• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Hutton: Homer Drew was too good to be true

Started by valpo04, May 23, 2011, 06:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcvalpo

Quote from: valpopal on May 24, 2011, 11:14:24 PM
We won't likely be seeing the "guy in the orange shirt" next year. He graduated last week.
:( :( :( :( :( :(

dcvalpo

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 24, 2011, 10:52:39 PM
Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 24, 2011, 10:50:47 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 24, 2011, 10:32:50 PM
Quote from: dcvalpo on May 24, 2011, 09:29:01 PM
Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 24, 2011, 09:13:35 PM
oh, i know he is going to be there.

I hope so...love his passion and fire.  I encourage you to act the way he does...in the late 90's, it seemed like there were a hundred "orange shirt guys" in the student section all the time

Unfortunately, I'm a little too old for the student section...I'll be joining the Old Guard in the chairbacks!

i love his passion, but don't take it quite as far as he has done on a few occassions last season. he's a nice guy, but just gets caught up in it sometimes. an occasional holler at the ref is one thing, but relentlessly slinging profanities (which i've heard about a few times) is uncalled for.

yeah...i recall he was constantly was raising his voice at players and officials alike. i heard a story from a student that he followed an official after a game to berate him further. if that is true, that is most definitely too far. at that point it starts making our fan base look bad, and the students.

i remember the incident you've mentioned. after that one, he was warned by the athletic dept that any further action like that would lead to his being banned from future games. so please, don't go that far. i'd hate to see one less student in the bleachers.

On the other hand, DMValpo, sometimes you need to make your point...if that means getting banned for a game, maybe it needs to be done.  How else will refs ever know that their poor calls aren't appreciated if someone doesn't point it out?  I say go for the profanity laced tirade if, and ONLY IF, it is warranted!!!

valpo04

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 25, 2011, 08:11:27 AM

I hope so...love his passion and fire.  I encourage you to act the way he does...in the late 90's, it seemed like there were a hundred "orange shirt guys" in the student section all the time

Unfortunately, I'm a little too old for the student section...I'll be joining the Old Guard in the chairbacks!

i love his passion, but don't take it quite as far as he has done on a few occassions last season. he's a nice guy, but just gets caught up in it sometimes. an occasional holler at the ref is one thing, but relentlessly slinging profanities (which i've heard about a few times) is uncalled for.

yeah...i recall he was constantly was raising his voice at players and officials alike. i heard a story from a student that he followed an official after a game to berate him further. if that is true, that is most definitely too far. at that point it starts making our fan base look bad, and the students.

i remember the incident you've mentioned. after that one, he was warned by the athletic dept that any further action like that would lead to his being banned from future games. so please, don't go that far. i'd hate to see one less student in the bleachers.

On the other hand, DMValpo, sometimes you need to make your point...if that means getting banned for a game, maybe it needs to be done.  How else will refs ever know that their poor calls aren't appreciated if someone doesn't point it out?  I say go for the profanity laced tirade if, and ONLY IF, it is warranted!!!

From the old board...

gopanthers33 wrote:
QuoteI think only 2 or 3 of the dozen or so @sshole chants were justified in my opinion.

dcvalpo's response:
QuoteThis is silly. Chants like that are never "justified" and make student sections look ridiculous.

dcvalpo

Did you read my post in the off-topic forum? 

sectionee

PatVU07

The occasional chant of "bullsh!t" or the more clever "nuts and bolts we got screwed" or "elevator elevator we got the shaft" have their place in basketball games from high school to college, I think it's part of the fun and a way to express displeasure.  

While I was in school at VU I personally hated when the chant to Rock and Roll Part II went from "Hey you suck" to "Hey VU" and from "we're gonna beat the hell out of you" to "v-a-l-p-a-r-a-i-s-o" that was something fun exciting, and lets be honest not any worse than what is heard at every other college game in the country.  

In other words, let the kids be kids. Tell them they can't have fun at games and its not wonder that kids that went to high schools where basketball games were fun and exciting don't come to games and sit in the library.

valpofan56

Quote from: valpo04 on May 25, 2011, 08:22:36 AM
Quote from: dcvalpo on May 25, 2011, 08:11:27 AM

From the old board...

gopanthers33 wrote:
QuoteI think only 2 or 3 of the dozen or so @sshole chants were justified in my opinion.

dcvalpo's response:
QuoteThis is silly. Chants like that are never "justified" and make student sections look ridiculous.

Excellent work '04.

dcvalpo

valpofan56---surely you understand that I have been stirring the pot deliberately.  This "investigative work" does not "catch" me doing anything...I have openly admitted to simply being provocative. 

I'm sorry valpo04 spent his time researching this to prove a point that doesn't need to be proven.

valpo04

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 25, 2011, 01:35:47 PM
valpofan56---surely you understand that I have been stirring the pot deliberately.  This "investigative work" does not "catch" me doing anything...I have openly admitted to simply being provocative. 

I'm sorry valpo04 spent his time researching this to prove a point that doesn't need to be proven.

I posted that before I saw that you came clean.  Let's get this thread back on one of the tracks it was on before this latest derailment.

sliman

While I also would like to see greater attendance and more enthusiastic support from our student body, as some posters have pointed out previously, we also need to be realistic.  We have approximately 3,000 undergraduate students, the majority of them traditional age, resident students.  If 10 percent of them attend a game, the 300 present looks like poor attendance.  If 10 percent of the undergrads at IU, Purdue, even at Northwestern and Ball State, show up everyone thinks it's a great crowd.  From looking at the faces in the seats, I'm not sure even Butler gets a lot of students other than those sitting in the Dawg Pound.

sectionee

10% would be a great improvement over what we see out there most games.  300 students would look and sound pretty good behind that basket.

rlh

Listen....all I know is that we used to have the student section full for almost every game, even the Division II and exhibitions....but now we don't.  Offer all the excuses you want, but the fact is that obviously interest isn't as high as it was when we were the top program in our old conference.  All the other, studies, work, other duties is bull.....I still believe that the disorgranization of the VU Crew has a lot to do with this lack of interest....when Dan or Joy and even Matt Hensley were actively involved students showed up.....

dcvalpo

Quote from: rlh on May 25, 2011, 05:33:31 PM
Listen....all I know is that we used to have the student section full for almost every game, even the Division II and exhibitions....but now we don't.  Offer all the excuses you want, but the fact is that obviously interest isn't as high as it was when we were the top program in our old conference.  All the other, studies, work, other duties is bull.....I still believe that the disorgranization of the VU Crew has a lot to do with this lack of interest....when Dan or Joy and even Matt Hensley were actively involved students showed up.....

You're right on...when I was at VU, I remember hundreds of students traveling to Fort Wayne for the Midcon tourney.  I think the biggest factor is success...we had a chance at the NCAA tourney then and it created a different atmosphere around the program.  Mediocrity has been a part of our program for a few years and that has changed the attitude of the students. 

DMvalpo18

rlh, i notice you are into details. all i can say is that i hope we can start competing for a realistic shot at an ncaa berth soon. i will still thoroughly enjoy being at the games.

valpofan56

Let's try and distance ourselves from this creep.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: valpofan56 on May 25, 2011, 10:18:55 PM

...is that the kid in the orange shirt?

valpopal

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 25, 2011, 10:36:49 PM
Quote from: valpofan56 on May 25, 2011, 10:18:55 PM

...is that the kid in the orange shirt?

Actually, the kid in the orange shirt is a mild-mannered Theology graduate and seminary student.

dcvalpo

Quote from: valpofan56 on May 25, 2011, 10:43:08 PM
No, not even close.

Hensley convicted on all counts

Are you kidding me??  This is the kind of guy you cite as a good leader, rlh?  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't know about the indiscretions, but I agree...this guy is a complete creep and it is embarrassing for the university to be associated with him.

valpopal

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 26, 2011, 07:58:23 AM
Quote from: valpofan56 on May 25, 2011, 10:43:08 PM
No, not even close.

Hensley convicted on all counts

Are you kidding me??  This is the kind of guy you cite as a good leader, rlh?  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't know about the indiscretions, but I agree...this guy is a complete creep and it is embarrassing for the university to be associated with him.

I am going to defend rlh here, since he wrote "even Matt," which indicates an acknowledgment of the taint associated with the individual while stating the fact that even he did do a good job organizing the student section. The stupid and despicable acts that led to Matt's problems--for which he and his family, whom some of us know well, are paying a price--happened after he graduated. Having said that, I agree with Valpofan 56 that we should now distance ourselves.

rlh

I totally agree on the acts that got Matt Hensley locked up....and certainly wasn't trying to say anything positive about him....my point is, and was, that when the VU Crew (which is no longer under the new marketing people) was led by students who really cared about the games and student participation, we had students at the games....we need to get the VU Crew back and we need that type of student participation....they are why the ARC was so tough to play in for opponents.

dcvalpo

Quote from: rlh on May 26, 2011, 09:31:49 AM
I totally agree on the acts that got Matt Hensley locked up....and certainly wasn't trying to say anything positive about him....my point is, and was, that when the VU Crew (which is no longer under the new marketing people) was led by students who really cared about the games and student participation, we had students at the games....we need to get the VU Crew back and we need that type of student participation....they are why the ARC was so tough to play in for opponents.

Not totally clear here...was the Valparaizone under the new marketing group in terms of organizing students?  And, if so, when did it change to no longer be under their control?  This sounds like a change for the better...but we really need a motivated student or two to take charge or it won't matter.

rlh

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 26, 2011, 10:02:58 AM
Quote from: rlh on May 26, 2011, 09:31:49 AM

Not totally clear here...was the Valparaizone under the new marketing group in terms of organizing students?  And, if so, when did it change to no longer be under their control?  This sounds like a change for the better...but we really need a motivated student or two to take charge or it won't matter.
As I understand it, the Valparaizone is just a play on words and has no organized leadership as the Paint Crew does at Purdue, etc.  The VU Crew is no longer, not sure why it was done away with, but maybe lack of student leadership.  I guess I wasn't very clear in my explanation.  Also, someone closer to that situation may have a better explaination than I.

agibson

Quote from: valpo04 on May 25, 2011, 02:51:30 PM

I posted that before I saw that you came clean.  Let's get this thread back on one of the tracks it was on before this latest derailment.

So, is this the wrong place to apologize for going too far in putting the best construction on things, when he really was just being a troll? ;)

dcvalpo

Quote from: agibson on May 26, 2011, 10:26:37 AM
Quote from: valpo04 on May 25, 2011, 02:51:30 PM

So, is this the wrong place to apologize for going too far in putting the best construction on things, when he really was just being a troll? ;)

Apology accepted, I think?  :)