• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Opponents' Schedule & Results 2013-14

Started by bbtds, October 28, 2013, 07:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

I'm planning on doing only the Division I opponents this year. All times are Eastern Standard Time.

11/8/2013 Friday

Detroit at South Alabama  2:00 p.m.
James Madison at Virginia  7:00 p.m.
Youngstown State at Kennesaw State  7:30 p.m.
Grand Canyon vs Loyola Marymount  7:30 p.m.
East Tennessee State at Charlotte  7:30 p.m.
Mercer at Texas  8:00 p.m.
Milwaukee at Loyola (IL)  8:00 p.m.
Alabama at Illinois  8:00 p.m.
S.E. Missouri State at Saint Louis  8:30 p.m.
Murray State at Valpo  8:30 p.m.
Oakland at North Carolina  9:00 p.m.

11/9/2013 Saturday

Ball State at Indiana State  1:05 p.m.
Northern Iowa at Ohio  2:00 p.m.
Iona at Cleveland State  2:00 p.m.
Youngstown State  vs Florida International  3:00 p.m.
South Dakota State vs Loyola Marymount  6:30 p.m.
Drake at Illinois-Chicago  8:00 p.m.

11/10/2013 Sunday

Eastern Kentucky vs Youngstown State  1:00 p.m.
Jacksonville State at Illinois  6:00 p.m.

11/11/2013 Monday

Milwaukee at Davidson  7:00 p.m.

11/12/2013 Tuesday

Morehead State at East Tennessee State  7:00 p.m.
Evansville at IUPUI  7:00 p.m.
Ohio at Ohio State  8:00 p.m.
Oakland at UCLA  9:00 p.m.

11/13/2013 Wednesday

Florida State at Central Florida  7:00 p.m.
Wright State at Georgetown  7:00 p.m.
Valpo at Illinois  7:30 p.m.
Saint Louis at Southern Illinois-Edw  8:00 p.m.
Cleveland State at San Francisco  11:00 p.m.

11/14/2013 Thursday

Detroit at Connecticut  7:00 p.m.
Loyola Marymount at Long Beach State  10:00 p.m.

talksalot

Thanks for all the work on this !!  Here's a tidbit from cbssports.com...

Two LMU players out indefinitely following injuries from car accident
By Matt Norlander | College Basketball Writer
October 28, 2013 10:34 am ET

Loyola Marymount seniors Ayodeji Egbeyemi and Godwin Okonji are going to miss the start of the team's season after being involved in a car accident. The timeline for the two to return is not known, but both are recovering and attending classes on campus.

The accident occurred more than a week ago, on Oct. 20, but LMU did not release the status of the two players until Friday evening. According to the school, the accident happened around 7:30 a.m., as both were riding to practice. They were released later that day.

"We are very thankful that both Godwin and Ayodeji are doing well and were able to come home following the accident," LMU coach Max Good said in a statement. "While they are doing well, both suffered various levels of injuries that will take time to heal. In talking with our doctors, we feel Ayodeji should be back soon, while we will have to wait and see on the condition of Godwin. He suffered injuries to his left leg that will require further examination from his doctors. At this time, we are just thankful that they are with us."

Egbeyemi was driving his car, which the school said was totaled.

Egbeyemi, who is the student representative West Coast Conference liaison and the national liaison with the NCAA, has averaged 6.5 points and 3.9 rebounds for his career; Okonji has put up 4.5 and 4.6 in those categories, respectively.

valpotx

That is sad to hear, but glad they are ok.  Hopefully they get to play most of the games in their SR year
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Saint Louis is playing an exhibition game tonight at 7:00 p.m. central / 8:00 p.m. eastern time. The game will be on the Atlantic 10 Digital Network for free. They are taking on a small Catholic university from St Louis called Fontbonne University.

http://www.atlantic10.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=31600

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on October 31, 2013, 12:53:37 PMThey are taking on a small Catholic university from St Louis called Fontbonne University.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

From the SLU website...
Billikens Breeze in Exhibition, 94-38

I don't suppose an analysis is really necessary.

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on November 01, 2013, 07:32:49 PM
From the SLU website...
Billikens Breeze in Exhibition, 94-38

I don't suppose an analysis is really necessary.

Fontbonne seemed nervous and had no height to compete with the Billikens height. SLU's defense was just as tough as ever. With 10 minutes to go in the 1st half SLU was up 26-3. Fontbonne didn't make a FG until 9:13 of the 1st half. Suddenly Fontbonne started hitting 3's and got the score down to 32-19 but everything went south from there. SLU held the Griffins to 14 points in the 2nd half while putting 47 points on the board in both halves.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on November 01, 2013, 10:24:34 PMFontbonne seemed nervous and had no height to compete with the Billikens height. SLU's defense was just as tough as ever. With 10 minutes to go in the 1st half SLU was up 26-3. Fontbonne didn't make a FG until 9:13 of the 1st half. Suddenly Fontbonne started hitting 3's and got the score down to 32-19 but everything went south from there. SLU held the Griffins to 14 points in the 2nd half while putting 47 points on the board in both halves.
all better.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

So far for the preseason HL basketball I decided to look at the attendance numbers, in terms of both attendance and % of arena filled.

1st Valpo - 57% filled with an average of 2850
2nd WSU - 32% filled with an average of 3337
3rd Oakland - 27% filled with an average of 1100
4th UWM - 18% filled with an average of 2018
5th GB - 17% filled with an average of 1638
6th UDM - 7% filled with an average of a wopping 600
UIC - Attendance wasn't announced
CSU - Has yet to play their loan exhibition
YSU - Decided they were too good for exhibitions

Now that is why Valpo fans are the best in the HL, averaging way more attendees than anyone else for exhibition games, filling up over 50% of the ARC. Bravo to us!!!!!

I would bet that is some of the best attended exhibition games in the country can't wait to be there on Friday night, would imagine it will be close to full!

Side note- I laughed when I saw UDMs number, 7% of the arena filled, talk about a home court advantage.....

Valpofan00

Try to get my friends to come to some games. Apparently they are too "cool" for D2 valpo which they aren't even close to being. I find these things funny

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on November 04, 2013, 05:12:04 PMHas yet to play their loan exhibition
they'll pay for that eventually--they don't want to mortgage their future. 
(hopefully they won't take too many points on the back end.)

Quote from: Valpofan00 on November 04, 2013, 05:44:02 PMApparently they are too "cool" for D2 valpo which they aren't even close to being.
Does this mean
--"too cool for D2 (vs.) valpo" games?
--"too cool for a theoretically-in-D2-Valpo, which they aren't even close to being, since they're D1 obv."
--"my loser friends aren't even too cool for a theoretically D2 valpo or even the real-life D1 valpo"

a3uge

Quote from: Valpofan00 on November 04, 2013, 05:44:02 PM
Try to get my friends to come to some games. Apparently they are too "cool" for D2 valpo which they aren't even close to being. I find these things funny

These are the same people who got upset over Florida Gulf Coast busting their brackets.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on November 04, 2013, 05:12:04 PM7% filled with an average of a wopping 600
i know we don't like detroit but that doesn't make them all racists.

well...maybe 7% of them are italian

valpotx

Quote from: Valpofan00 on November 04, 2013, 05:44:02 PM

Do they attend Valpo?
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

Good sign for our close game with Hillsdale College.   Toledo needed a buzzer beater to pull out a win...   I would say that Hillsdale looked better than I expected them to.

http://www.hillsdalechargers.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/20131103s04j3z

historyman

Quote from: Smj on November 05, 2013, 07:25:20 AMGood sign for our close game with Hillsdale College.   Toledo needed a buzzer beater to pull out a win...   I would say that Hillsdale looked better than I expected them to. http://www.hillsdalechargers.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/20131103s04j3z
This was mentioned by wh in the Hillsdale thread:
Quote from: wh on November 04, 2013, 08:41:08 AM Interesting tidbit from Commissioner on the Detroit board: Toledo 85, Hillsdale 84 (OT). The Titans play Toledo twice this year, so there is a little extra interest in what coach Tod Kowalczyk has down I-75. Plus, Hillsdale gave Valpo a battle in last weekend's exhibition game, so here's a chance for comparison. And if I were a Valpo fan, I'd be encouraged, because Hillsdale showed it is a darn good team. Toledo, picked to win the MAC West, struggled mightily against the Chargers, and finally won it on a runner in the lane with 3 seconds to play in OT.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

11/8/2013 - Friday

Youngstown State     73
Kennesaw State        57

Milwaukee                72
Loyola (IL)               76

Detroit                    58
South Alabama          74

Murray State            74
Valpo                     77

Oakland                   61
North Carolina           84

Alabama State          63
Illinois                     80

S.E. Missouri State   64
Saint Louis              87

East Tenn State      75
Charlotte                80

Mercer                    73
Texas                     76

James Madison          41
Virginia                    61

Grand Canyon           75
Loyola Marymount     78

LaPorteAveApostle

ah, milwaukee...just in time to remind us that the MVC actually could've picked a worse school.

bbtds

11/9/2013 - Saturday

Ball State               73
Indiana State          82

Iona                      69
Cleveland State       73

Florida International  72  OT
Youngstown State    74

Drake                     61
Illinois-Chicago         59

Northern Iowa          64
Ohio                       75

South Dakota State   89
Loyola Marymount      98

talksalot

I watched the end of the Drake - UIC game... what a horrible break for Hayden Humes.  Got the last second shot that touched every part of the rim, started to roll in... and bounced out.   Would have been another nice win for HL over Valley... but so it goes.  Nice crowd atmosphere for the flames... or Comcast had the right camera angles.

wh

Quote from: talksalot on November 10, 2013, 08:36:09 AM
I watched the end of the Drake - UIC game... what a horrible break for Hayden Humes.  Got the last second shot that touched every part of the rim, started to roll in... and bounced out.   Would have been another nice win for HL over Valley... but so it goes. Nice crowd atmosphere for the flames... or Comcast had the right camera angles.

A win at home against the team picked to finish last in the MVC should be a given. I suspect UIC is in for a long season.

a3uge

Quote from: talksalot on November 10, 2013, 08:36:09 AM
I watched the end of the Drake - UIC game... what a horrible break for Hayden Humes.  Got the last second shot that touched every part of the rim, started to roll in... and bounced out.   Would have been another nice win for HL over Valley... but so it goes.  Nice crowd atmosphere for the flames... or Comcast had the right camera angles.

Good to see Cleveland State soon against Iona... They were down pretty much the whole game. Iona lost MoMo Jones, but should still win that awful conference... although I did see Manhattan beat LaSalle. Oof

bbtds

11/10/2013 Sunday

Youngstown State    75
Eastern Kentucky     67

Jacksonville State     62
Illinois                     86

bbtds

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400503064

Illinois beats Jacksonville St. 86-62

QuoteSenior guard Joseph Bertrand scored 20 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to lead Illinois over Jacksonville State 86-62 Sunday at State Farm Center.

The Illini (2-0) never trailed, jumping out to a 12-1 lead in the first five minutes of the game and leading 40-27 at the half. Junior guards Rayvon Rice and Tracy Abrams each scored 13 points.

You can watch the Jacksonville St/Illinois game on ESPN 3 in a condensed version.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/1215887/size/condensed/

Of course, as always, you must have access to ESPN3.

EDIT: The Illinois crowd got a Jaxsnvl St guard to shoot 6 seconds early in the shot clock by counting it down ahead of the shot clock. I hope the coaches make the players aware. I'm sure they will be trying it again this Wednesday.

EddieCabot

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 09, 2013, 06:15:51 AM
ah, milwaukee...just in time to remind us that the MVC actually could've picked a worse school.

UWM picks up a road win at Davidson.  Davidson was an NCAA team last year and picked 2nd in the SOCON this year.  Nice win for UWM and the Horizon.