• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Be the Selection Committee

Started by ml2, March 09, 2016, 11:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pick 8 of the 20 blind resumes below for inclusion in the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team.

A
8 (25%)
B
3 (9.4%)
C
8 (25%)
D
16 (50%)
E
17 (53.1%)
F
0 (0%)
G
17 (53.1%)
H
6 (18.8%)
I
1 (3.1%)
J
14 (43.8%)
K
18 (56.3%)
L
2 (6.3%)
M
2 (6.3%)
N
15 (46.9%)
O
12 (37.5%)
P
5 (15.6%)
Q
8 (25%)
R
9 (28.1%)
S
21 (65.6%)
T
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: March 12, 2016, 11:44:55 AM

ml2

Take on the Selection Committee's hardest task and decide who is in and who is out. Using only the blind resume information below vote for 8 of the 20 teams and see who we collectively would put in this year's field of 68. Teams are listed from top to bottom in a completely random order and all data is from 3/9. The poll will be open for the next three days.

VULB#62

a3uge

This actually makes us look pretty good!

FWalum

Is it just me or is the image extremely hard to read?  Is there a better image?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

ml2

Try putting this link in your browser. It should get you a larger version of the image.

http://i.imgur.com/9RWT2Z3.gif?1

Also, when you are logged in I think you can click on the image to make it a little larger.

Kyle321n

Our line stuck out like a sore thumb because I just looked at our info. Maybe I should recuse myself, but screw it I'm voting and I'm putting us in. So that's one team off the list.

D, G, K, N, and R
These are all top 40 RPI teams. If you're in the top 40 RPI you are in, based on my personal feelings.
D isn't the strongest team of the bunch but 5 top 50 wins and 55th best OOC SOS is pretty dang good.
G is 3-5 vs top 50, but is nearly top 50 in every metric. And 0 bottom 150 losses is good.
K looks like a mid major who couldn't schedule, but just won. I think I know who K is and they are very in.
N is top 30 RPI. Not sure what that bad loss was, but it couldn't have been too bad if they are top 30
R has some bad losses, no signature win, but only were able to play 5 top 100 games. I'm guessing the 0-1 vs. top 50 was a road game.

Team J
This team deserves to get in just for their scheduling strength. Top 5 OOC SOS getting that signature win. I'm sorry for Team J that their conference sucks. Come join Valpo in the "why does our conference blow" party.

Team E
No bad losses, signature win and a high D1 win %. Welcome to the tourney other Mid-Major darling.

Valpo
I don't need to get into why we're in. I think we should be in.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

covufan

I don't go by RPI alone, so I dropped D, N and R. 

I like escargot. 

A, B, C, E, G, H, K & S

covufan

This shows how tough of a job the selection committee has this weekend - I can easily see where D and J make it. 

I may have voted too early - maybe I should have waited for another day or two of first and second round games...

talksalot

C E G J K N Q S

Giving a lot of weight to the road record/wins plus the overall W/L percentage...

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Commissioner

A, D, E, G, K, N, O, R

Good post.

HailVU2014

historyman

V A L P O  I N  T.

I added a team "V.".  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

talksalot

Quote from: bbtds on March 10, 2016, 12:34:57 AMDROPJLC

change the last letter from "C" to "A"

now see what you've got.

IndyValpo

Very interesting stuff...

A  D  E  G  H  J  O  S

vufan75

Didn't know where to put this so placed here. At least as of today ahead of Butler in kenpom rankings. Some  consolation....

David Woods of the Indy Star tweets this today. @DavidWoods007

#Butler a No. 9 seed in this mock bracket. Butler 39th in kenpom (Valpo 36th). https://t.co/Y0HKtdjMRp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

vufan75

Hopefully "the selection committee" looks at some of this info when evaluating Valpo's body of work. Mark Adams is a college basketball expert at ESPN and ASN per his twitter profile.

Mark Adams@EnthusiAdams
KPI is the best common sense resource I use to track bids. Period. Why? It starts from ground 0 w no assumptions. https://t.co/1fD0zAgP8Z

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

valpo64

While I am not a big Jay Bilus fan,  I do agree with his comments that mid majors should be selected before their respective conference tournaments.  He goes on to say that the system is fair but it is biased for the big 5 conferences becuase of the level of competition they play.  For the most part he says the mid majors cant improve their positions because of the level of competition they play in their tournaments but the big schools can improve their positions.  Some interesting thinking

valpo84

In Lunardi's bracket this morning, I still don't understand how Oregon State can be a last 4 in and we're in last 4 after winning head to head, etc.  I know I shouldn't get too frustrated with things you can't control, but if ORST gets in and we don't that would be a travesty.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VUOR63

Valo84, I agree with you.  I don't see how Or State makes it and Valpo doesn't.  Valpo went out to Oregon State and kicked their a**.  The final score was a 6 pt. win but it was really a butt kicking--it was men v. boys.  I sat court side for that game and it was readily apparent to me that Valpo's men were showing their little brothers how to play basketball.

By the way, D E J K N Q S T (Valpo has to be S, right?)

vusupporter

No two teams are ever considered just against each other at any point in the process. So there's never a point where it's just "Valpo vs. Oregon State", or "Valpo vs. Monmouth", etc. The opening post of this thread actually somewhat replicates the actual process, where a large group of teams are under consideration and each committee member ranks their top however many from that group.

There's a good overview of the entire process at: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2016-03-09/selection-sunday-2016-when-it-what-it-and-everything

bmlvu97

Brian M. Lenz
Valpo Class of 1997

d0uble3m

Super interesting read on the at-large selection process that vusupporter posted...

Certainly doesn't hurt our chances that we are automatically "considered" since we won our regular season title.

ml2

Thanks everyone for voting! It was interesting to see the votes and explanations come in. Here are the results. First the top 8 teams who would be in the Dance.

Last Four Byes
S     Valpo                 21
K     St. Mary's          18
E     Wichita St.         17
G     St. Joe's            17

Last Four In (Play In)
D    Oregon St           16
N    St. Bonaventure  15
J     San Diego St       14
O    USC                   12

First Four Out
R    Akron                 9
A    Vandy                 8
C    UConn                8
Q   Monmouth           8

Next Four Out
H   Florida                6
P    Syracuse            5
B   Pitt                     3
T   Tulsa                   3

Not Even Close
L   Temple                2
M  G. Washington     2
I   Ohio State           1
F   Michigan             0

Conference tournament results will obviously make this not an exact comparison, but will still be interesting to see how this compares to the actual selections. Thanks again everyone!