• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

It only took them a year to do the kindergarten math

Started by StlVUFan, May 26, 2011, 09:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

some interesting changes here. i'm interested to see how they're going to deal with flagrants in a 30 game ncaa season vs an 82 game nba season. but i'm glad they're putting the no-charge arc on the floor. that should've been there from the start.

sectionee

Thats really going to mess with the HL officials.  They seem to like to call an offensive foul anytime a defender goes down.

StlVUFan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 26, 2011, 09:57:15 PM
some interesting changes here. i'm interested to see how they're going to deal with flagrants in a 30 game ncaa season vs an 82 game nba season. but i'm glad they're putting the no-charge arc on the floor. that should've been there from the start.

Seriously, how do you put the rule in one year, and TAKE A WHOLE YEAR TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE IT ENFORCEABLE???????????????????  Any 7-year-old had this computed already last year as soon as the rule was put in.  Is the entire rules committee brain dead or something?

Unbelievable.  ??? ::) :banghead: :rotfl:

ValpoHoops

The issue wasn't so much how to make it enforceable, rather that there are 800+ NCAA schools and 250+ NAIA schools (NAIA uses the NCAA rule book for basketball) that suddenly needed to put the arc on their floor, and the NCAA doesn't like the schools to use tape. So, you now essentially have 1000 schools that have to get their floors worked on in the next five months, at a time when most athletic departments are struggling for cash - especially the non-D1 schools.

What the should have done was announced this last year, to be started this coming year so schools could plan ahead. We already have had our floor painted this sunmer, and I'm not sure we will be able to afford to go back and get the arc down.

StlVUFan

Quote from: ValpoHoops on May 27, 2011, 07:45:37 AM
The issue wasn't so much how to make it enforceable, rather that there are 800+ NCAA schools and 250+ NAIA schools (NAIA uses the NCAA rule book for basketball) that suddenly needed to put the arc on their floor, and the NCAA doesn't like the schools to use tape. So, you now essentially have 1000 schools that have to get their floors worked on in the next five months, at a time when most athletic departments are struggling for cash - especially the non-D1 schools.

What the should have done was announced this last year, to be started this coming year so schools could plan ahead. We already have had our floor painted this sunmer, and I'm not sure we will be able to afford to go back and get the arc down.

That does make some sense.

Still, and your last paragraph points this out, how do you put in a rule last year and not *know* that it's going to take an actual arc painted on the court in order to enforce it consistently?  How did the member institutions not know that this was inevitable?  Did they (NCAA) think, "hey, maybe we can get by with out it"????  If I was Mark LaBarbera last year when the rule change was instituted, I'd have done all I could last year to allocate money to the budget for when they decreed that you have to paint an arc on the floor this year.

Valpo89

How much can it really cost to paint a small arc in each lane?

valpomarketingguy

Quote from: Valpo89 on May 27, 2011, 11:11:37 AM

The cost is incurred because the paint has to be below the varnish of the floor.  Due to the foresight of Adam Klos here in the athletic department, the semicircles were painted on this past week during the yearly process of refinishing the court.  I'll have pictures for you eventually if you'd like.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpomarketingguy on May 27, 2011, 11:15:06 AM

The cost is incurred because the paint has to be below the varnish of the floor.  Due to the foresight of Adam Klos here in the athletic department, the semicircles were painted on this past week during the yearly process of refinishing the court.  I'll have pictures for you eventually if you'd like.

:thumbsup: renewing my faith in humanity ;)

valpomarketingguy

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 27, 2011, 01:42:25 PM

:thumbsup: renewing my faith in humanity ;)

Photos coming soon...

ValpoHoops

I should clarify, when I say "our" floor, I don't mean VU anymore :(

KL31NY

Due to the foresight of Adam Klos here in the athletic department, the semicircles were painted on this past week during the yearly process of refinishing the court.

"Klos the Boss" at it again! Gotta love it!  :thumbsup:
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

StlVUFan

Looks nice and unambiguous.  Thanks for the pics, and I'm glad to see VU was prepared for this.  :clap:

DMvalpo18

Quote from: ValpoHoops on May 27, 2011, 04:09:53 PM
I should clarify, when I say "our" floor, I don't mean VU anymore :(

what do you mean?

dcvalpo

Quote from: KL31NY on May 27, 2011, 04:38:53 PM
Due to the foresight of Adam Klos here in the athletic department, the semicircles were painted on this past week during the yearly process of refinishing the court.

"Klos the Boss" at it again! Gotta love it!  :thumbsup:

Klos has done a fantastic job...lovin' it over here too!

dcvalpo