• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Interview with Hrvoje Vucic

Started by sectionee, July 07, 2011, 09:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sectionee

valpopal

Good interview. I noticed that you mentioned Vashil Fernandez to Hrvoje, and he spoke of Vashil as a teammate. I guess that is the closest we have thus far to an acknowledgment of Vashil's status until we have an official announcement. I was also pleased to hear the confirmation that Hrvoje has bulked up.

vu72

Even if he can just contribute it is a huge plus.  Interesting that he didn't mention Kevin among the bigs.  Perhaps it is just a given that Kevin will only be able to play limited minutes.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

Having a nickname Hrvoje contest on the SectionEE Facebook page.  Got a nice prize for the winner.

cmack

His best chance at contributing is passing down a towel or filling up the gatorade cups.  He is simply not at all a basketball player.

vu72

Quote from: cmack on July 09, 2011, 07:26:41 PM
His best chance at contributing is passing down a towel or filling up the gatorade cups.  He is simply not at all a basketball player.

I hope he makes you eat your words. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader03

HUGE overstatement. 

wh

Have you seen him since the season ended?  He is definitely improving.  It's hard to say how much he'll play next season, but with 3 years of eligibility remaining it's way too early to write him off.

cmack

Scholarship players should not come in that raw.  His one and only skill this year was being tall and to be honest he wasn't very good at that.  He was hardly an enforcer on defense.  He didn't disrupt anything.  Looking good in practice only makes me worry that our current players are not as good as I hope they will be. 

I hope I eat my words too, but I have a question.  If his skills are developing and he has such an upside, would you still have faith in him if he were 6'8?  I am pretty sure some of us are just too mesmerized by his height so we overlook his basketball shortcomings.  He is not a basketball player.  Maybe he can play the piano?

VU75

I too have my doubts but that's a silly argument.  Size is important.  Take 4" from Van Wijk and you have Milos Milosevic.  Just as important as developing skills is learning how to use his height, knowing where to be on the court, and what he can do and not to to have a court presence. 

Crusader03

Quote from: cmack on July 10, 2011, 12:22:06 PM
Scholarship players should not come in that raw.  His one and only skill this year was being tall and to be honest he wasn't very good at that.  He was hardly an enforcer on defense.  He didn't disrupt anything.  Looking good in practice only makes me worry that our current players are not as good as I hope they will be. 

I hope I eat my words too, but I have a question.  If his skills are developing and he has such an upside, would you still have faith in him if he were 6'8?  I am pretty sure some of us are just too mesmerized by his height so we overlook his basketball shortcomings.  He is not a basketball player.  Maybe he can play the piano?

Where do you coach, cmack?

rlh

Quote from: cmack on July 10, 2011, 12:22:06 PM

Not sure why you think tearing down a player is Ok, and that last crack about playing the piano is certainly not called for...Vucic may or may not develop into a player, but he certainly deserves the chance and your comments are completely over the line.....Opinions about where a player needs to improve are warranted and discussion should occur, personal attacks are uncalled for...and your "humor" is certainly sophomoric at best

bg321

I've never seen Hrvoje play, heck I don't even know how to pronounce his name (some help here?). But I look at the discussion of him this way: A team can have 13 scholarship players. Of these, in deep, generous programs, 9 will get most of the minutes. That leaves at least 4 scholarship players on every team in the country who won't play much--if at all--in games. But if these players bring something unique to practice or team chemistry, then I think they earn their scholarship. I think a team is worse off having 13 scholarshipped studs because no team can give those players enough minutes to satisfy them. And no team will be successful with 4 or more dissatisfied, disgruntled players bringing their negative attitudes to practice and the locker room everyday. Every team needs role players and some roles are played out in practice and in the team chemistry.
Life Is Good

rlh

Quote from: bg321 on July 10, 2011, 03:02:18 PM
I've never seen Hrvoje play, heck I don't even know how to pronounce his name (some help here?). But I look at the discussion of him this way: A team can have 13 scholarship players. Of these, in deep, generous programs, 9 will get most of the minutes. That leaves at least 4 scholarship players on every team in the country who won't play much--if at all--in games. But if these players bring something unique to practice or team chemistry, then I think they earn their scholarship. I think a team is worse off having 13 scholarshipped studs because no team can give those players enough minutes to satisfy them. And no team will be successful with 4 or more dissatisfied, disgruntled players bringing their negative attitudes to practice and the locker room everyday. Every team needs role players and some roles are played out in practice and in the team chemistry.
You have found out our dirty little secret...we have a few (thankfully very few) "fans" who think tearing down an individual player is the way a message board should work.  Your son will no doubt have his time in their posts at some point, all do...just don't let it bother you.  Most of us understand what players go through and disregard the negative guys.  Vucic is a super kid, a good student, and hopefully he will help us this winter in some capacity.  Your post made a very valid point.

crusaderjoe

I understand the premise of your post but I disagree completely as to its application in this instance.  Role playing is not germane to Vucic's immediate need IMO.  In VU's situation, where it has been desperately looking for a true "bang bang" 5 for some time now, a seven foot basketball player doesn't need to be utilized as a role player in practice.  Instead, the player's skillset needs to translate into positive and meaningful results against the likes of an Eli Holman in realtime game situations.  Unfortunately, from what I have seen, Vucic does not fill that critical need right now.

bg321

Will was criticized on a message board because he had a 16 and 7 game that wasn't on TV so nobody saw it. Like he screwed up because he didn't wait to have that game at home. I'm sure he'll get criticized for something or other in the next two years too. It is what it is. People are people.

A program like Valpo walks a very difficult line. On one hand everyone wants to do everything "the right way", kinda like life in Mayberry, NC back in Andy and Opie's day. On the other hand everyone wants to win the conference and get to the dance. It's not impossible to do both, just very difficult. The more Valpo goes to the other hand, the more fans' expectations of players and coaches will increase and many fans will become less accepting of what they perceive to be the less talented, warranted or not. So long as fans don't cross the blurry line between opinion and mean-spirited dissing, I think it's okay... unfortunate, but okay.
Life Is Good

cmack

I have coached many years at different age levels with both boys and girls.  Some coaches believe the tallest players play.  Others believe skill should be factored in.  I am in the latter group.

To your rlh, the specific skills he needs to work on are his basketball skills.  He is very good at being tall, so he needs no improvement there.

Crusader03

Quote from: cmack on July 10, 2011, 04:45:04 PM
I have coached many years at different age levels with both boys and girls.  Some coaches believe the tallest players play.  Others believe skill should be factored in.  I am in the latter group.

To your rlh, the specific skills he needs to work on are his basketball skills.  He is very good at being tall, so he needs no improvement there.

I was just curious if you coached now and specifically what levels you coached at. 

humbleopinion

I certainly haven't been impressed with Vucic's contributions on the court up to this point.  His feet never moved quickly enough to allow him to put his height to good use.  Using his name along with that of Eli Holman in the same sentence is a reminder of his lack of strength.  Still, my picture of him is that of a young man who rarely needs to put a razor to his face.  If his body is filling out (as has been the report) and is catching up with his height, his center of gravity may be a bit lower --  I have hopes for him.  
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

Quote from: crusaderjoe on July 10, 2011, 03:26:00 PM

I understand the premise of your post but I disagree completely as to its application in this instance.  Role playing is not germane to Vucic's immediate need IMO.  In VU's situation, where it has been desperately looking for a true "bang bang" 5 for some time now, a seven foot basketball player doesn't need to be utilized as a role player in practice.  Instead, the player's skillset needs to translate into positive and meaningful results against the likes of an Eli Holman in realtime game situations.  Unfortunately, from what I have seen, Vucic does not fill that critical need right now.

First, let me explain why we have Vuc on the team.  He is SEVEN FEET, ONE INCH! Every team in America would like to have a seven footer on their team who can help in some meaningful way.  That could be a role like helping with rebounding against bigger teams or forcing fouls with mismatches against smaller teams.  When was the last four or five star seven footer who played in the Horizon?  Keith Benson's don't arrive on mid-major campus' very often.  So what to do?  Take a chance on a true seven footer who has promise and may develop into what we need.  If he were a stud last year, he would have been playing at some major.  So has he developed?  He has gained about 40 lbs and lots of muscle.  We have no idea how he has developed on his footwork of shooting, time will tell.  He is A SOPHOMORE!!!  We still have three years of eligibility with which to work.  Fernandez will need some work too!

The words chosen by cmack were unfortunate indeed and I couldn't agree more with rlh.  We aren't a Purdue or Indiana or any other major fan board.  Let's show some class.  This is a Valpo board afterall.

valpofan56

I've never seen Hrvoje play, heck I don't even know how to pronounce his name (some help here?).

I believe it's pronounced Her-Voy-eh.

valpotx

Give him time.  I would be more than happy to get at least Antti Nikkila production out of him someday (10-15 minutes every game).
"Don't mess with Texas"

lowposter

There are very few bigs out there.  The great ones are one and gone.  The good ones make great contributions to their college programs for 4 years (perhaps less) and the rest are a work in progress.  It takes time for most big kids to make the progress necessary.

Right now I am working with a 6'8" 16 year old that has unbelievable upside potential.  But the cold realities are that during a major exposure tournament in Chicago he shot 40% from the field, 35% from the line and had 7 rebounds in 3 games.  He also played above the rim and blocked about 10 shots...that had the D1 mid majors drooling.  He might develope into a very good player, but at this time he has had little coaching or consistancy in his life.  But...he has raw tools and size.  It is all about length...and he has it. 

So, lets give Hrvoje just a little time...my guess is that if he has put on weight and worked hard, we will see improvement this year.

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on July 10, 2011, 05:30:46 PMFirst, let me explain why we have Vuc on the team.  He is SEVEN FEET, ONE INCH! Every team in America would like to have a seven footer on their team who can help in some meaningful way.  That could be a role like helping with rebounding against bigger teams or forcing fouls with mismatches against smaller teams.  When was the last four or five star seven footer who played in the Horizon?  Keith Benson's don't arrive on mid-major campus' very often.  So what to do?  Take a chance on a true seven footer who has promise and may develop into what we need.  If he were a stud last year, he would have been playing at some major.  So has he developed?  He has gained about 40 lbs and lots of muscle.  We have no idea how he has developed on his footwork of shooting, time will tell.  He is A SOPHOMORE!!!  We still have three years of eligibility with which to work.  Fernandez will need some work too!

The words chosen by cmack were unfortunate indeed and I couldn't agree more with rlh.  We aren't a Purdue or Indiana or any other major fan board.  Let's show some class.  This is a Valpo board afterall.
Couldn't agree with lowposter, valpotx, vu72 and rlh more! Some of you need to read this article from SI in order to get a perspective on just how rare it is to have a 7 footer on a team and also how late some of them develop.  Here is link to the article Larger Than Real Life

Here is a short quote from the article...
Quote Fact: An actual accounting of 7-footers, domestic or global, does not exist in any reliable form. National surveys by the Center for Disease Control list no head count or percentile at that height. (Only 5% of adult American males are 6'3" or taller.) "In terms of the growth spectrum, 7 feet is simply extreme," explains endocrinologist Shlomo Melmed, dean of the medical faculty at L.A.'s Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. The term 7-footer is itself a kind of outer limit, a far-off threshold beyond which precise measurement seems superfluous. A 6'4" guard isn't a 6-footer, after all. The curve shaped by the CDC's available statistics, however, does allow one to estimate the number of American men between the ages of 20 and 40 who are 7 feet or taller: fewer than 70 in all. Which indicates, by further extrapolation, that while the probability of, say, an American between 6'6" and 6'8" being an NBA player today stands at a mere 0.07%, it's a staggering 17% for someone 7 feet or taller.

In this century, for the tallest among us, hoops is not just a reasonable hobby but a de facto life imperative. "I'll check up on anyone over 7 feet that's breathing," says Ryan Blake, the NBA's assistant director of scouting. It shouldn't be surprising that the tallest living American-born man, 7'8" George Bell, played college ball (at Biola University in California), made camp with the Clippers in 1988 and suited up for the Globetrotters before taking on his present job as a sheriff's deputy in Norfolk. Or that 7'8" Paul Sturgess, who can clutch a rim without jumping, emigrated from Loughborough, England, explicitly to play basketball and finished his collegiate career at Mountain State University in West Virginia this past season. Or that LSU coaches encouraged 7'2" Andrew Del Piero, once a tuba player with the Tigers' band, to drop his instrument last year and walk onto the varsity basketball team. The rising junior has yet to enter a game, but there he is.

"There ain't but two things you can do at 7 feet," jokes Harry Stanback, whose son, Trevor, is a center at Summit Intermediate School in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., and, already 6'8" at age 13, projected to join the 7-footers' club soon enough. "One of them is play basketball. The other is clean elephant butts."
I think we can afford to be a little more understanding of the unique situation.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

crusaderjoe

Quote from: vu72 on July 10, 2011, 05:30:46 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on July 10, 2011, 03:26:00 PM

I understand the premise of your post but I disagree completely as to its application in this instance.  Role playing is not germane to Vucic's immediate need IMO.  In VU's situation, where it has been desperately looking for a true "bang bang" 5 for some time now, a seven foot basketball player doesn't need to be utilized as a role player in practice.  Instead, the player's skillset needs to translate into positive and meaningful results against the likes of an Eli Holman in realtime game situations.  Unfortunately, from what I have seen, Vucic does not fill that critical need right now.

First, let me explain why we have Vuc on the team.  He is SEVEN FEET, ONE INCH! Every team in America would like to have a seven footer on their team who can help in some meaningful way.  That could be a role like helping with rebounding against bigger teams or forcing fouls with mismatches against smaller teams.  When was the last four or five star seven footer who played in the Horizon?  Keith Benson's don't arrive on mid-major campus' very often.  So what to do?  Take a chance on a true seven footer who has promise and may develop into what we need.  If he were a stud last year, he would have been playing at some major.  So has he developed?  He has gained about 40 lbs and lots of muscle.  We have no idea how he has developed on his footwork of shooting, time will tell.  He is A SOPHOMORE!!!  We still have three years of eligibility with which to work.  Fernandez will need some work too!

The words chosen by cmack were unfortunate indeed and I couldn't agree more with rlh.  We aren't a Purdue or Indiana or any other major fan board.  Let's show some class.  This is a Valpo board afterall.

Vucic is 7' 1''?  Well hell, close up shop boys, this thread's over.  Lock this thing down—there's no point to discussing the relevancy of this kid's role with the team anymore.  His height by default makes him already relevant, even though, you know, height was never in issue or brought into issue by anyone on this board during this discussion.

I understand why Vucic is here.  What you wrote may have been entirely true, but that doesn't change the fact one iota that VU needs an immediate contributor at the 5 right now.  In other words, due to unfortunate timing, sheer coincidence, crap circumstances or chance--whatever you want to call it, Vucic doesn't have the luxury of having two or three years to develop and contribute meaningful game minutes because VU's needs simply dictate otherwise. What are you going to do--keep putting pressure on the 4's to play dual roles for the next three years?  IMO, he needs to produce now (this year) and that sense of urgency creates a role for him in my view that is diametrically inconsistent and mutually exclusive with his role of being a good "practice" player.  You are free to disagree with me, but the mindset that revolves around this sense of urgency is also diametrically opposite to the notion that  VU should "give him time" or "he's only a sophomore" or "its such a rarity to have a person over seven feet tall on the team."   Those comments are inconsistent with VU's current immediate needs.  I hope he is developing enough over this summer to provide meaningful minutes.  We'll see soon enough.