• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

If I were [blank] for a day, I would...

Started by ValpoHoops, June 07, 2011, 01:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoHoops

OK, since things get slow in the summer...

Two hypotheticals for the masses....

If I were in charge of the NCAA for a day, I would...
If I were in charge of Valpo Athletics for a day, I would...

ValpoHoops

If I were in charge of the NCAA, I would create a football playoff, level the scholarship playing field in all sports, eliminate some football scholarships for the FBS schools, increase compliance/enforcement staff and agressively pursue things (random spot checks, etc.)...and probably some other stuff that I can't think of.

If I were in charge of Valpo Athletics for a day, I would build a new arena (if we could get that done in a day, that would be some sort of miracle), continue to improve our other facilities, beg the administration for more money for coaches, scholarships and facilities, and again, probably some other stuff I can't think of.

78crusader

I would do two things. Build a new track around Brown Field; and replace the windows along the west side of the old gym. These windows have needed paint since -- literally-- my freshman year in 1974 and have now descended to eyesore status.  Paul

valporun

If I were in charge of the NCAA, I would sit down with David Stern, and talk about abolishing the 'one-and-done' rule, as it hurts the college game, and adds to the schools that are having increasing recruiting violations because of trying to get a particular high recruit to their school with the backdoor deals that are reported after the kid played his one season, and attended classes for the one semester he had to. I would also inflict a 'show-me' clause on schools that have major violations against them before they are able to play in NCAA tournaments in whatever sports they are penalized in. Get some real institutional control back into the administrations of some of these schools that become more like sports factories for the pros.

If I were in charge of Valpo athletics, I would get the track funding finalized, and contracted to a group that knows how to lay a track. Would do an overall evaluation of how recruiting is going in all of our sports, and if some of the recruiting isn't being done, find out why and how I could get a fire under some of the coaches to do some recruiting, especially for swimming, track, cross country, and tennis. If means increasing their recruiting budgets, I would do that appropriate to the program needs.

sectionee

If I were in charge of Valpo Athletics I would put that crazy nut who writes the sectionee blog in charge of the VU student section and give him a $5-10,000 to work with.

Valpo89

If I were in charge of the NCAA I would allow for a "salary" for big-time Division I football players, and probably basketball players as well. And yes, this would be on top of their scholarship. The notion of "amateurism" is ludicrous in the BCS football conferences (in the major sports). It's insane that players receive nothing while the coaches have $3 million salaries. Not fair to the "minor" sports? Tough. When you draw 110,000 fans to a game, then I'll listen to your whining. Until then, be thankful that the two major sports pay for your team to exist.

If I were in charge of VU athletics, I would also complete the track, increase all the recruiting budgets and look into renovating the ARC vs. building a new facility.

78crusader

The "renovating the ARC v. building a new arena" ship has already sailed.  Last summer the administration installed a new floor.  This summer all scoreboards are being replaced.  The university would not have committed to these improvements -- at a total cost of over one half million dollars -- if it didn't intend for the ARC to be VU's home for years to come.  If a major donor steps forward and funds most of the cost, then, sure, it'll get done.  That would merely take nearly double the largest gift the university has ever received, but I suppose theoretically it could happen.  In the meantime, the university needs to fund other possible/likely projects, things that -- rightfully -- it views as much, much important than a new arena.  For example: a new dorm or three, a fieldhouse, a new science building, a Welcome Center, possibly moving the Eastgate athletic fields to the main campus, the addition to the Chapel, and an addition to Meier Hall for the Department of Education.  The science building alone is probably a $50 to $60 million project at least.  Paul

vuweathernerd

Quote from: 78crusader on June 07, 2011, 04:47:47 PM
The "renovating the ARC v. building a new arena" ship has already sailed.  Last summer the administration installed a new floor.  This summer all scoreboards are being replaced.  The university would not have committed to these improvements -- at a total cost of over one half million dollars -- if it didn't intend for the ARC to be VU's home for years to come.  If a major donor steps forward and funds most of the cost, then, sure, it'll get done.  That would merely take nearly double the largest gift the university has ever received, but I suppose theoretically it could happen.  In the meantime, the university needs to fund other possible/likely projects, things that -- rightfully -- it views as much, much important than a new arena.  For example: a new dorm or three, a fieldhouse, a new science building, a Welcome Center, possibly moving the Eastgate athletic fields to the main campus, the addition to the Chapel, and an addition to Meier Hall for the Department of Education.  The science building alone is probably a $50 to $60 million project at least.  Paul

when did they annouce the scoreboard replacement? did i miss something??

rlh

They haven't....as per normal, somebody may have jumped the gun.....

78crusader

lowposter

If I were in charge of the NCAA, I would take a serious look at college football.  Let's see Ohio State has basically imploded and Southern Cal has vacated the national title.  It appears that football is pushing cycling for freak show sporting event. 

VU -  continue to graduate young men and women that are going to make a contribution to society.  Make sure the rules are abided by and good people pass thru the programs.