• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

ESPN article on Bryce

Started by valpopal, June 30, 2011, 01:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

"When Drew takes the floor for the first time as a coach, does he risk ruining his legacy as a Valpo icon? What if he fails? What if fans start to remember him differently? What if losses in the present obscure the glories of the past? This is a lot of pressure for your first coaching gig. Does he feel it? How could he not?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6721212

hoopfan22

I don't think it ruins his playing legacy. I also don't think there's much pressure here for him. Was there a lot for Scott? I ALSO don't see him here that long.

mj

I've mentioned it before but I look around and see young coaches leading their teams deep into the NCAA tournament. I think Bryce could be the next one to step up. I'm already looking forward to next year.

I think Bryce sticks around for awhile. If I'm not mistaken, his wife owns a business in town? I don't really see Bryce jumping at the first opportunity that comes up. He spurned major schools to play for Valpo. I think that says a lot about his character.
I believe that we will win.

bg321

I think Coach Bryce's playing legacy will remain intact no matter how successful he is as a coach. He starts building his coaching legacy in the fall. It'll be fun to watch!

In the end, I have no doubt he will succeed as a coach. He is a successful person. That's what people like that do. They don't know, nor will they accept, anything else.

I don't think he feels any extra pressure. He probably puts more pressure (if you want to call it that) on himself than any external factors.
Life Is Good

sectionee

I agree.  I think the only problem that we could possibly see is if he fails as a coach is will Valpo fire him, and I for one don't see him failing.  He has a very talented roster to work with in year one, but as we have mentioned in another thread is the trick will be getting all the new and returning players to gel quickly.  I'm really looking forward to the fall!

Valpo89

Thanks for the link, it's always good to read an outsider's perspective.

I don't see there being that much pressure on Bryce, except maybe from JJ.

covufan

Quote from: Valpo89 on June 30, 2011, 02:47:49 PM
Thanks for the link, it's always good to read an outsider's perspective.

I don't see there being that much pressure on Bryce, except maybe from JJ.

Except for the nepotism charge, which is a stretch, I don't see where jj can have much against Bryce as Valpo's Head Coach.  Others have said that the current staff does not have anyone with HC experience at the college level.  How many teams with new coaches have HC experience on their staff?

wh

Quote from: covufan on June 30, 2011, 03:42:16 PM
Except for the nepotism charge, which is a stretch, I don't see where jj can have much against Bryce as Valpo's Head Coach. 

Like so many things that are misinterpreted and misapplied, a situation only qualifies as nepotism when a friend or relative receives a position in favor of someone more qualified.  Bryce's resume stands on its own merit against anyone Valpo could possibly attract for its head coaching position.  Nepotism can and does occur of course, but not as much as those with an "external" locus of control would like to think that it does.   

swiftmutiny

I thought it was a very well written article and I can't wait to see Coach Drew leading the team from the sidelines next year.

milanmiracle

Quote from: wh on June 30, 2011, 04:25:22 PM
Quote from: covufan on June 30, 2011, 03:42:16 PM
Except for the nepotism charge, which is a stretch, I don't see where jj can have much against Bryce as Valpo's Head Coach. 

Like so many things that are misinterpreted and misapplied, a situation only qualifies as nepotism when a friend or relative receives a position in favor of someone more qualifiedBryce's resume stands on its own merit against anyone Valpo could possibly attract for its head coaching position.  Nepotism can and does occur of course, but not as much as those with an "external" locus of control would like to think that it does.   

I guess that depends on if you think being an actual head coach matters...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado