• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What kinds of changes will Bryce bring?

Started by rlh, May 16, 2011, 04:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlh

So what kinds of changes do you think Bryce will bring?  More uptempo would be the biggest I would think...more pressure defense.....It will be interesting to see....

covufan

I believe that the assistants do most of the hands on recruiting. 

lowposter

I will jump in on this, even tho it is slightly off topic...

This, in my opinion, is the end of an era.  Not just that Coach Homer Drew is leaving, but in the continuity this program has had over the past two decades.  That, will be tough to maintain.

The era of a coach staying at one school is rapidly changing, as the game changes.  Look at all of the great college coaches at Indiana colleges who made CAREERS at that school.  People such as Steve Platt at Huntington College, Mac Perry at Wabash, John Collier at Hanover College, not to mention Bob Knight and Gene Keady.  Greg Tonnagel at Indiana Wesleyan is showing indications he might be a very long term coach at one school (or perhaps at VU one day).

We have been very fortunate to have not only an outstanding basketball mind, but an even better man with great principles and ethics at the helm. 

So, I think the biggest change we will see with Bryce's arrival at the top spot will be that the long term stability will be difficult to maintain.  If he is successful, and I certainly believe he will be, then he will no doubt follow the lead of his older brother and move on.  Brad Stevens seems to be the exception of staying at one school when his stock is the highest.

Lowposter

valpofan56

I disagree lowposter.  While you may be correct that Bryce might have aspirations of moving up if he is successful, he has much stronger ties to Valpo than did Scott, who was a Butler grad.  I feel like Bryce, if successful, may be very content to build Valpo into a mid major power, which would be awesome!

sectionee

In order for him to move on to bigger and better things that would mean Valpo would see some postseason success.  On the Brad Stevens front, I think about the only job he would leave Butler for would be if an instate Big 10 school wound up with an open position.

valpopal

I think many of us believe that VU did not take full advantage of the national awareness and publicity following Bryce's "shot" and the Sweet Sixteen appearance to upgrade the men's basketball program or its facilities to match those at the highest mid-major programs. Part of the problem seemed to be that the administration was taken by surprise at the widespread recognition received, and at the time appeared unprepared to exploit the opportunity to its maximum possibilities. It is difficult to blame them.

Perhaps with President Heckler's background in promotion as a theater director as well as the recent high emphasis on branding and marketing by the administration, the naming of Bryce as Head Coach offers the university a fresh start for which VU will be prepared, a second chance at gaining greater attention, raising funds, drawing in recruits, renovating the physical structure, and promoting the program at a significantly elevated level.

It is not often that a second chance comes along, particularly in the attractive personality Bryce presents as a new face for the program. Let's hope VU makes the most of it.  

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpopal on May 17, 2011, 10:48:05 AM
I think many of us believe that VU did not take full advantage of the national awareness and publicity following Bryce's "shot" and the Sweet Sixteen appearance to upgrade the men's basketball program or its facilities to match those at the highest mid-major programs. Part of the problem seemed to be that the administration was taken by surprise at the widespread recognition received, and at the time appeared unprepared to exploit the opportunity to its maximum possibilities. It is difficult to blame them.

Perhaps with President Heckler's background in promotion as a theater director as well as the recent high emphasis on branding and marketing by the administration, the naming of Bryce as Head Coach offers the university a fresh start for which VU will be prepared, a second chance at gaining greater attention, raising funds, drawing in recruits, renovating the physical structure, and promoting the program at a significantly elevated level.

It is not often that a second chance comes along, particularly in the attractive personality Bryce presents as a new face for the program. Let's hope VU makes the most of it. 

Very well said. Let's hope that Bryce can take the program to the next level, or at least a return the the NCAA's once in a while. I hope the Butler run has allowed VU to learn from it's mistakes in the past and make changes in the future.

As for Bryce, he's a lifer. I don't see him going anywhere unless there's something fantastic out there like Duke, Kentucky, or UCLA. That's not going to happen, so I think Bryce is here to stay.

That said, I would have liked the interview process to include Greg Tonagel, but I think given the situation, the best choice for Valpo right now is probably Bryce.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpo04

Quote from: milanmiracle on May 17, 2011, 12:16:08 PM
Quote from: valpopal on May 17, 2011, 10:48:05 AM

Very well said. Let's hope that Bryce can take the program to the next level, or at least a return the the NCAA's once in a while. I hope the Butler run has allowed VU to learn from it's mistakes in the past and make changes in the future.

As for Bryce, he's a lifer. I don't see him going anywhere unless there's something fantastic out there like Duke, Kentucky, or UCLA. That's not going to happen, so I think Bryce is here to stay.

That said, I would have liked the interview process to include Greg Tonagel, but I think given the situation, the best choice for Valpo right now is probably Bryce.

It was mentioned today that he is more animated on the sidelines, so that is one "change." 

He also said he wasn't too upset that last year's team didn't win the HL (jokingly) and that it was nice of Homer to leave him something to accomplish.

covufan

Quote from: lowposter on May 17, 2011, 08:03:21 AM
I will jump in on this, even tho it is slightly off topic...

This, in my opinion, is the end of an era.  Not just that Coach Homer Drew is leaving, but in the continuity this program has had over the past two decades.  That, will be tough to maintain.

The era of a coach staying at one school is rapidly changing, as the game changes.  Look at all of the great college coaches at Indiana colleges who made CAREERS at that school.  People such as Steve Platt at Huntington College, Mac Perry at Wabash, John Collier at Hanover College, not to mention Bob Knight and Gene Keady.  Greg Tonnagel at Indiana Wesleyan is showing indications he might be a very long term coach at one school (or perhaps at VU one day).

We have been very fortunate to have not only an outstanding basketball mind, but an even better man with great principles and ethics at the helm. 

So, I think the biggest change we will see with Bryce's arrival at the top spot will be that the long term stability will be difficult to maintain.  If he is successful, and I certainly believe he will be, then he will no doubt follow the lead of his older brother and move on.  Brad Stevens seems to be the exception of staying at one school when his stock is the highest.

Lowposter

I'm not sure Bryce will be using this as a springboard to move onward and upward.  Scott was in a very unique situation - anything less and he doesn't leave.  If Bryce does wonderful things with the program similar to the Butler run the last two years, then everything changes.  Yes, he could leave, but I'm guessing he will stay for several years, and only leave if the situation is right - including his successor. 

Valpo89

Judging by Bryce's comments during the press conference, he truly loves Valparaiso - not only the campus, but living here. He made "NBA money" for a long time, and I'm pretty sure he was smart with it. So it would take an offer-you-can't-refuse situation for him to leave. Now, if he'd have some kids and get them entrenched in the Valpo school system, I'd feel a little better about him staying long, long term.

bbtds

Bryce also said that Valpo would not play Baylor unless it was in the NCAA tournament. He did say that if both teams made the tournament that the selection committee would probably match up Valpo and Baylor in the same region. He also told the media to ask Scott that question (and giggling the whole time knowing that Scott would now have to fend off some reporters)

valpo04

Quote from: Valpo89 on May 17, 2011, 12:40:18 PM
Now, if he'd have some kids and get them entrenched in the Valpo school system, I'd feel a little better about him staying long, long term.

...or if he was under contract!!  Thought that was funny when they asked about the terms of the contract, it hasn't been figured out yet.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo04 on May 17, 2011, 12:43:05 PM
Now, if he'd have some kids and get them entrenched in the Valpo school system, I'd feel a little better about him staying long, long term.

...or if he was under contract!!  Thought that was funny when they asked about the terms of the contract, it hasn't been figured out yet.

I bet if you asked Bryce today he would do it for very little. I bet Homer negotiates Bryce's contract. I understand Homer had a lot to do with the contract that Scott signed. 

crusaderjoe

I found this very curious.  Nothing more, nothing less, just very curious.

When the elder Drew was hired, he was told by former President Alan Harre that he would never be fired for losing.  Twenty some years later today Bryce is hired, and the terms of the contract are going to be figured out later because they haven't gotten to that yet.  I have to admit, I found Harre's statement curious then, and I find LaBarbara's statement almost as equally as curious now.

Best of luck to Bryce.

covufan

Quote from: crusaderjoe on May 17, 2011, 02:15:03 PM

When the elder Drew was hired, he was told by former President Alan Harre that he would never be fired for losing.  Twenty some years later today Bryce is hired, and the terms of the contract are going to be figured out later because they haven't gotten to that yet.  I have to admit, I found Harre's statement curious then, and I find LaBarbara's statement almost as equally as curious now.

Best of luck to Bryce.

I don't think it is that curious, or even that unusual.  I think other coaches did not have contracts with the schools they were hired by - only a Memorandum of agreement or understanding.  The MOA/U would have
some reference to compensation and loosely defined terms of firing.  When Gillispie was let go at Kentucky, I don't think he had a signed contract, and then had to negotiate his payment for leaving.

vuweathernerd

is there an archive of the press conference somewhere? i was at work during, and no internet access.

also, avoid the current taping of sportscenter - the anchor has back-tracked to the infamous val-pa-RYE-so pronunciation...   :crazy:

valpopal

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 17, 2011, 08:49:28 PM
is there an archive of the press conference somewhere? i was at work during, and no internet access.

also, avoid the current taping of sportscenter - the anchor has back-tracked to the infamous val-pa-RYE-so pronunciation...   :crazy:

Link to the press conference archive:

http://www.horizonleague.org/video.html?id=3883

valpo04

Quote from: valpopal on May 17, 2011, 09:36:17 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 17, 2011, 08:49:28 PM

Link to the press conference archive:

http://www.horizonleague.org/video.html?id=3883

I have updated the blog post here:  http://www.valpofanzone.com/2011/05/17/mens-basketball-press-conference/

crusaderjoe

Quote from: covufan on May 17, 2011, 02:24:03 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on May 17, 2011, 02:15:03 PM

Best of luck to Bryce.

I don't think it is that curious, or even that unusual.  I think other coaches did not have contracts with the schools they were hired by - only a Memorandum of agreement or understanding.  The MOA/U would have
some reference to compensation and loosely defined terms of firing.  When Gillispie was let go at Kentucky, I don't think he had a signed contract, and then had to negotiate his payment for leaving.

Good point, and you may be right.  I still found it a bit odd though given the situation (again, nothing more or less).  Everyone and their mother knew that Bryce was going to take over (if he wanted the job) once Homer decided to hang them up.  Bryce had already been around the program and was being groomed for the takeover for years in advance.  The contingency plan as far as transition from father to son had been refined for years by the athletic department. Yet, despite all of this planning, the formal offer was extended without a contract in place, or at least an agreement in principle of major terms?  They are just going to get to this later?  I don't know, like I said, I just found this curious. 

blackpantheruwm

I don't even think Stevens would leave for Purdue.  His list is very, very short.

As for Bryce, he could stay or go if he is successful.  That depends on the university, not the man himself.

Brad Stevens doesn't have to worry about an arena, he doesn't have to worry about a practice facility, and both he and his assistants are being taken care of.

At Valpo, Bryce Drew has an arena problem, a practice facility problem, a recruiting budget problem, and a payment problem.  They're not problems now, of course, but should he gain success at VU and be courted by schools - say Purdue or Indiana, Illinois or Notre Dame - will Valpo be able to fend them off?  Brad Stevens likely would only leave for one of those three.  VU has to do its part if they want to ensure Bryce has 22 years at the helm.

dcvalpo

Those of you who are close family friends with the Drews (vu72, rlh, etc?), how would you compare Bryce's personality with Homer's?  We all know that Homer is known for being Mr. Nice Guy.  Is Bryce the same?  Will he garner the same type of reputation?  Or, will we be getting a bit more of a hard-nosed guy?

lowposter

I really cannot comment on the personality of Bryce vs Homer, as I dont know either of them very well, but have been watching VU hoops since the Tom Smith era.

That being said that the entire Drew family are made up of wonderful sincere Christian people. 

One of the things that Homer grew into here was being a Division 1 coach.  By that, having an edge to him at times, when needed.  Upon his arrival, he was a very nice man who was a good coach.  As he grew into this job he remained a very nice man who was a good coach but would not allow himself to be pushed around.  The greatest change in this that I saw was when Bryce played for him.  There were times that Homer just exploded as he saw Bryce get pushed, bumped, etc.  He retained that edge (slight as it was) as the year progress.

Make no doubt about it...Homer was IN CHARGE of the VU basketball programs.  While he has a great reputation of being the nicest coach in the game, he knew when to draw a line in the sand.

Ditto with his players.  How many times do we recall there ever being an issue of who was in charge.  The questionable charactors, if they did arrive at the ARC, didnt last too long. 

One of my favorite memories of Homer was during a graduation ceremony years ago.  Bryce graduated that year.  I was there because my SIL had just received a Masters degree.  I saw Homer and went up to chat and congradulated him. He thought the reference was to the great NCCA run.  No, it was about having 5 or 6 young men walk thru graduation.  Living close to the university, my sons and I often went to the ARC and shot around.  My sons became close to several players.  All were outstaning young men and always greated my sons affectionately and warmly.  HHomer's legacy should be as a great coach and a better mentor of young men. 

I recall Bob Punter making the comment years ago that Bryce was a great player, but a better person.  I think the team will be in very good hands.

lowposter

dcvalpo

That being said that the entire Drew family are made up of wonderful sincere Christian people. 
[/quote]

Does anyone know if they are practicing Lutherans?  Is this still important to the administration?  Do we retain any of our Lutheran heritage in our athletic program or are we beyond that?

vu72

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 18, 2011, 02:13:41 PM

Does anyone know if they are practicing Lutherans?  Is this still important to the administration?  Do we retain any of our Lutheran heritage in our athletic program or are we beyond that?
[/quote]

I don't think they are Lutherans.  Coach Carlson is a Lutheran but don't know about others.  It isn't a requirement and rightly so.  Character and values go well beyond denominations.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 18, 2011, 02:13:41 PM
Does anyone know if they are practicing Lutherans?  Is this still important to the administration? 

I think it's a factor for the administration.  They seem mindful of keeping a Lutheran presence on campus, of keeping some sort of a core representing that important piece of the VU identity.  I'm not even sure if it's as important as a tie-breaker (e.g. if there are two approximately equally qualified people, do they give the job to the Lutheran? I'm not sure it's that simple), but it seems like it's a factor.

Quote from: vu72 on May 18, 2011, 02:24:22 PM
It isn't a requirement and rightly so.  Character and values go well beyond denominations.

Exactly.  And, indeed, the administration also seems clear (and I agree with them) that we benefit greatly from having a diversity of approaches to the spiritual life on campus: among students, faculty, and administration.