• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Matt Thomas new VHS boys' basketball coach

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, May 16, 2013, 10:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/20131285-556/basketball-matt-thomas-named-new-valpo-boys-coach-candy-wilson-leaves-boone-for-valpo-jv.html

For those who haven't seen it yet.  Matt was a couple years ahead of Bryce, and I remember him filling in for Bryce when ... perhaps when Bryce was still having heart problems?  We were 8-14 his freshman year--one of the rare times he's ever been a part of a losing team.

Regardless, I digress.  I do remember, even though this is 20+ years ago, that a sports writeup was less than complimentary and a parent of another teammate, or neighbor? (a mother I'm pretty sure) wrote in impassioned defense of his work ethic and how hard he worked, etc.

He will be successful as well. 106-14 as the JV coach. 

Also interesting that Candy Wilson, a successful girls' coach for Boone Grove, left to become JV at VHS, unless Joe Otis is just keeping her seat warm.

I do worry about what will happen to my friend -- our friend! :) -- Jeannette Gray though.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 16, 2013, 10:10:44 PM
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/20131285-556/basketball-matt-thomas-named-new-valpo-boys-coach-candy-wilson-leaves-boone-for-valpo-jv.html

For those who haven't seen it yet.  Matt was a couple years ahead of Bryce, and I remember him filling in for Bryce when ... perhaps when Bryce was still having heart problems?  We were 8-14 his freshman year--one of the rare times he's ever been a part of a losing team.

Regardless, I digress.  I do remember, even though this is 20+ years ago, that a sports writeup was less than complimentary and a parent of another teammate, or neighbor? (a mother I'm pretty sure) wrote in impassioned defense of his work ethic and how hard he worked, etc.

He will be successful as well. 106-14 as the JV coach. 

Also interesting that Candy Wilson, a successful girls' coach for Boone Grove, left to become JV at VHS, unless Joe Otis is just keeping her seat warm.

I do worry about what will happen to my friend -- our friend! :) -- Jeannette Gray though.
[/b]

I'm pretty sure I read an article some time ago wherein she said thay she was ready to spend more time with her family and teaching rather than being a coach.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

yeah, but isn't that what leaving coaches always say?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa