• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

International Players and Travel

Started by dcvalpo, June 19, 2011, 11:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcvalpo

Just read from another poster that it takes Cam Witt 26 hours to get back and forth from home to Valpo!!!  That is crazy.  Anyone know the travel times for Ryan?

On a more important note, does this travel affect their play?  I don't know how long jet lag lasts, but I bet it takes its toll on practices when they get back.  What happens when they fly home for a weekend and have a game that Thursday?  It's gotta have an effect.  How much do you think homesickness messes with their mental game?

Interesting topic, will be waiting to get your two cents guys!

valpofan56

Quote from: dcvalpo on June 19, 2011, 11:15:00 PM
Just read from another poster that it takes Cam Witt 26 hours to get back and forth from home to Valpo!!!  That is crazy.  Anyone know the travel times for Ryan?

On a more important note, does this travel affect their play?  I don't know how long jet lag lasts, but I bet it takes its toll on practices when they get back.  What happens when they fly home for a weekend and have a game that Thursday?  It's gotta have an effect.  How much do you think homesickness messes with their mental game?

If you seriously think that Witt and Broekhoff, or any of the other international players for that matter, "fly home for a weekend" at any point during the school year, much less the season, then you should just stop posting altogether because you will do nothing but continue to embarrass yourself.

koala

Ryan doesn't fly home for a weekend much to our disappointment, a bit too far I think  :lol:   He only comes home during the Summer break.   His travelling and flying time is nearly as long as Cam's.   Drive from Valpo to Chicago a good hour, flight from Chicago to LAX about four hours, then another flight from LAX to Melbourne about 18-19 hours and then a good hours drive home.

agibson

Clever of you guys to arrange an international tournament, this summer, so that you could get him home!

dcvalpo

Quote from: valpofan56 on June 19, 2011, 11:32:01 PM

If you seriously think that Witt and Broekhoff, or any of the other international players for that matter, "fly home for a weekend" at any point during the school year, much less the season, then you should just stop posting altogether because you will do nothing but continue to embarrass yourself.

If you don't have anything nice to s...eh, not going to bother with this vitriolic poster.

dcvalpo

Quote from: koala on June 20, 2011, 01:28:23 AM
Ryan doesn't fly home for a weekend much to our disappointment, a bit too far I think  :lol:   He only comes home during the Summer break.   His travelling and flying time is nearly as long as Cam's.   Drive from Valpo to Chicago a good hour, flight from Chicago to LAX about four hours, then another flight from LAX to Melbourne about 18-19 hours and then a good hours drive home.

Wow, that is some trip...how many times a year does he make it home?

valporun

Quote from: dcvalpo on June 20, 2011, 07:15:45 AM

Consider how Ryan's mum likes the travel to get to Valpo to watch Ryan for a week during the season. Considering she goes from summer temperatures in December-January-February in Australia to our cold and snows in the same time period here in the Midwest.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: dcvalpo on June 20, 2011, 07:15:06 AM
Quote from: valpofan56 on June 19, 2011, 11:32:01 PM

If you don't have anything nice to s...eh, not going to bother with this vitriolic poster.

We all thought it (or some variation thereof)...he just said it...

vu72

[/quote]
Quote from: dcvalpo on June 20, 2011, 07:15:45 AM
Ryan doesn't fly home for a weekend much to our disappointment, a bit too far I think  :lol:   He only comes home during the Summer break.   His travelling and flying time is nearly as long as Cam's.   Drive from Valpo to Chicago a good hour, flight from Chicago to LAX about four hours, then another flight from LAX to Melbourne about 18-19 hours and then a good hours drive home.

Come on guys, how about reading the posts a little more carefully.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

valpo04

koala

I don't travel all that way to Valpo to watch Ryan for a week, my first trip I was visiting for several weeks and the second we were visiting for a month.   When you travel all that way you have to make the trip worthwhile because it is so far.   The difference in temperature when we leave the high 90's of Melbourne to the snow of Valpo is mind blowing as we don't have snow where we live by the bay so it does take a bit of getting used to.   But again it's worth it to see Ryan and the team play, a small sacrifice to make  :thumbsup:

cornonthe

Quote from: valpo04 on June 20, 2011, 03:02:40 PM
Quote from: sectionee on June 20, 2011, 02:47:20 PM
Did dcvalpo leave the board?

Looks like it.
I don't blame him...he was treated like crap by that guy. Anyway...I hate the 4 hour flight from Arizona to back home, so I can't see ever going to Australia or New Zealand on vacation...despite wanting to go there badly...

koala

Where's your sense of adventure cornonthe the trip may be long but it is well worth it.   A few drinks, watch a few movies and before you know it you'll be here  :thumbsup:
What a shame you wouldn't make the trip 'Down Under' we have an amazing country and we are very friendly and laid back.   New Zealand is also a gorgeous country, hope you change your mind and visit us here some time in the future?   

Valpo89

Quote from: valpo04 on June 20, 2011, 03:02:40 PM
Quote from: sectionee on June 20, 2011, 02:47:20 PM
Did dcvalpo leave the board?
Looks like it.
If that kid left the board because of that, he doesn't have very thick skin. The first thing I thought of when he questioned whether our international kids went home on the weekend before a game is, "Are you crazy?" And this was before I even scrolled down to the next response calling him out.
Not even considering the time factor involved, the expense of a flight to and from Australia isn't something you just put on a credit card and forget about. You'd have to be making NBA money to do something like that. And, if you're a college student or beyond, you should know that.

VUfan

And  you have never asked a dumb Question? How do you grow if not by asking Questions both uninformed and informend? Now short, trite inconsiderate answers show a lazy, disrespectful attitude.
Have fun attack.

cornonthe

Quote from: koala on June 21, 2011, 01:05:39 AM
Where's your sense of adventure cornonthe the trip may be long but it is well worth it.   A few drinks, watch a few movies and before you know it you'll be here  :thumbsup:
What a shame you wouldn't make the trip 'Down Under' we have an amazing country and we are very friendly and laid back.   New Zealand is also a gorgeous country, hope you change your mind and visit us here some time in the future?   
Don't get me wrong...I'd LOVE to go but my back won't allow a trip like that...I'd have to be sedated with much more than drink to make it...and then the next few days in misery recovering in the hotel room...:P Meh...maybe one of these days...although, I feel like I've been there already on House Hunters International...

koala

Well I tell you what, if you ever come to Melbourne you will be welcome to come to our home for a meal or several  :)

govalpogo

dc leaving is unfortunate.  He wasn't my favorite poster or fan in the student section, but he did have a lot of passion for Valpo sports.  I think he just really wanted discussion in the off summer months and started this (admittedly silly) thread without much thought.  56 one can ignore, but when an admin and even 72 jump on you that quickly, he probably felt pretty low.  He'll probably come back...or will have his heart hardened toward Valpo fans forever...but either way we should know that our words have power and even on a fan board we should be thoughtful of what we post. 

Funny how many students don't become avid Valpo fans for fear of looking foolish, and we find one (over) zealous student on the board and he quickly turns away after being made to look like a fool. 

valpo04

Quote from: govalpogo on June 22, 2011, 11:19:46 AM
Funny how many students don't become avid Valpo fans for fear of looking foolish, and we find one (over) zealous student on the board and he quickly turns away after being made to look like a fool.  

He isn't a student.

govalpogo

*open mouth, insert foot.* Well, he wasn't who I thought he was then...either way...unfortunate end.

valpofan56

Quote from: govalpogo on June 22, 2011, 11:19:46 AM...but either way we should know that our words have power and even on a fan board we should be thoughtful of what we post.

Funny thing is I was extremely thoughtful of what I said to him. I simply gave him a helpful suggestion so as to avoid embarrassing himself further.  Luckily for him he accepted my advice.

I went out of my way to not call him a complete and total moron for asking one of the stupidest questions I have ever heard from somebody over the age of 10.

Valpo89

Quote from: valpofan56 on June 22, 2011, 12:16:53 PM
I went out of my way to not call him a complete and total moron for asking one of the stupidest questions I have ever heard from somebody over the age of 10.
Hilarious! LOL