM

You got the bugs? I could tell by your resp. No prob. My SIL told me there will be many new abbrevs ITNF.  :)

Cell-phone texting abbreviations I get.  It's full-keyboard message board/online forum unlimited-character-length made-up-abbreviations that mystify me.  8)

bbtds

What do you think of the Hawks uniforms with the "ATL" on the front in big letters?

The newest one I have seen is instead of using ME for Maine they use BS instead for Bay State. What good is that but I understand it's become very popular.

dcvalpo

Quote from: bbtds on May 19, 2011, 12:46:34 PM
What do you think of the Hawks uniforms with the "ATL" on the front in big letters?

The newest one I have seen is instead of using ME for Maine they use BS instead for Bay State. What good is that but I understand it's become very popular.

I believe Phoenix uses PHX on some jerseys...awful

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on May 19, 2011, 12:46:34 PM

ATL is a long established abbreviation for Atlanta.

covufan

:lol:

Thought I had seen it on this or the previous board - wasn't trying to make a new abbreviation. 

bbtds

@TEOTD we still have no big man.

(at the end of the day)

valpopal

Apparently, the 6' 9" TCU transfer, Nikola Cerina, has chosen Northwestern:

http://www.sippinonpurple.com/2011/5/20/2182245/tcu-forward-nikola-cerina-to-transfer-to-northwestern

That leaves the other big man, 6' 11" Vashil Fernandez, who was reported to be leaning toward Valpo.

FWalum

Can anyone confirm this quote from Jim Basnight's College Hoops Blog. Pac-12 Roundup and Washington Husky Huddle for May 11th 2011 (Part One) 
QuoteVashil Fernandez of Jamaica and Princeton Day Academy will not be coming to UW, as he committed to Valparaiso on Wednesday, according to numerous reports. Fernandez never received a UW offer, though he did visit the UW campus.
Watched some video on this kid and while he is raw and ball watches a lot with limited anticipation he is athletic and seems to know what to do with the ball when he is close to the basket. Would be a good get if this rumor is true.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

DMvalpo18

Quote from: FWalum on May 21, 2011, 08:13:01 AM
Can anyone confirm this quote from Jim Basnight's College Hoops Blog. Pac-12 Roundup and Washington Husky Huddle for May 11th 2011 (Part One) 
QuoteVashil Fernandez of Jamaica and Princeton Day Academy will not be coming to UW, as he committed to Valparaiso on Wednesday, according to numerous reports. Fernandez never received a UW offer, though he did visit the UW campus.
Watched some video on this kid and while he is raw and ball watches a lot with limited anticipation he is athletic and seems to know what to do with the ball when he is close to the basket. Would be a good get if this rumor is true.

if he has supposedly committed, then why is all that we know about it just a rumor? don't you think we would have read about it somewhere?

dcvalpo

Quote from: tommydee46 on May 21, 2011, 03:46:35 PM
Some of you on this so called "forum"....worry too much about offending someone or your "political correctness"... You know who you are... Let people post whatever their view might be...as long as they are not vulgar!!
:twocents:        Now is the time to make some changes player wise and coaching wise......Cameron Witt unproductive for 3 years.....he becomes my student manager.  Not a hard worker by any
means, thus opening up a scholarship if that is possible...if not, time to play hardball, he's gotten 120,000$ worth of education. 
Coaching change.....I am sure they want a change or two....but who with experience wants to be the lowest paid assistant in the conference....our assistants are the lowest paid , fact.
Even Coach Drew was not given his due...he is (was) the 7th lowest of 10 coaches, at least that is what I could surmise from my research.  22 years of service, making Valpo a household name in
the world of basketball , yet to be one of the lowest paid.....
Question: Do you think Coach Bryce has been given any "direction" for the hiring of coaches?   Such as a minority?  Or one with DI experience?  Just a thought...and if that is the case, it will be only
because of the Drews that one would come...hard to live on 40 to 50 thou with a family.    Say you?
Getting back to my original comment about posting....go view some other blogs of major and mid-major universtities and see what we are missing!!!   Very entertaining .
Now, I've got to run for cover from the fallout that is sure to happen when some of the old guard get a hold of this post.   :lol:

tommydee46

Thanks BENCHWARMER...just some thoughts, don't know how relative a few might be. It's like making a BMW on VW money....can't be done.

valpo04

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 21, 2011, 05:04:23 PM
Quote from: tommydee46 on May 21, 2011, 03:46:35 PM
Some of you on this so called "forum"....worry too much about offending someone or your "political correctness"... You know who you are... Let people post whatever their view might be...as long as they are not vulgar!!
:twocents:        Now is the time to make some changes player wise and coaching wise......Cameron Witt unproductive for 3 years.....he becomes my student manager.  Not a hard worker by any
means, thus opening up a scholarship if that is possible...if not, time to play hardball, he's gotten 120,000$ worth of education. 
Coaching change.....I am sure they want a change or two....but who with experience wants to be the lowest paid assistant in the conference....our assistants are the lowest paid , fact.
Even Coach Drew was not given his due...he is (was) the 7th lowest of 10 coaches, at least that is what I could surmise from my research.  22 years of service, making Valpo a household name in
the world of basketball , yet to be one of the lowest paid.....
Question: Do you think Coach Bryce has been given any "direction" for the hiring of coaches?   Such as a minority?  Or one with DI experience?  Just a thought...and if that is the case, it will be only
because of the Drews that one would come...hard to live on 40 to 50 thou with a family.    Say you?
Getting back to my original comment about posting....go view some other blogs of major and mid-major universtities and see what we are missing!!!   Very entertaining .
Now, I've got to run for cover from the fallout that is sure to happen when some of the old guard get a hold of this post.   :lol:

Where did this come from and better yet... where did it go?

...and funny that dcvalpo gave this the thumbsup...since he isposting his conce about hurting people's feelings and giving them "unfair treatment" in posts.

dcvalpo

Quote from: tommydee46 on May 21, 2011, 05:33:42 PM
Thanks BENCHWARMER...just some thoughts, don't know how relative a few might be. It's like making a BMW on VW money....can't be done.

I hear what you're saying, loud and clear.  Name is dcvalpo, by the way!

What you will find around here---as I have found---is there is a whole lot of that "he said, she said" drama that goes on and you're best off to just roll with the punches and ignore the trollers and flamers.  Just stick to dropping VU basketball truth on the board and you will quickly gain respect.  I'm not the most popular poster around here, but certainly one of the most respected simply because I ask the questions no one else wants to ask.  Keep doing what you do and the rest will all fall together.  Happy posting and welcome to the asylum ;)

dcvalpo

Quote from: valpo04 on May 21, 2011, 06:27:05 PM

...and funny that dcvalpo gave this the thumbsup...since he isposting his conce about hurting people's feelings and giving them "unfair treatment" in posts.

Hold on, now...I think there is a big difference between speaking the truth openly and just flat out trolling and flaming.  If a poster just attacks another or tears down an idea without provocation, then I'm not cool with that.  If, on the other hand, a guy just states an honest opinion---not about one of our fellow posters---what's the harm?

DMvalpo18

i try not to add to the drama, if possible. but there are times when i feel it necessary to express my opinion. one of my unpopular opinions currently is about buggs possibly taking on a bit of a lesser role. but that is getting off subject. does anybody know if the 6'11 big man is coming to valpo next year?

dcvalpo

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 21, 2011, 06:35:55 PM
i try not to add to the drama, if possible. but there are times when i feel it necessary to express my opinion. one of my unpopular opinions currently is about buggs possibly taking on a bit of a lesser role. but that is getting off subject. does anybody know if the 6'11 big man is coming to valpo next year?

My source tells me "yes," but I will get back with everyone when I have more information.  Looks like he will redshirt and then be ready to play in a year.  My guy says he can jump out of the gym and will be a real handful for guards attacking the basket.

And, good point...drama stinks, but it is a necessary evil it seems.

bbtds

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 21, 2011, 11:14:38 AM

if he has supposedly committed, then why is all that we know about it just a rumor? don't you think we would have read about it somewhere?

I believe some are going off his Facebook comment that said something like "it's Valparaiso." Until he actually sends in the paperwork and Valpo has crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's with the NCAA Valpo can not comment on this Fernandez yet.

FWalum

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 21, 2011, 11:14:38 AM

Of course I was reading it somewhere... duh, why do you think I linked that WU blog, I didn't just have my ear to the ground.  The only reason I said it was a rumor was because everything I was reading was from WU sources.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

DMvalpo18

thanks for your condescending remarks. what i was trying to find out is if it is official or not yet. of course we read about it and that's how we even know he exists in the first place.

dcvalpo

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 22, 2011, 02:43:49 PM
thanks for your condescending remarks. what i was trying to find out is if it is official or not yet. of course we read about it and that's how we even know he exists in the first place.

See my comments about drama above...you two are dangerously close to being sent to the woodshed, never to return.  The mods here are fair, but do what needs to be done.

Now, you're both right...there was a source giving us some news, but we still have yet to hear anything official.  My guy tells me that things are being ironed out and we should have some news sooner or later.  It does appear, however, that Vashil is Valpo's.  That's all I have heard at this point.