• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Women to visit China

Started by rlh, June 22, 2011, 04:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlh

The University finally released one of the things that many of us knew about but weren't allowed to announce....the VU women will be traveling to China in August.  These types of trips normally result in a team starting off much better than they might otherwise and teams that travel overseas many times have great years after.  Let's hope this happens with the ladies....Congratulations to Keith Freeman and his ladies...should be a great trip

StlVUFan

Quote from: rlh on June 22, 2011, 04:56:12 PM
The University finally released one of the things that many of us knew about but weren't allowed to announce....the VU women will be traveling to China in August.  These types of trips normally result in a team starting off much better than they might otherwise and teams that travel overseas many times have great years after.  Let's hope this happens with the ladies....Congratulations to Keith Freeman and his ladies...should be a great trip

:clap:

Crusader03

Any idea what type of competition they will be playing?  Will this be similar to the mens' trip to Mexico, a trip in which we completely dominated the competition?  That type of trip would actually be ideal for the ladies, coming off a less-than-stellar season.

Valpo89

It's a good thing they waited to announce it. Man, that was a huge story. ::)

Pgmado

Valpo89, I dare say more important then some running story. :)

Valpo89

Quote from: Pgmado on June 23, 2011, 03:27:35 PM
Valpo89, I dare say more important then some running story. :)
I'm not saying it's not important. I'm just saying, what's the big deal to make the announcement?
I won't get into any discussions about how there's probably more people in the local running community who care about running stories than VU women's basketball.

wayne

Is this the right thing to do considering the state of the economy? I am sure that donations are down and for them to go on a trip like this seems to be fiscally irresponsible.

sectionee

There is plenty of money for this trip.  No worries!

rlh

Look....I agree with '89 to a point....and had this discussion with one of the PR people for the university....I'm not sure why this couldn't have been announced sooner, but the university is very picky about when things are announced and by whom.  I've been called in on three occassions over the years for posting things on the board that I thought were no big deal, but apparently were.  It's just better to wait until the process is complete and the school makes the announcement. 

valporun

I have to agree with rlh about putting information out before the main source releases it. Better to have the full details from the university when a link to the story can be supplied, rather than putting information out there that might have so many details missing... oh wait, this message board does that a lot. Speculation at its finest.

valpo04

Quote from: valporun on June 24, 2011, 06:43:27 AM
I have to agree with rlh about putting information out before the main source releases it. Better to have the full details from the university when a link to the story can be supplied, rather than putting information out there that might have so many details missing... oh wait, this message board does that a lot. Speculation at its finest.

It's one thing for a bunch of fans to discuss and speculate about something, which is ultimately what marketing wants, but it is quite another  for someone "in the know" to leak it before it is officially announced.

Also, this wasn't the "big announcement" we've been hearing about is it??

Crusader03

Quote from: valpo04 on June 24, 2011, 07:23:51 AM
Quote from: valporun on June 24, 2011, 06:43:27 AM

It's one thing for a bunch of fans to discuss and speculate about something, which is ultimately what marketing wants, but it is quite another  for someone "in the know" to leak it before it is officially announced.

Also, this wasn't the "big announcement" we've been hearing about is it??

No, I saw on FB that it is coming July 1.

Pgmado

I nearly mentioned the China trip in a couple articles in the past two months, not because I was looking to break the story, but because I had no clue it was still a surprise. The players have been tweeting and Facebooking about the trip for months. I was actually surprised when I saw the release come, I thought it was common knowledge.

jack

Likewise, I thought this was already out there and common knowlege. I saw it posted somewhere some time ago. I think, given they can only do this once every 4 years, it's an opportunity that couldn't be passed up. All indications are there aren't any issues with the budget for this. What a great opportunity for these young ladies. I see many upsides to this trip. NCAA rules allow us to get started early with practices to prep for it. The girls will have a nice span of time together to bond and build relationships, and improve chemistry, which has been lacking as of late. They all get to experience something they may have never had the opportunity to do otherwise - The trip in itself will be a cultural, learning experience, which is what college is all about. In a span of 10 days, they compete in 3 games, several camps, and have some time to see the sites and learn some traditions. How cool this will be for them. And they'll have some time to welcome, and bond with the incoming class. Another huge plus! It's a win, win for everyone I'd say.

jack

Does anyone know when they plan on posting this season's schedule? I thought I saw it listed somewhere but have yet to see it posted on the school site.

melindagick

Best wishes to the Women's team for a safe, exciting and culturally enriching trip to China!!:)

valpopal

Apparently, the Georgetown men's team did not have a trip to China as pleasant as our women did. Check out this video:

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/31398073?source=rss_blogs_NCAAB

VU75

Great, the economy isn't 't bad enough, so let's piss off the Chinese.

valpo84

Having now been to two games here in China. last week with Valpo women and this week with Duke, the intensity and physicality being displayed by the Chinese has been an interesting adjustment for US teams. This has not been an exhibition tour in that sense. There has been some very tough man-to-man (or woman-to-woman) defense out of the gate and a lot of elbows. I was very impressed with how our women picked it up to meet that intensity and physicality and I think they learned quite bit on this trip, besides the cultural and educational aspects. Not to mention that the reffing has been atrocious. Coach K was very animated last night and rightfully so on many occasions. He couldn't buy the T though.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vuweathernerd

from what i've read about the g'town incident, it was a very physical game and a lot of it was initiated by the chinese teams. it isn't so much causing it as having to defend themselves. the article on espn about the brawl talks about how chinese teams have been fined thousands of dollars by international agencies in europe and asia for their overbearing physicality.

"The melee was the latest instance of on-court fighting by China, whose players have been fined tens of thousands of dollars by the world and Asian federations for scrapping with opponents."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6873726/georgetown-hoyas-chinese-professional-team-game-ends-brawl

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on August 18, 2011, 02:41:23 PM
Apparently, the Georgetown men's team did not have a trip to China as pleasant as our women did. Check out this video:

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/31398073?source=rss_blogs_NCAAB

Wow!  I guess the whole world is catching up with us on the basketball court.