• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The handling of the media rollout for the Drew(s) announcement

Started by Crusader65, May 20, 2011, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you rate VU's performance in getting the message out?

Great! Full D1 all the way
3 (27.3%)
Very Good - Working hard to move to next level
6 (54.5%)
Good - But needs more polish
2 (18.2%)
Par - VU is still learning but improving
0 (0%)
Bad - Wasted Opportunity Again!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: May 23, 2011, 08:26:54 AM

Crusader65

We need to offer objective feedback so that we help the program shape it's future.

Be Fair - We all can learn something from everyone's perceptions.

Valpo89

Unless they wanted to "let the cat out of the bag" nearly 24 hours in advance of the press conference, they got what they wanted - two news cycles.
If they wanted the actual press conference to have an element of surprise, they should have done one of two things: 1. Send out a press release at noon or 1 p.m. announcing a 4 p.m. press conference; or 2. Send out a press release at 9-10 p.m. for an 11 a.m. press conference the next day.

The way it was done, there was no way reporters were going to wait until the next day to see what the big story was, particularly with two competitive newspapers in the area not to mention Indianapolis, South Bend and Chicago getting involved.

My feeling is they didn't care as much about the "press" aspect of it all as making it a celebration/coronation with 100 "friends of the program" in the room.

bbtds

Yes, the announcement was out. The whole press conference (when did "presser" become the word for this?) was about sending off Homer to his new job with respect and great thanks for his 22 years at the head coach position and to welcome and introduce Bryce as the new coach and to show they had complete confidence in Bryce and highlight what possibly could be differences between Homer and Bryce and all the similarities.

EDIT: no mention of the fact that Bryce is Lucille Ball and Dezi Arnez' grandson-in-law  ;D

dcvalpo

I'm not sure we can really complain...it was on the front page of ESPN (in the news ticker) for a day, and that is about the biggest stage we can expect to be on.  Whether or not it could have been done better, the fact is we still got national headlines.

blackpantheruwm

I figure most of you were too busy with the Homer thing to notice, but it was a very busy news day - about 15 newsworthy items came out via ESPN.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on May 20, 2011, 08:52:47 AMThe whole press conference (when did "presser" become the word for this?)

You're singing my song.  :lol:  :thumbsup:

Crusader65

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on May 20, 2011, 10:53:46 AM
I figure most of you were too busy with the Homer thing to notice, but it was a very busy news day - about 15 newsworthy items came out via ESPN.

This is a very good point about the attention span of most people today.  I believe the younger the person the shorter the focused attention span.  Some are like ferrets on coke but most can last a good 30 to 40 seconds.  That being said, I always test the reach of the National message by wearing some Valpo gear or just my Shield of Character pin on my lapel the next day and it's interesting the comments I get about Valpo and it helps confirm the memory of the moment in their minds while letting me know that the branding is beginning to work.  I got three separate comments yesterday - two in the business environment and one in a grocery store line last evening.  That happening to me this far away from Valpo is very exceptional for the clutter of the news day.

dcvalpo

Quote from: Crusader65 on May 20, 2011, 03:12:47 PM

This is a very good point about the attention span of most people today. I believe the younger the person the shorter the focused attention span.  Some are like ferrets on coke but most can last a good 30 to 40 seconds.  That being said, I always test the reach of the National message by wearing some Valpo gear or just my Shield of Character pin on my lapel the next day and it's interesting the comments I get about Valpo and it helps confirm the memory of the moment in their minds while letting me know that the branding is beginning to work.  I got three separate comments yesterday - two in the business environment and one in a grocery store line last evening.  That happening to me this far away from Valpo is very exceptional for the clutter of the news day.

This is liking saying a 1965 graduate of Valpo driving around is the equivalent of a blind and unresponsive squirrel taking the wheel of a car...not relevant and highly offensive.  Agism is not allowed here

DMvalpo18

Quote from: Crusader65 on May 20, 2011, 03:12:47 PM

This is a very good point about the attention span of most people today.  I believe the younger the person the shorter the focused attention span.  Some are like ferrets on coke but most can last a good 30 to 40 seconds.  That being said, I always test the reach of the National message by wearing some Valpo gear or just my Shield of Character pin on my lapel the next day and it's interesting the comments I get about Valpo and it helps confirm the memory of the moment in their minds while letting me know that the branding is beginning to work.  I got three separate comments yesterday - two in the business environment and one in a grocery store line last evening.  That happening to me this far away from Valpo is very exceptional for the clutter of the news day.

good to hear that you take pride in the valpo name and will sport it. interesting how people notice and make remarks.

dcvalpo

I do want to add that I also will wear some of VU stuff out and about when big Valpo news breaks...it might not give a great picture of national reaction, though, as I live in Valpo.  Just my two cents.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 20, 2011, 10:08:38 PM
I do want to add that I also will wear some of VU stuff out and about when big Valpo news breaks...it might not give a great picture of national reaction, though, as I live in Valpo.  Just my two cents.

just think if you actually had two cents for everytime you decided to share "your two cents."

dcvalpo

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 20, 2011, 10:16:36 PM
Quote from: dcvalpo on May 20, 2011, 10:08:38 PM

just think if you actually had two cents for everytime you decided to share "your two cents."

Well, well, looks like DMValpo has finally decided to show his true colors.  I don't know what your problem is with me or why you follow my posts, looking to flame, but I suggest you go back to the bridge you crawled out from under.  In other words, trolls aren't needed here!

If, on the other hand, you were simply making a joke, then excuse my frustration...I feel like I have had a bullseye on my back lately with a whole lot of people wanting to take potshots.

So, how bout them Crusders?  :lol:

DMvalpo18

you have your fair share of jokes yourself. seriously though. you have a point there. people have a tendency to want to flame when you start asking the "hard questions" around here. someone has got to ask them.

dcvalpo

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 20, 2011, 10:22:18 PM
you have your fair share of jokes yourself. seriously though. you have a point there. people have a tendency to want to flame when you start asking the "hard questions" around here. someone has got to ask them.

Thank you, that is exactly how I feel.  Yes, I ask the hard questions. Some aren't going to like it because I fog up their brown and gold glasses.  But, if not me, then who? 

Crusader65

QuoteThis is a very good point about the attention span of most people today. I believe the younger the person the shorter the focused attention span.  Some are like ferrets on coke but most can last a good 30 to 40 seconds.  That being said, I always test the reach of the National message by wearing some Valpo gear or just my Shield of Character pin on my lapel the next day and it's interesting the comments I get about Valpo and it helps confirm the memory of the moment in their minds while letting me know that the branding is beginning to work.  I got three separate comments yesterday - two in the business environment and one in a grocery store line last evening.  That happening to me this far away from Valpo is very exceptional for the clutter of the news day.

This is liking saying a 1965 graduate of Valpo driving around is the equivalent of a blind and unresponsive squirrel taking the wheel of a car...not relevant and highly offensive. Agism is not allowed here

I'm sorry that you felt that this attempt at some humor was aimed as ageism.  You obviously felt it hit too close to home and then lashed out in a juvenile way.  If you were talking about a 1965 graduate that would be my older brother for I graduated in January '73. The bigger point, missed by you, was that we all have our ways to show our support and grow the message.  Since I'm responding I suppose I've now sunk to your level of banter and have raised your ire again - good luck in your attempt to fight windmills with your HOT air.  Check your spelling too.

dcvalpo

Quote from: Crusader65 on May 21, 2011, 12:34:03 AM
QuoteThis is a very good point about the attention span of most people today. I believe the younger the person the shorter the focused attention span.  Some are like ferrets on coke but most can last a good 30 to 40 seconds.  That being said, I always test the reach of the National message by wearing some Valpo gear or just my Shield of Character pin on my lapel the next day and it's interesting the comments I get about Valpo and it helps confirm the memory of the moment in their minds while letting me know that the branding is beginning to work.  I got three separate comments yesterday - two in the business environment and one in a grocery store line last evening.  That happening to me this far away from Valpo is very exceptional for the clutter of the news day.

This is liking saying a 1965 graduate of Valpo driving around is the equivalent of a blind and unresponsive squirrel taking the wheel of a car...not relevant and highly offensive. Agism is not allowed here

I'm sorry that you felt that this attempt at some humor was aimed as ageism.  You obviously felt it hit too close to home and then lashed out in a juvenile way.  If you were talking about a 1965 graduate that would be my older brother for I graduated in January '73. The bigger point, missed by you, was that we all have our ways to show our support and grow the message.  Since I'm responding I suppose I've now sunk to your level of banter and have raised your ire again - good luck in your attempt to fight windmills with your HOT air.  Check your spelling too.

My comments obviously hit too close to YOU...relax man, I was joking!

vuweathernerd

now if only our press conference could have taught a few of those espn guys how to pronounce valparaiso correctly. 2 days after the announcement they were still mispronouncing it.  :crazy:

bbtds

You know I've heard forever that the name of the town and university is mispronounced by the National media. Exactly who mispronounced the name first? Some 1800's Americans who were celebrating a military victory off Chile' by their hometown hero or the guys in the National media who took Spanish class in high school? Americans have been too "it's all about us" for way too many years.

rlh

Quote from: bbtds on May 23, 2011, 05:15:28 AM
You know I've heard forever that the name of the town and university is mispronounced by the National media. Exactly who mispronounced the name first? Some 1800's Americans who were celebrating a military victory off Chile' by their hometown hero or the guys in the National media who took Spanish class in high school? Americans have been too "it's all about us" for way too many years.
Say What?

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on May 23, 2011, 05:15:28 AM

You're missing the point: they're not even pronouncing it right if we're the city in Chile.  There is no dialect of Spanish in which Valparaiso is pronounced val-pa-RYE-so.

Crusader65

You're missing the point: they're not even pronouncing it right if we're the city in Chile.  There is no dialect of Spanish in which Valparaiso is pronounced val-pa-RYE-so.
[/quote]

I believe the media kits all have phonic pronunciations for each word or name that could be in need of correct help but as most things you can lead the horse to water but . . . Each presenter follows the next, so when one gets it wrong they are lemmings to the cliff.

I don't know how many members or poster there are on this forum but only 11 voted in the poll.  Either they thought it was lame or didn't feel qualified to comment.  Most seem to support that it was good to great but not much was offered to give how it could have been better.  Thanks you to those that participated maybe we can get more suggestions in the future on other events as the next year begins to get in swing.