• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Basketball Press Conference on Tuesday (Reports: Bryce to be Head Coach)

Started by valpopal, May 16, 2011, 02:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

govalpogo

Was just watching PTI: In the "Big Finish" the question was: "Bryce Drew taking over for his father Homer as head coach at Valpo. Toni, is this a good move?"  Toni: "No, it's a perfect move, that's the family business: it's a 'Drewnisty' if you will." 

Crusader65

Quote from: govalpogo on May 17, 2011, 05:36:59 PM
Was just watching PTI: In the "Big Finish" the question was: "Bryce Drew taking over for his father Homer as head coach at Valpo. Toni, is this a good move?"  Toni: "No, it's a perfect move, that's the family business: it's a 'Drewnisty' if you will." 

Just saw this myself on eastcoast ESPN2.  We need to get this video/sound clip for the media release.

dcvalpo

Ok, so, I will ask the question that nobody else seems to want to ask.  Was anyone else interviewed for this job, or just the guy with zero head coaching experience anywhere?  I don't want to get specific here, but there is another guy on campus with D1 head coaching experience (and success) that didn't even get a sniff for this job.  If I'm him, I'm silently fuming right now. 

I won't say more, I don't want to get myself into trouble.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 17, 2011, 08:42:54 PM
Ok, so, I will ask the question that nobody else seems to want to ask.  Was anyone else interviewed for this job, or just the guy with zero head coaching experience anywhere?  I don't want to get specific here, but there is another guy on campus with D1 head coaching experience (and success) that didn't even get a sniff for this job.  If I'm him, I'm silently fuming right now. 

I won't say more, I don't want to get myself into trouble.

interesting thoughts. makes you wonder if bryce really is the one. i think he is, and hope he is. but you have to ask questions also.

dcvalpo

I want to be clear and say that I think Bryce will do a fine job.  Just curious how it all came about (and what never came about as well)

vuweathernerd

i don't believe that it's the wrong move, but the timing is certainly surprising. when i got the text yesterday afternoon that this was on espn.com, i was shocked. the turnaround from 08-09 through 09-10 and into this year has been the result of hard work on everybody's part. yeah, we're losing a lot, but it still makes me wonder.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 17, 2011, 09:12:51 PM
i don't believe that it's the wrong move, but the timing is certainly surprising. when i got the text yesterday afternoon that this was on espn.com, i was shocked. the turnaround from 08-09 through 09-10 and into this year has been the result of hard work on everybody's part. yeah, we're losing a lot, but it still makes me wonder.

i have to agree with you and say that the timing took me surprise. i did not anticipate homer retiring just yet.

valpo84

Please do not try to read too much into this. In the corporate world, the transition to a new coach/ceo should be a process and one that goes on quietly but is fully understood by the parties involved. In this case, there was a clear transition or succession plan that took place. You hear it in Mark L's comments during the presser as well as how smoothly and effectively this transpired. Unlike the business world, where the investors may or may not be interested in this, the future recruits of a program (and the competition) are very interested in who the coach/ceo will be, and can be recruiting against you because of the "uncertainty." In this case, you can assume that this has been planned out and executed. It is important in this process that the AD, current HC and President of the University are all on the same page. Fortunately, this change was made with all parties on board and ready to go (based on what we saw today). There does not need to be a search when you already have made the plan and decision. For an example of a school that also has a succession plan, see Butler or Purdue. Every AD should have a list of 1-3 choices if something should happen. This clearly wasn't the Gary Williams retirement, which did not seemed planned, especially with their coaching hire.

And, I'm not sure which D1 coach at the university should have had a sniff, but I can't think of one except maybe Carin Avery, but BBall isn't her specialty.

As to assistants, that is a good question. My preference would be a big man coach. Luke is good, but someone like Ivan Vujic to be brought in to teach some toughness and interior play. Also relates to the kids we have from Croatia and Eastern Europe.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

dcvalpo

Quote from: valpo84 on May 17, 2011, 09:41:34 PM

And, I'm not sure which D1 coach at the university should have had a sniff, but I can't think of one except maybe Carin Avery, but BBall isn't her specialty.

You can't be serious. 

valpo84

Which part
Quote from: dcvalpo on May 17, 2011, 09:42:48 PM

You can't be serious. 

Which part?

dcvalpo

I think there is another highly successful division 1 coach on campus who maybe could have gotten at least a courtesy interview...

vu72

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 17, 2011, 08:54:55 PM
I want to be clear and say that I think Bryce will do a fine job.  Just curious how it all came about (and what never came about as well)

This was discussed at the press conference and no, there wasn't a national search.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo84

DCvalpo--I did see Scott at the presser but not sure he's ready to come back ;)

DMvalpo18

Quote from: valpo84 on May 17, 2011, 10:03:02 PM
DCvalpo--I did see Scott at the presser but not sure he's ready to come back ;)

ha. pretty sure baylor is happy with him...

wh

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 17, 2011, 09:50:12 PM
I think there is another highly successful division 1 coach on campus who maybe could have gotten at least a courtesy interview...
What are you being so secretive about?  Unless this person is running around campus incognito, just come out with a name.  You said "highly successful," so you can't possibly mean Freeman.  Who is it?

dcvalpo

Quote from: wh on May 17, 2011, 10:15:31 PM
Quote from: dcvalpo on May 17, 2011, 09:50:12 PM
What are you being so secretive about?  Unless this person is running around campus incognito, just come out with a name.  You said "highly successful," so you can't possibly mean Freeman.  Who is it?

Well, you've forced me to this...and I'm afraid the trolls and flamers will be out in full force.  But, yes, Freeman deserved an interview.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 17, 2011, 09:42:48 PM

You can't be serious. 

and don't call me shirley.

valpo04

Please do not try to read too much into this. In the corporate world, the transition to a new coach/ceo should be a process and one that goes on quietly but is fully understood by the parties involved. In this case, there was a clear transition or succession plan that took place. You hear it in Mark L's comments during the presser as well as how smoothly and effectively this transpired. Unlike the business world, where the investors may or may not be interested in this, the future recruits of a program (and the competition) are very interested in who the coach/ceo will be, and can be recruiting against you because of the "uncertainty." In this case, you can assume that this has been planned out and executed. It is important in this process that the AD, current HC and President of the University are all on the same page. Fortunately, this change was made with all parties on board and ready to go (based on what we saw today). There does not need to be a search when you already have made the plan and decision. For an example of a school that also has a succession plan, see Butler or Purdue. Every AD should have a list of 1-3 choices if something should happen. This clearly wasn't the Gary Williams retirement, which did not seemed planned, especially with their coaching hire.

You don't have to assume... at the presser they made it very clear that they had discussed this for the past couple of years and had decided then that Bryce was who they wanted and this succession plan has been in place "knowing this day would come."

They said he is a winner, has played at the highest level, he is a teacher and he absolutely loves Valpo.  That is everything they would look for in a candidate.

agibson

I've only had a chance to watch a bit of the archive - likely I'll finish it tonight or tomorrow.

I was a little surprised to hear about "pursuing broadcasting opportunities with ESPN and CBS".  Were there any details?

It would be a lot of fun to listen to Homer give color commentary!

agibson

Ah, another interesting tidbit!  (I'm quoting from one of the Times articels)

"helping the university raise money for the athletics department in general, as well as a new basketball area, [sic]"

The typo seems to be theirs.  But, interesting to hear of a new arena.  Were there any details?

sectionee

When the hospital moves, next year I believe, I think Valpo will probably buy up that property.  Seems like that would be the most logical spot to build a new arena if they were going to do that.

hoopfan22

My preference would be a big man coach. Luke is good, but someone like Ivan Vujic to be brought in to teach some toughness and interior play. Also relates to the kids we have from Croatia and Eastern Europe.

You dont' need to be a big guy to be a big man coach. Also, there's only 1 Croatian/Eastern Europe player on the team. You want a coach hired to relate specifically to him?

agibson

You want a coach hired to relate specifically to him?

Which, of course, brings to mind the lack of racial balance on the coaching staff that we've discussed here before.