• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

11/17/2013 Sunday 1:00 p.m. CST --Valpo at Ohio University--game thread

Started by historyman, November 14, 2013, 06:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

I have a feeling Jordan Coleman is gonna have a breakout game. Gonna finish with 25 pts, 11 boards, 4 assists, and 2 steals, to only 1 turnover. In a Valpo win.

Eagle66

Ohio fan here.  Looking forward to, watching the game tomorrow. I remember the last time you guys game to Athens, a 3 point Ohio win in November 2010. Broekhoff had a huge game if I remember right.

We did lose 5 seniors (4 starters )from last years team. However, we are starting 3 seniors and a Junior this year, so we still have some experience.  Our starting 5 will probably be:

PG - Stevie Taylor (JR) is playing better than most expected. Had 21 at Ohio State.
SG - Nick Kellogg (SR, son of former Ohio State forward Clark Kellogg). he's a career 40% 3 point shooter.
SF - Ricardo Johnson. (SR) Spent a lot, of time improving his jumper.
PF - Maurice Ndour (jR, JUCO transfer) scored 20 against Northern Iowa. Very athletic.
C - Jon Smith (SR) Good defender and shot blocker.

I'd expect Ohio to go 9 deep, if they need another big, one of the freshman will make it 10. Most Ohio fans have been pleasantly surprised with how the team has been playing so far. Our message board is bobcatattack.com if anyone wants to come on over.

I saw someone posted a link to the MAC web site for the free stream, but you can also use the url below to go straight through Ohio.

client.stretchinternet.com/client/ohio.portal

Good Luck.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Pgmado

Totally made the mistake of writing Derek Kellogg (UMass coach) instead of Clark Kellogg. Oops.

Smj

I think this is going to be a tough road game.   Hopefully we can figure out how to close in the end.   While I think we performed well overall in the last game I am concerned about how we fell apart in the last 5 minutes. 

We just need to figure out who our go-to is.   And that may take a few more game.   

And news on Lavonte's ankle?

classof2014

For anybody who can't watch the game live. Ohio has a site that replays all of its games. I'm hoping it's posted by tonight, if not it'll be up by tomorrow.

Here's the link, it doesn't show the score of the game either, so it still feels like watching the game live.
http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/ohio.portal#

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on November 14, 2013, 05:29:29 PM
Quote from: bbtds on November 14, 2013, 03:58:47 PMI hope Bryce realizes we will get jobbed by the refs in Evansville and techs at the end of games after the fact don't help. Get mad immediately before the calls get worse. I think the refs know what kind of guy you are and a more volatile response early will get a ref that knows you to think "I wonder why he is reacting so unusual for me. I gotta get better," before the biggest calls of the game happen. 

I figured the T was for the players, not the refs.
BTN announcers came to same conclusion after watching replay.  Can't say I disagree; didn't look like there was much contact at all on the play, at least on TV.

bbtds

This game might not be the most important thing for Alec Peters today.

A tornado has just touched down near Washington, IL and info is being updated.

EDIT: There is confirmation that a storm did heavy damage to Pekin, IL.

valpotx

Thoughts are with that community, and hope that Peters' family is ok as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on November 17, 2013, 12:29:05 PM

Yes, prayers for Peters' family, friends, and neighbors. Images of destruction coming from Alec's hometown are devastating.

vu72

Wow, that was an ugly first half.  Our freshman are playing like, well, freshman and our upper classmen are also playing like freshman.  I would have expected a performance like this aginst Illinois, not Ohio.  Then again, Ohio only lost to OSU by 10 so maybe they are that good.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Did the stream from WVUR go down or is it me...  What stations are now in the VU Radio Network? 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Best description of the 1st half:

These guys (Valpo players) look like they've never met before today's game.

Ohio color commentator (late in the 1st half)

valporun

Yes, WVUR did go down. The weather around the Illinois map has been nuts, and the storm's path is along Valpo's radar. Thankfully, we have the Ohio video feed today. Just wish these guys would wake up a bit.

vuweathernerd

Anybody have an update on the game? I can't get the OU video feed to work. (And I'm also distracted by football on TV and the severe weather racing through the Midwest.)

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on November 17, 2013, 01:01:48 PM

Yes, prayers for Peters' family, friends, and neighbors. Images of destruction coming from Alec's hometown are devastating.

Update: First word is that Alec's family is okay and helping their neighbors.

wh

Other thoughts from the 1st half:

Bobby is not now nor ever will be a power forward.  He cannot dribble against ball pressure and can't finish without getting his shot blocked.  Lavonte is not now nor ever will be a point guard.  Until people are playing their proper positions, the team is going to continue to struggle against good (not great by any stretch) competition like Ohio.  End of the 1st semester can't get here soon enough.

Have we ever practiced against hedging?  Sure doesn't look like it.  They are completely taking us out of our offense.  It's their 5 doing it, and we have failed to make them pay one time for leaving our center completely unguarded.  Oh, to have KVW for one more half of basketball...

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpopal on November 17, 2013, 02:20:49 PM
Quote from: valpopal on November 17, 2013, 01:01:48 PM

Update: First word is that Alec's family is okay and helping their neighbors.

Excellent news!

Chairback

This is a hard game to watch.  Just ugly.  We do not run set plays at all.  It would be nice to get Peters some open looks from deep.

Announcers "Gueye is physically impressive and intimidating but very limited offensively. However looks impressive coming off the bus"

govalpogo

Oof...I do like that this group never seems to give up though!  Our last two games could have easily devolved into 20pt losses.

valpotx

Bryce needs to evaluate this game in-depth, not just on the player side.  His tight game management needs some work.  How do you not call for a better play on some of those possessions, instead of early shots?  Why did we wait 10 seconds to foul after that missed 3, when the game and shot clocks were synched??  How do you leave yourself 2 timeouts with 15 minutes left in the game?  Why are we calling timeouts at the same time a media timeout is going to happen?

Bobby needs to play less if he is going to pretend that he knows how to dribble into traffic.  Dority needs to be commanded to learn how to get a quality shot in the last 2 minutes of a close game.  He had one turnover and 2 poorly selected lay-up attempts in a one possession game.  I can live with the missed shots by Peters, though still think we could have taken a better shot than a 3 pointer where his shoulders weren't square to the hoop.  Impressive that with around 20 turnovers we ended this close, but my enthusiasm for this year has been tempered for a few games now...dang it, I feel like setshot with this negativity  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Some non surprises- We can not go with 2 bigs against a smaller quicker team. The zone only bought us some time to keep our late game, man to man crew out of foul trouble.  The man was obviously much more effective but our small lineup will not be complete until Carter can play and Adekoya or Chadwick can give some better minutes. How many of those first half turnovers were attributable to their overplay coming across half court when we did not have ball handlers in the game?

Our small lineup is better than I thought.

valpotx

Here's a thought:

Should we make Bobby like Jason Jenkins (for those of you who remember him)?

Just keep him on the perimeter for spot-up 3's, and not expect much rebounding or inside play.  This will prevent him from doing the dumb dribbling attempts.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

TX you hit it right on the head and 100% agree. Time was on our side with those last plays.