• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014-15 Season

Started by classof2014, October 10, 2014, 09:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

I seem to miss what he said/did in relation to that article?
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

Pgmado

I typically look at just conference-only stats when voting for league honors.

talksalot

Maybe Aaron can chime in here with the POW-FOW mechanism.  I understood that each team (not sure if its the SID or Coach) that submits their pick from their own team for each award... and then the league office selects one.  I could be wrong....

But I'm sure that with all of our new-found balanced attack, we don't have anyone sparking statistical interest.  It might be interesting to see how many of these awards are coming off a week in which they played UIC? (Read that:  Padding the Stats)

HC

I wonder if the Valpo guys played 37+ minutes per game if their stats would jump off the page.

wh

Would someone kindly answer this question for me. How many has the POTW honor been awarded to someone whose team did not win all the games they played that particular week?

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

Quote from: wh on February 09, 2015, 03:28:00 PM
Would someone kindly answer this question for me. How many has the POTW honor been awarded to someone whose team did not win all the games they played that particular week?

I'm not sure why you're so upset about the PotW honor going to someone who put up 50 points and 24 rebounds in 2 games despite going 1-1 but I found another one from earlier this year.

a3uge

Why do they do player of the week voting in the first place? The sample sizes are literally 1-2 games. These awards are irrelevant. Let Oakland's 5 players rack up stats to make a couple Oakland fans happy, and we'll take being above .500 while controlling our own destiny in route to a Horizon League championship.

historyman

Quote from: wh on February 09, 2015, 02:57:06 PMThe next thing you know the HL office will let Oakland host the tournament at the o'rena if they're the no.1 seed. Only kidding. I'm sure the league office was smart enough to tell Oakland at the time they made the exception to let them join the league despite not meeting the arena size requirements that in the event they host the tournament, they would have to find a larger arena so the league wouldn't risk losing tens of thousands of dollars in ticket sales. Surely the league did that, right?  Especially since Oakland was begging to get into the league, and the league was holding all the cards, right?  Surely they didn't let Greg the charmer bamboozle them with flattery about for awesome it would be to join 1 of the top 10 leagues in the country, did they?  They didn't, did they?

They have an arena just down the road from Oakland U in Auburn Hills that would work out. The guys who own it even call it a Palace. It would cost some of that guarantee money that the Grizzlies earned losing 6 games in the non-conf. I'm sure they have a plan in place.

We're going to hold the HL baseball tournament next to the BP refinery up in Whiting. I don't think we have that much to complain about.

There appears to be something between the skyline and Lake Michigan that doesn't smell too great isn't nice looking either.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Haha, I didn't know that was the view of the field!  Very scenic :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Wow - here I thought it was a joke.  What happened to using the Railcats' stadium?

historyman

Quote from: agibson on February 10, 2015, 07:20:07 AMWhat happened to using the Railcats' stadium?
A quick check of the Railcats website shows their league starting in May instead of June so it sounds like the Railcats will be in full swing. The Railcats open on May 21st. It may also be the cost of renting the stadium.

Horizon League Baseball Championship
May 20-23, 2015
Host:Valparaiso
Facilities:Oil City Stadium
Reigning Champ: Youngstown State

http://www.railcatsbaseball.com/schedule/default/2015/5/
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valporun

It's possible scheduling conflicts with Railcats Stadium, depending on what the season schedule is or the training schedule leading to the start of the season. The schedule probaby didn't work out at all.

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on February 10, 2015, 11:58:11 PM
It's possible scheduling conflicts with Railcats Stadium, depending on what the season schedule is or the training schedule leading to the start of the season. The schedule probaby didn't work out at all.

In the post above your post are the dates for the HL tournament and the link is to the Railcats schedule in May. If you had checked the schedule you would have seen that the Railcats start their season at home against the Quebec les Capitales on May 21 which was during the HL tournament which is May 20-23. I think it was pretty clear from that post that the Railcats schedule conflicted with the HL tournament.

valpopal

[tweet]567374563739455488[/tweet]

valpopal

Valpo ranked #34 in new AP poll, receives 8 votes (John Feinstein & Seth Davis vote Crusaders at #25, Dough Doughty lists them at #20): http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on February 16, 2015, 11:28:04 AM[tweet]567374563739455488[/tweet]

Some people in Detroit will be Bass Ackwards about this announcement all the way from the Motor City to Paris!

I bet Juwan to know why and Howard I know that.

valpopal

Add another honor for T. Walker:

[tweet]567438288890650624[/tweet]

wh

It would have been pretty embarrassing for Tevonn to be deemed worthy of national mid major player of the week but not HL freshman of the week. I like Bass a lot, but the reality is he starred in 1 game and did almost nothing in the other, not to mention Detroit lost 1 of 2.

a3uge

Quote from: historyman on February 16, 2015, 02:13:21 PM
Quote from: valpopal on February 16, 2015, 11:28:04 AM[tweet]567374563739455488[/tweet]

Some people in Detroit will be Bass Ackwards about this announcement all the way from the Motor City to Paris!

I bet Juwan to know why and Howard I know that.

Yeah they're all about that Bass no Tevonn

talksalot

They need the Bass-O-Matic 2150.   

https://screen.yahoo.com/bassomatic-76-000000902.html

valpopal

A clean sweep for the Walkers this week as Darien Walker joins Tevonn and Jasmyn for weekly honors, this time from College Sports Madness.

[tweet]567535990341107713[/tweet]

FWalum

Quote from: valpopal on February 16, 2015, 03:42:20 PM
Add another honor for T. Walker:

[tweet]567438288890650624[/tweet]
Tremendous honor for the freshman. Congratulations Tevonn!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

classof2014

With the Panthers pulling off the upset against the Vikings. Valpo has the chance to clinch the HL on Wednesday night in Callahan Hall against the Titans. If Valpo does clinch, this would be 3 of the last 4 HL regular season titles to the Crusaders. With this latest season having a complete roster turnover from the last HL champion team, minus Vashil who was basically sat on the bench all season.

The coaching staff did an absolutely fantastic job reloading. They recruited near and far, going to Illinois for guys like Jubril, Lexus, and Alec. Turning to transfers like KC, EVN, and Darien. As well as going out of the country to bring in Tevonn and Skara, as well as Max who filled in quite well when we were dealing with injuries.

Unlike some teams who are a one man show, cough-Green Bay-cough. Valpo is truly a team. Before the season started we learned that Lexus would be lost for the season suffering a torn ACL. KC though stepped up and in a big way, looking like the big-name recruit that Rick Majerus loved. Not even two games into the conference season he suffered a dislocated toe, the team was 1-1 at the time and many thought Valpo's chances were minimal.

The team responded, EVN and Max stepped us and gave us big minutes at the point. Helping Valpo go 9-1 over a 10 game span, with the lone loss being by a single point.

Every regular on the team has at least had one game where they stepped up when they needed to. We don't need a 30 point outing from Alec in order to win. Green Bay needs that out of Keifer. The scoring comes from all over, not just 3 guys scoring 57 of the 60 points in a loss to Milwaukee.

Valpo is more than just one or two players. This is a team. And teams step up when the going gets tough, when we're down late to WSU or UWM. When we need a clutch 3 to help us seal the deal, when we need the defensive stop. Somebody is always there to make the play. Valpo doesn't just look to one player to step up and make the play, it can be anybody.

Valpo has a golden opportunity. Beat a mediocre Detroit team and the final game is meaningless. Valpo holds a 2 game lead on the rest of the conference in a season when many thought Valpo would be just meh. People asked who would score other than Alec? Who will pick up the slack due to injury at the point? Why did Bryce need to go to Canada to pick up 2 guards when they're only an hour from Chicago? Many of the questions have been answered.

I'm not crowning them champions yet. Detroit is good, they are talented and can beat anybody. The true test though will be the conference tournament. Can they get it done when it matters most? I guess that is the final question and the answer begins on Wednesday night at Callahan Hall in Motor City against Detroit.

Kyle321n

Quote from: classof2014 on February 23, 2015, 11:12:00 AM
Every regular on the team has at least had one game where they stepped up when they needed to. We don't need a 30 point outing from Alec in order to win. Green Bay needs that out of Keifer. The scoring comes from all over, not just 3 guys scoring 57 of the 60 points in a loss to Milwaukee.

A crazy stat, everyone who has played 20 total minutes in conference play this year (this means everyone but Chadwick and Davidson) has scored 9+ points in a game. I don't know many teams in this conference who can have 9 guys score regularly when they get minutes, but our team does. We are DEEP.