• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Assistant Basketball Coach: Roger Powell, Jr.

Started by valpopal, June 27, 2011, 02:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

"Valparaiso men's basketball head coach Bryce Drew announced today that the Crusaders have hired former University of Illinois standout Roger Powell Jr. as an assistant coach.  Powell has spent the last six years playing professional basketball, including a stint with the Utah Jazz of the NBA... "

http://www.valpoathletics.com/news/default/173/10870/

sectionee

A big guy from Joliet who played at Illinois.  He could help the recruiting in the basketball rich Chicago-land area.

setshot

Good show,but another rookie hired by a rookie head coach. Let's hope for the best. Go Drewsaders!

hoopfan22

Heard about this over the weekend, along with some other stuff regarding this hire. Head scratcher for sure.

Crusader03

Certainly this was a move made with recruiting in mind...I like it, but I am concerned about the lack of experience on the bench.

Something that has not really been mentioned---won't Homer continue to be a close advisor to Bryce?  Maybe that is where the experience comes from

valpotx

I like this hire for the recruiting benefits.  Being able to tell kids that they will be coached by someone who spent much of the season playing at the #1 ranked program in the nation, and who played in an NCAA title game, can be a big sell.  Someone that has been through the tough games can only help us...
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: Crusader03 on June 27, 2011, 05:42:22 PM
Certainly this was a move made with recruiting in mind...I like it, but I am concerned about the lack of experience on the bench.Something that has not really been mentioned---won't Homer continue to be a close advisor to Bryce?  Maybe that is where the experience comes from

First off, I think the hire is a very good one.  We add a young black man with NBA experience and great ties to Illinois and the midwest.

As for "experience", I wonder what that means in this situation.  Do we have guys with D1 head coaching experience on the bench?  Nope.  Will we have two guys with NCAA tourney and NBA experience on the bench?  Yep.  Luke Gore is entering his 10th year as an asst coach.  Chris Sparks is entering his fifth year, all under one Homer Drew.  Other than that, we lack experience.  I guess...  ???

Oh, and one more thing...Homer will stop being an advisor to Bryce and Scott when he takes his last breath.  I sure don't expect that any time soon!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

milanmiracle

This is a FANTASTIC HIRE! As you know I am a glass half empty kind of guy, but i couldn't be more pleased. If he can communicate half of the things he did on the court at Illinois to some of the Valpo players, the Crusaders will be in good shape.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VU75

This team has two projects at the center position so it's good to see more coaching help for the bigs.

sectionee

If nothing else our coaching staff should be able to take on any other coaching staff in the league in a 4 on 4 game.

hoopfan22

Not sure this is a fantastic hire. It's okay. Good in name recognition for sure, but I'm not sold on what's going on there these days at all.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: sectionee on June 27, 2011, 02:20:02 PM
A big guy from Joliet who played at Illinois.  He could help the recruiting in the basketball rich Chicago-land area.

good thoughts! i sure hope so.

milanmiracle

Quote from: hoopfan22 on June 27, 2011, 09:27:38 PM
Not sure this is a fantastic hire. It's okay. Good in name recognition for sure, but I'm not sold on what's going on there these days at all.

Just to clarify, it's fantastic to me because I believe Roger Powell will teach the game the right way. Roger Powell was a winning player at Illinois and did more to help that team win that most will give him credit for. He knew how to move without the ball, set up his teammates even when they weren't involved in the play directly and getting ready to rebound before the shot was even attempted. I think he can really help this team.

I still have recordings of the Illini team and I am not even a fan of Illinois. They played the game the right way, and even though they didn't win the national title, they still were one of the best teams I've seen since UNLV of the early 90's.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

wh

Quote from: VU75 on June 27, 2011, 06:59:05 PM
This team has two projects at the center position so it's good to see more coaching help for the bigs.
I don't know anything about Powell, but I see he's listed as 6-6 and played SF.  SF is closer to PF and C than our mostly guard-oriented coaching staff, but I wonder how much first-hand knowledge he has about low post offense and defense.  That said, he could be a big help in developing our mid-sized guys like Rowdy, Jakolis and Edwards.

sectionee

A guy that played at the level he did probably has a pretty good feel for all the positions on the court, except maybe point guard. 

vu72

I really don't think size matters in this context.  How tall is Scott Drew?  Seriously, a guy with inside experience will be helpful for Luke Gore, who handles our bigs now.  We really don't need more coaches, we need more bigs!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

lowposter

Recruiting Illinois players will no doubt be his assignment.

He was a warrier at Illinois.

hoopfan22

None. I said before, this is a real head scratcher.

valpofan56

Quote from: hoopfan22 on June 27, 2011, 03:15:01 PM
Heard about this over the weekend, along with some other stuff regarding this hire. Head scratcher for sure.

Quote from: hoopfan22 on June 27, 2011, 09:27:38 PM

Quote from: hoopfan22 on June 29, 2011, 06:26:32 AM
None. I said before, this is a real head scratcher.

How about instead of adding pointless comments to the discussion you actually make a point? Why don't you get/like the hire? Who were you expecting? Bob Knight? As a mid major, your chances of landing new assistant coaches with a significant amount of experience is slim to none.

valpo04

Quote from: hoopfan22 on June 29, 2011, 08:10:33 AM
inbox

So you can allude to this move being a "head scratcher" three separate times in this thread, but your reasoning as to why can only be shared through PM?

Weak.

valpofan56

Quote from: valpo04 on June 29, 2011, 09:08:00 AM
inbox

So you can allude to this move being a "head scratcher" three separate times in this thread, but your reasoning as to why can only be shared through PM?

Weak.

That's what I told him.  I told him to post what he messaged me because I thought it could really add to the discussion, for better or worse.

vu72

Nice article about Powell by Lazerus.  It sounds like Fernandez should be a Crusader shortly.  The pieces are starting to fall together!

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/6246772-419/mark-lazerus-no-experience-necessary-at-valpo.html

covufan

Quote from: valpofan56 on June 29, 2011, 09:47:08 AM
Quote from: valpo04 on June 29, 2011, 09:08:00 AM
inbox

Weak.

That's what I told him.  I told him to post what he messaged me because I thought it could really add to the discussion, for better or worse.

Not sure I understand as well.  By most accounts, it appears that Powell will fit in nicely with the VU coaching staff.  This young staff has the knowledge, and should be able to work together to convey that knowledge to the players.  Homer is not far if they should desire to seek his counsel.