• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What kinds of changes will Bryce bring?

Started by rlh, May 16, 2011, 04:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

I have heard it said that it is more of a stretch (maybe not the best word here) for Homer and Bryce to be at Valpo then for Scott to be at Baylor as far as religious affliations. One thing you take away from all three Drews is that their christian beliefs are the strong central core of who they truly are as people.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on May 18, 2011, 02:56:03 PM
I have heard it said that it is more of a stretch (maybe not the best word here) for Homer and Bryce to be at Valpo then for Scott to be at Baylor as far as religious affiliations.

This is of course pure speculation, but I have no trouble believing that is the case.

I started to sound like Bryce my first year in College when I joined InterVarsity and my Mom instantly spotted that I was not being myself (grew up Lutheran).  The difference in mannerisms is striking.

That of course does not mean he isn't currently a Lutheran, but I would guess he didn't grow up that way and wouldn't find a Lutheran church to be a natural fit.  We tend to be way too reserved with sports-related God talk, for one thing ;)  My skin crawled a few times this year listening to the post-game show, which is sign of a culture clash, nothing more.

rlh

The Drews attend Liberty Bible Church, between Valpo and Chesterton.  I'm not sure what the affiliation is, but it is not Lutheran

valpofan56

Quote from: rlh on May 18, 2011, 06:47:38 PM
The Drews attend Liberty Bible Church, between Valpo and Chesterton.  I'm not sure what the affiliation is, but it is not Lutheran

Liberty Bible Church is Evangelical Free.  Everyone I've met from that church has been really very nice.  Several years ago when I was on campus over the summer doing some research some of my fellow classmates and I would play volleyball at the Dunes every week with their church's young adult group.  It was a blast!

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 18, 2011, 03:45:29 PM
That of course does not mean he isn't currently a Lutheran, but I would guess he didn't grow up that way and wouldn't find a Lutheran church to be a natural fit.  We tend to be way too reserved with sports-related God talk, for one thing ;)  My skin crawled a few times this year listening to the post-game show, which is sign of a culture clash, nothing more.

The Lutheran church is a pretty big tent.  But, Stl, I absolutely know where you're coming from ;)

dcvalpo

My skin crawled a few times this year listening to the post-game show, which is sign of a culture clash, nothing more.

This sounds interesting, care to elaborate? ;)

StlVUFan

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 19, 2011, 02:05:52 PM
My skin crawled a few times this year listening to the post-game show, which is sign of a culture clash, nothing more.

Thanking Jesus for the win, for example.  Reminds me of Oral Roberts.

I don't ever hear anyone who talks this way thanking Jesus for the loss.  Implicitly, they *are* thanking Jesus for the other team's loss.  I wouldn't know for sure, but I kinda think Jesus doesn't take very kindly to being used as a sports proxy like that.  I'm not sure he cares who wins a game.

I'm not saying that's exactly what Bryce or anyone else means when they say that, but I think it is a fair interpretation of that statement.

Interestingly, I never heard his Dad talk that way (though others may have).  Not sure about Scott.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 19, 2011, 04:40:08 PM

I don't ever hear anyone who talks this way thanking Jesus for the loss.  Implicitly, they *are* thanking Jesus for the other team's loss.  I wouldn't know for sure, but I kinda think Jesus doesn't take very kindly to being used as a sports proxy like that.  I'm not sure he cares who wins a game.

I'm not saying that's exactly what Bryce or anyone else means when they say that, but I think it is a fair interpretation of that statement.

Interestingly, I never heard his Dad talk that way (though others may have).  Not sure about Scott.

interesting. yeah, i don't know if Jesus is concerned with who wins a game. but maybe bryce could thank Jesus for helping his team to grow over the course of a season? that would be fine, i think.

dcvalpo

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 19, 2011, 04:40:08 PM

Yeah, I really don't think Jesus really plays favorites when it comes to sporting events.