• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jay Harris---How Good Can He Be?

Started by dcvalpo, May 25, 2011, 11:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcvalpo

Of all the guys coming back, I think Jay Harris possibly has the highest ceiling.  However, over the last 10 games of the season, Jay's production and minutes really tailed off.  The exception, of course, was his 20 point performance in the finale against Iona.  Coming out of high school, ESPN had him rated as a 93, more or less a 4 star.  We saw flashes of a brilliant player, but we also saw that he couldn't always be trusted in big moments---I recall several times where he turned the ball over in silly fashion and Homer had to yank him.  I think we can probably chalk that up to being a freshman.  Based on how he finished, his declining minutes, what you saw from him during the year, and the incoming guards, what kind of production do you foresee from Jay this season?

I'm hoping for 10 ppg from him and for him to be the other shooter we need to take pressure off Broekhoff.  If we have those two on the wings, it makes the life of Buggs/Bogans much easier in terms of creating and it takes the pressure off our big men.

humbleopinion

I'm not sure that I can recall a time when he played anything other than at the point.  As a 2 guard he would have much more freedom to contribute in the scoring column.
Beamin' Beacons

dcvalpo

I see the 2 as his natural position, even if he is small. 

sectionee

I was a huge Jay Harris critic during most of the season.  He was a turnover waiting to happen, and we usually didn't have to wait long, until the last 4 or 5 games.  He improved quite a bit by the end of the season in the way of taking care of the basketball.  I hope he can figure out that the 3pt line is another foot and half closer then where he usually shoots from, but I'm looking forward to seeing him step into Brandon's shoes and pick up some of the scoring slack.

DMvalpo18

honestly my first thought with harris when i first saw him play was how did espn give him a 93? i didn't quite see it at first. but i think i am starting see how he can shoot and is handling the ball better.

milanmiracle

I think he can be a pretty good player in a Valpo uniform. He'll certainly be better than some of the guards on the roster now. Will he be a star? Probably not. Will he be a decent starting guard? Sure. I don't expect him to be Brandon Wood, but one thing he doesn't have is a glaring weakness (see Kurth and Buggs). Over time he'll make better decisions and as he gets more comfortable with the college game his shot will improve.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

dcvalpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on May 25, 2011, 09:52:23 PM
I think he can be a pretty good player in a Valpo uniform. He'll certainly be better than some of the guards on the roster now. Will he be a star? Probably not. Will he be a decent starting guard? Sure. I don't expect him to be Brandon Wood, but one thing he doesn't have is a glaring weakness (see Kurth and Buggs). Over time he'll make better decisions and as he gets more comfortable with the college game his shot will improve.

Out of curiosity, what do you see as Kurth's glaring weakness?

I think Kurth is a complete wild card this season...not sure what to expect, if anything

DMvalpo18

here's a possible glaring weakness: he's quite underweight if he wants to be a 2 guard. well, i guess that's not glaring. hopefully that means he is quicker than other guards.

milanmiracle

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 25, 2011, 09:56:35 PM

Out of curiosity, what do you see as Kurth's glaring weakness?

I think Kurth is a complete wild card this season...not sure what to expect, if anything

Kurth's refusal to shoot or be any version of a offensive threat. I can remember times when he was a freshman and he absolutely refused to shoot and he was wide open. I don't mean he could have taken the shot if he wanted to, I mean his man left him completely and he didn't even think about shooting. He appeared confused why nobody was open to pass to. Here's a clue, if 5 guys are guarding 4 offense threats, you might be open!

Nobody's asking Kurth to be BWood, but when the opposing team doesn't have to guard you because you won't shoot, you make it more difficult for everybody else. See Jake Diebler for an example on how to make it more difficult for your offense to run.

Now, could Kurth's outlook change since he's sat for a year? Sure. Do I expect it to change much? Not really.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

FWalum

In my opinion Jay Harris' biggest weakness was lack of strength.  As the season wore on he wore down.  As his confidence and knowledge improved he physically was unable to keep pace.  This happens many times with freshman.  I expect he will start this upcoming season much stronger. I think Jay can live up to his ranking if he continues to mature and get stronger.  He has a mighty sweet stroke.

I agree with milanmiracle concerning Kurth. We will have to see if being a redshirt sophomore makes any difference.  He has some ground to make up if he plans on playing especially with the new transfers coming into the program.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

sectionee

I agree that strength may be his biggest weakness, we'll have to see what he did during the offseason, but I disagree with your thought of him wearing down.  I thought he got better as the year went on. There was a stretch of games where Homer didn't play much; I assume due to his turnovers.  This helped keep him fresher.  The Iona game, he was about the only one who looked like he wanted to play.

DMvalpo18

i imagine during the iona game harris felt like there was nothing more to lose anymore while maybe the other players felt the blow of the way the season ended. i hope to see harris put on some more weight if he can and get stronger.

dcvalpo

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 28, 2011, 10:29:22 PM
i imagine during the iona game harris felt like there was nothing more to lose anymore while maybe the other players felt the blow of the way the season ended. i hope to see harris put on some more weight if he can and get stronger.

I have a feeling strength will be seen in Harris this year.  Good call on the player's possible attitudes in the Iona game...I'm sure it has been mentioned, but worth bringing up again.  Hope you VU gets a bunch more basketball-savvy freshman like you this year, DM!  KEEP IT UP!!

BulldogBully

to be honest idk why i'm posting on this because i haven't seen this person play...but it kinda sounds like he could be a good player in the future for valpo...