• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruits

Started by covufan, March 09, 2011, 11:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Thought I'd start a "recruits" thread on the new site.

We have Edwards http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/150/10256/ and Boggs sometime after fall finals http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/150/10387/

Bielfeldt appears to have narrowed his choices, leaving VU on the outside:

http://blogs.pjstar.com/prepsplus/2011/03/02/michigan-offers-scholarship-to-bielfeldt/

Is there anything else?

VU75

Article from Trib says that Illinois may pull
Bielfeldt offer

Bradley's Maniscalco could be good fit for Illini
March 12, 2011 12:53 PM | 4 Comments
By Chris Hine

When Demetri McCamey graduates from Illinois, the expectation is that Brandon Paul can step up into the poiint-guard role and that incoming freshman Tracy Abrams from Mount Carmel can provide some minutes there.

But the Illini may have another option in former St. Patrick guard Sam Maniscalco.

According to the Peoria Journal Star, Maniscalco has asked for his release from Bradley and -- according to two unnamed sources -- wants to play for Illinois next season. The newspaper reported that Maniscalco has been granted permission to speak with 10 schools in the wake of Bradley firing coach Jim Les after nine seasons.

A source told the Tribune that Illinois has interest in Maniscalco and plans to speak with him about joining the Illini next season.
Unlike other players who switch schools, Maniscalco would not have to sit out a year. The reason, the source said, is because he is set to graduate from Bradley this spring and can apply for an NCAA waiver that would grant him eligibility to pursue a master's degree that is not available at his school.

Maniscalco is a sports communication major at Bradley, which does not offer a master's program in that field, while Illinois does. Maniscalco also preserved a year of eligibility because he sat out the most of the 2010-11 season with an ankle injury.

So, in essence, Maniscalco would be a free agent eligible to sign a one-year deal with another university.

But there's yet another complicating factor: Illinois has offered a scholarship to Max Bielfeldt, a center out of Peoria-Notre Dame. That is the same Bielfeldt family whose name is on Illinois' athletic offices building.

According to a source, Bielfeldt and Maniscalco would not both be eligible to join the Illini on scholarship because it would exceed the school's maximum allotment of scholarships. The only way both can join is if a current member of the Illini transfers or if Bielfeldt or Maniscalco accepts a walk-on position. Illinois originally had offered Bielfeldt a preferred walk-on position before increasing its offer to a full scholarship in recent weeks.

So, the Illini could be in the awkward position of having to pull a scholarship offer from a recruit whose family has strong connections to the university.

Bielfeldt also has a scholarship offer from Michigan and multiple mid-major schools. Maniscalco has averaged 10.9 points per game and is a career 42 percent shooter, but could provide Illinois with some needed insurance at an unstable position next season.

C

mj

Hopefully that knocks some sense into Bielfeldt and he chooses to go to a mid-major. That's one thing I really like about Jay Harris. He stuck with the mid-majors since they stuck with him the whole time. Virginia Tech started to flirt with him but he didn't drop the smaller schools. Class act in my opinion.
I believe that we will win.

vu72

The bigger question is does he want to play or watch.  At Illinois he most certainly would watch, getting minimal play.  At Valpo, with Cory graduating and Kevin's back issues, he could get a bunch of time if he is as good as advertised.
We need size as Edwards  is more of a Broekhoff type (a little bigger), not a banger.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Mjj

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsreport/2011/03/maniscalco_heading_to_illinois.html

Maniscalco heading to Illinois... made it official. So maybe Bielfeldt will look closer at Valpo?

wh

Maybe we will get a new ARC... ;)

sliman

In tonight's post-game interview, Bryce said there are a "couple" of scholarships available.  With three seniors leaving and two of those scholarships having been awarded and accepted, does this mean someone is leaving that hasn't been announced?  Or did Bryce misspeak?

chef

We started this season with 12 scholarship players. Ben Botts became number 13. Three players are graduating from the program, which takes us down to 10. Richie Edwards becomes number 11, and that leaves two available spots for next year. Thus Bryce's comment of a "couple" would be correct.

Pgmado

Ben Boggs, not Ben Botts. No IPFW needed here!

chef

sliman

Chef wrote: "We started this season with 12 scholarship players. Ben Botts became number 13. Three players are graduating from the program, which takes us down to 10. Richie Edwards becomes number 11, and that leaves two available spots for next year. Thus Bryce's comment of a "couple" would be correct."

Your summary makes sense, Chef, but I had been led to believe that we typically award only 12 scholarships and that the funds available for the 13th grant are divided for summer school costs.  Good to know we have two grants open.

chef

There have been years when we've had 13 scholarship players. I'm sure if we can find two players that our coaches feel will help the program we'll have 13 next season.

mj

I believe that we will win.

vuweathernerd

6'4" seems a little small for a small forward.

valpo84

Sounds like another Howard Little, which is a good thing. Plus, he comes in with a year older body. Could be a good get. Still need a good big/power forward to go with this group and it would be high + recruiting class.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72

Sounds like he would/could fill Howard Little spot/role.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

milanmiracle

Did I miss something here? Does Valpo really need a Howard Little spot/role? He had a nice season and all, but his role was out of necessity, not out of design.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vu72

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 19, 2011, 09:14:07 PM
Did I miss something here? Does Valpo really need a Howard Little spot/role? He had a nice season and all, but his role was out of necessity, not out of design.

In Valpo's 3 guard offense (yes, out of necessity, not design) Howard was tough enough, and rebounded enough to play bigger than his body.  He also was the designated lockdown defender.  We will always need a lockdown defender and more likely than not, that role will be filled by a guard.  Howard played an unselfish role as well, doing what was needed on any given night.

If we can get someone to play "Howard Little's role" then that is a good thing.  From what I hear Boggs could be that guy and a better scorer on balance than Howard was.

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu72 on March 19, 2011, 09:34:17 PM

In Valpo's 3 guard offense (yes, out of necessity, not design) Howard was tough enough, and rebounded enough to play bigger than his body.  He also was the designated lockdown defender.  We will always need a lockdown defender and more likely than not, that role will be filled by a guard.  Howard played an unselfish role as well, doing what was needed on any given night.

If we can get someone to play "Howard Little's role" then that is a good thing.  From what I hear Boggs could be that guy and a better scorer on balance than Howard was.

I guess the question I am asking is this....Is Homer playing a three guard offense because that's what he wants, or because that's the hand he was given. Besides that, don't we already have that guy? Matt Kenney?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

lowposter

I would take four more years of Howard Little.

lowposter

IndyValpo

Milan, did you watch Butler last year? They had a Howard Little role as a starter.  Perhaps what we are talking about is that Little played the role of Willie Veasley.
For the record the top 5 teams in the HL this year all started 3 guards so it would appear that in this league that role has value

sectionee

From how things are looking right now we will be sending out a 4 guard line up next season.  Hopefully we can find another big guy to score inside with Van Wijk otherwise. 

lowposter

The Times of Northwest Indiana today reports that Brandon Clark of Merrillville has committed to UC Santa Clara.  He had received offers from LaSalle, Bucknell, and Harvard.  VU expressed interest "at the end."

rlh

As good as he is, and he certainly is a good point guard, he's not what we need at the moment.  I think we have anought guards...

milanmiracle

Quote from: sectionee on March 22, 2011, 10:49:20 PM
From how things are looking right now we will be sending out a 4 guard line up next season.  Hopefully we can find another big guy to score inside with Van Wijk otherwise. 

And a 4 guard lineup will be great...unless rebounding is important. Na, that doesn't matter.