• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Big guys....

Started by rlh, June 29, 2011, 02:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlh

I just saw Cam, Vucic, Kurth and one of the new guys at Wal-Mart.  I swear Vucic has gained 30 or 40 pounds....he looks huge...of course we were standing in Wal-Mart, so not sure if that translates to the floor...but it gave me hope.

sectionee

Well that is certainly good news.  The guy could hide behind the light poles outside last year if he wanted too.  Hopefully those guys can contribute some good minutes this year!

wh

Quote from: rlh on June 29, 2011, 02:48:07 PM
I just saw Cam, Vucic, Kurth and one of the new guys at Wal-Mart.  I swear Vucic has gained 30 or 40 pounds....he looks huge...of course we were standing in Wal-Mart, so not sure if that translates to the floor...but it gave me hope.

I stopped by the ARC a little while ago and watched a few minutes of 5 on 5 scrimmaging on the main court.  Vucic was a "skin" and I agree that he looks noticeably bigger and more muscular.  Even better, he hit 2 fairly closely contested outside jump shots with good form and a quick release.  I remember watching him a year ago at this time and commenting on the board that he was slow and mechanical.  He also blocked a shot off a Tommy Kurth drive to the hoop.  He definitely appears to be making progress.   

vuweathernerd

maybe there's hope for vucic yet. maybe last year was just him looking awkward for having only recently grown and still adapting to the speed of the game at the next level.

Crusader03

I sure hope that weight gain translates to better play on the court from Vucic...this team is completely different if Vucic makes a significant contribution.  All of the sudden you could see a big lineup of say, Boggs-Broekhoff-Edwards-Van Wykk-Vucic.  Obviously there are a lot fo question marks there (will Vucic really improve?  Will Kevin be healthy?  Can Edwards play the 3? What do we have in Boggs?), but he would certainly add another dimension to the team and would change the flexibility of our lineups.

vu72

Quote from: Crusader03 on June 29, 2011, 07:14:38 PM
I sure hope that weight gain translates to better play on the court from Vucic...this team is completely different if Vucic makes a significant contribution.  All of the sudden you could see a big lineup of say, Boggs-Broekhoff-Edwards-Van Wykk-Vucic.  Obviously there are a lot fo question marks there (will Vucic really improve?  Will Kevin be healthy?  Can Edwards play the 3? What do we have in Boggs?), but he would certainly add another dimension to the team and would change the flexibility of our lineups.

You.ve overlooked Bogan and Fernandez.  If Vucic can play at all it will give us the deepest team perhaps we have ever had.  A difficult balancing act to say the least.
Although Edwards can play the 3 I don't see the need as Ryan is the first choice and Matt can easily play the 3 as well.  Vucic and/or Fernandez could allow Kevin to play the 4.  The depth at guard is amazing with Buggs, Harris and Tommy at the point and Bogan, Boggs and/or Ryan/Matt at the 2.  Should be a lot of fun!!   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader03

Quote from: vu72 on June 29, 2011, 09:04:08 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on June 29, 2011, 07:14:38 PM

You.ve overlooked Bogan and Fernandez.  If Vucic can play at all it will give us the deepest team perhaps we have ever had.  A difficult balancing act to say the least.
Although Edwards can play the 3 I don't see the need as Ryan is the first choice and Matt can easily play the 3 as well.  Vucic and/or Fernandez could allow Kevin to play the 4.  The depth at guard is amazing with Buggs, Harris and Tommy at the point and Bogan, Boggs and/or Ryan/Matt at the 2.  Should be a lot of fun!!   ;D

Oh, I'm not overlooking them...I was just trying to put our best "big" lineup out there.  Buggs, Bogan, Kenney and Harris will all be contributors...in fact, I think Bogan will make a huge impact this year.  He may start eventually.  I just really like what he brings to the table (from what I have seen from his highlight video)

I agree with you wholeheartedly...our backcourt depth is outstanding and we have a lot of talent.  If our bigs take steps forward, we will be mighty good

DMvalpo18

the beauty of these scenarios is the possible versatility we could have! love the sound of this.

milanmiracle

Quote from: wh on June 29, 2011, 06:23:07 PM
Quote from: rlh on June 29, 2011, 02:48:07 PM

I stopped by the ARC a little while ago and watched a few minutes of 5 on 5 scrimmaging on the main court.  Vucic was a "skin" and I agree that he looks noticeably bigger and more muscular.  Even better, he hit 2 fairly closely contested outside jump shots with good form and a quick release.  I remember watching him a year ago at this time and commenting on the board that he was slow and mechanical.  He also blocked a shot off a Tommy Kurth drive to the hoop.  He definitely appears to be making progress.   

Tommy Kurth drove to the hoop? I didn't know that was possible.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado