• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Indiana Elite/Adidas/Indiana University

Started by lowposter, May 27, 2011, 08:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowposter

I am not technologically savy enough to provide a link, but there is a major story on ESPN website about the relationship and issues between the Indiana Elite AAU program, Adidas, Indiana University, and a foundation called A-Hope.

While this is not related to VU's basketball program, it will be interesting reading for those of you that follow recruiting of players.  It provides a glimpse into the relationships between the shoe companies, elite AAU programs, and the coaches/organizers involved.

lowposter

sectionee

I read this yesterday.  For a short time I was the basketball director at a large facility where we would host these tournaments.  I got to know a couple AAU coaches, not real well.  Nice guys to talk to, but you always got that feeling like they were up to something.

I'm pulling for IU to go back to being a successful program, so hopefully this won't be added to their string of misfortune (although most of it has been brought on by themselves).

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

lowposter

Thanks for the link...one of these days, I will learn how to do that.

The confluence of a major AAU program, a shoe company, an international foundation, and a Big 10 university along with "coaches" moving from AAU to college and shoe company salesmen's sons in the program makes one say..."sure are a lot of coincidences here".

Just sayin...

lowposter

rlh

I suspect you will find these kinds of relationships exist at several major programs around the country.  AAU has gotten out of hand in too many instances in the past several years and have been under investigation before.  I know high school coaches don't like some of the things that go on and are disappointed that kids listen to some of the AAU guys more than them.  I don't have an answer as to how to clean it up, but there's a lot of big time money involved in some of these teams so I suspect it will be very very difficult

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: hoopfan22 on May 27, 2011, 10:22:17 AM
It's pretty much a Non story if you ask me.

Well thank the good Lord no one is asking you.

BigDWSU

Quote from: hoopfan22 on May 27, 2011, 10:22:17 AM
It's pretty much a Non story if you ask me.

You are correct sir.  I challenge anyone here to find a top AAU program that isn't like Indiana elite.  All AAU teams get money from one shoe company or another and all AAU coaches have their favorite college programs or coaches where they tend to steer their players too.  I think if we all look at our rosters over the years you will find multiple players that came from the same high school and AAU programs.  Good college recruiters build relationships with high school and AAU coaches. 

DMvalpo18

Quote from: rlh on May 28, 2011, 10:26:47 AM
I suspect you will find these kinds of relationships exist at several major programs around the country.  AAU has gotten out of hand in too many instances in the past several years and have been under investigation before.  I know high school coaches don't like some of the things that go on and are disappointed that kids listen to some of the AAU guys more than them.  I don't have an answer as to how to clean it up, but there's a lot of big time money involved in some of these teams so I suspect it will be very very difficult

so much for ncaa sports being "amateur". i don't believe it for one second.

dcvalpo

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 28, 2011, 10:22:52 PM
Quote from: rlh on May 28, 2011, 10:26:47 AM
I suspect you will find these kinds of relationships exist at several major programs around the country.  AAU has gotten out of hand in too many instances in the past several years and have been under investigation before.  I know high school coaches don't like some of the things that go on and are disappointed that kids listen to some of the AAU guys more than them.  I don't have an answer as to how to clean it up, but there's a lot of big time money involved in some of these teams so I suspect it will be very very difficult

so much for ncaa sports being "amateur". i don't believe it for one second.

Agree with both of you completely...great points, rlh

dcvalpo