• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2011-12 Men's Home Schedule (tentative)

Started by wh, August 09, 2011, 08:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Someone on another thread noted that they had received a tentative home schedule (sent to season ticket holders), but if I recall correctly did not break down the games.  There are 17 games:

10/29      Hillsdale College (Exh)
11/3      Augustana College (Exh)
11/18-20     2K Sports Classic (Four team round-robin, two games each day)
TBA      Holy Cross (Ind)
12/10      Bowling Green
12/17      Oakland
12/29      Milwaukee
12/31      Green Bay
1/12      YSU
1/14      CSU
2/2      WSU   
2/4      Detroit
2/14      UIC
2/21      Loyola
2/25      Butler

agibson

Butler February 25th... the students will actually be on campus!

Do we know the teams for the "Classic"?  I guess this is sort of the designated loser's bracket that we're hosting?  The "regionals" are two weeks before with the "championship round" at MSG featuring St. John's, Arizona, Texas A&M, and MS State.

So, we should have a road game against one of those, I think, somewhere Nov 7-11.

So, anyway, a road game against a good team.  And, we get to host a four team tournament (round robin?) of the mid-majorish participants.

crusaderjoe

If the HL begins league play before 12/29, I take it we will open on the road yet again?

Cue the conspiracy theorists.

wh

Quote from: crusaderjoe on August 09, 2011, 10:19:38 PM
If the HL begins league play before 12/29, I take it we will open on the road yet again?

Cue the conspiracy theorists.

There is a 1 in 32 chance that by pure coincidence we were scheduled to open on the road for 5  consecutive years - the same probability of flipping 5  heads or 5 tails in a row.  How many years does it take to change "conspiracy theory" into "conspiracy fact?"   

valpopal

"TBA      Holy Cross (Ind)"

Holy Cross has the game on their schedule listed as November 28.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on August 09, 2011, 08:27:31 PM

i'd check a campus calendar before getting too excited. the university has a ridiculous tendency to start spring break in february...  :crazy: god forbid they should push it back a week the start the first week in march like at least some other schools. i wouldn't be surprised at all if that's the last saturday in february and the first day of spring break.

wh

Quote from: vuweathernerd on August 10, 2011, 01:34:42 AM

i'd check a campus calendar before getting too excited. the university has a ridiculous tendency to start spring break in february...  :crazy: god forbid they should push it back a week the start the first week in march like at least some other schools. i wouldn't be surprised at all if that's the last saturday in february and the first day of spring break.

It appears that school will still be in session:

http://www.valpo.edu/reslife/

vu84v2

If this home schedule is true, my opinion is that the non-conference home schedule is pretty mediocre.  Only one really interesting game (Oakland), and that is certainly not a marquee opponent.  I realize last year was an outstanding schedule and that the switch from home to away for the bracketbuster is very impacting, but it would be much better to see another strong mid-major in November or December.

The other unfortunate thing is that two of the nine conference games are during the week between Christmas and New Years.  So when you break it down, the number of good games while school is in session is seven (since the Oakland game is Dec. 17th) and the first good game is Jan. 12th.  Far more difficult to build excitement on campus with this home schedule.

agibson

I was going to point to the 2K Sports Classic as a potential source of a good game or two, maybe even a good mid-major match-up.

But, the first day of that event is the last day of classes before Valpo's week-long Thanksgiving break...

valpomarketingguy

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 10, 2011, 09:41:14 AM
If this home schedule is true, my opinion is that the non-conference home schedule is pretty mediocre.  Only one really interesting game (Oakland), and that is certainly not a marquee opponent.  I realize last year was an outstanding schedule and that the switch from home to away for the bracketbuster is very impacting, but it would be much better to see another strong mid-major in November or December.

The other unfortunate thing is that two of the nine conference games are during the week between Christmas and New Years.  So when you break it down, the number of good games while school is in session is seven (since the Oakland game is Dec. 17th) and the first good game is Jan. 12th.  Far more difficult to build excitement on campus with this home schedule.

I will respectfully disagree with your assessment of the schedule as a "mediocre" one.  I would hope your opinion changes once you see the 3 opponents coming in as part of the 2K Sports Classic.  That field includes two teams that played in the postseason last year (one NCAA team and one CBI team, both with RPIs in the top 125).  I believe that this schedule, comprised of 17 home games, is one of the best we've had in the last 5 or 6 years.  For one, the home games are a big boost to the team and take an investment on the part of the University to pull off.  Second, although it lacks a "big name" school, there are two NCAA teams from last year on the non-con schedule and only one non-DI regular season game.  As a whole, I think this schedule stacks up well with any we've put together since 2003-04 when USF, Cincy, Indiana St., Milwaukee, and Loyola visited the ARC and is similar to any you'll see from other schools in our conference this year.

With all that said, I look forward to seeing many of you at the games this fall/winter and am looking forward to another exciting year of Valpo Basketball! 

wh

Quote from: valpomarketingguy on August 10, 2011, 04:15:56 PM
If this home schedule is true, my opinion is that the non-conference home schedule is pretty mediocre.  Only one really interesting game (Oakland), and that is certainly not a marquee opponent.  I realize last year was an outstanding schedule and that the switch from home to away for the bracketbuster is very impacting, but it would be much better to see another strong mid-major in November or December.

I will respectfully disagree with your assessment of the schedule as a "mediocre" one.  I would hope your opinion changes once you see the 3 opponents coming in as part of the 2K Sports Classic.  That field includes two teams that played in the postseason last year (one NCAA team and one CBI team, both with RPIs in the top 125).  I believe that this schedule, comprised of 17 home games, is one of the best we've had in the last 5 or 6 years.  For one, the home games are a big boost to the team and take an investment on the part of the University to pull off.  Second, although it lacks a "big name" school, there are two NCAA teams from last year on the non-con schedule and only one non-DI regular season game.  As a whole, I think this schedule stacks up well with any we've put together since 2003-04 when USF, Cincy, Indiana St., Milwaukee, and Loyola visited the ARC and is similar to any you'll see from other schools in our conference this year.

With all that said, I look forward to seeing many of you at the games this fall/winter and am looking forward to another exciting year of Valpo Basketball! 

This is exactly the type of schedule many of us have been saying we want for a long time now - competitive games - both home and away - against good mid-majors as opposed to slaughters on the road to Top 10 Majors mixed in with meaningless home games against non - D-1 teams.  Personally I am very happy.  3 consecutive days of basketball against good MM opponents at the ARC - what could be better?  Add Bowling Green and Oakland to the mix, and I am one happy season ticket holder!

valpomarketingguy

Quote from: wh on August 10, 2011, 05:29:03 PM

This is exactly the type of schedule many of us have been saying we want for a long time now - competitive games - both home and away - against good mid-majors as opposed to slaughters on the road to Top 10 Majors mixed in with meaningless home games against non - D-1 teams.  Personally I am very happy.  3 consecutive days of basketball against good MM opponents at the ARC - what could be better?  Add Bowling Green and Oakland to the mix, and I am one happy season ticket holder!

That's the spirit WH!  I love hearing this response and wish everyone else will get on board!  The opportunity to host the sub-regional is great for our team and the University and the group of teams is certainly better than what we saw the last two years when we were on the road:

2009-10 :
@ Georgia Southern (RPI 288)
vs. Troy (RPI 109)
vs. Arkansas-Fort Smith (RPI N/A-Non-DI)

2008-09 Paradise Jam:
vs. San Diego (RPI 193)
vs. Iona (RPI 213)
vs. La Salle (RPI 112) 

vuweathernerd

Quote from: wh on August 10, 2011, 06:47:04 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on August 10, 2011, 01:34:42 AM

It appears that school will still be in session:

http://www.valpo.edu/reslife/

wow - somebody finally had the intelligence to accept that spring break has been starting to early and to actually do something about it.  :thumbsup:  :clap:

rlh

Quote from: valpomarketingguy on August 10, 2011, 05:41:59 PM
If this home schedule is true, my opinion is that the non-conference home schedule is pretty mediocre.  Only one really interesting game (Oakland), and that is certainly not a marquee opponent.  I realize last year was an outstanding schedule and that the switch from home to away for the bracketbuster is very impacting, but it would be much better to see another strong mid-major in November or December.

The other unfortunate thing is that two of the nine conference games are during the week between Christmas and New Years.  So when you break it down, the number of good games while school is in session is seven (since the Oakland game is Dec. 17th) and the first good game is Jan. 12th.  Far more difficult to build excitement on campus with this home schedule.

I will respectfully disagree with your assessment of the schedule as a "mediocre" one.  I would hope your opinion changes once you see the 3 opponents coming in as part of the 2K Sports Classic.  That field includes two teams that played in the postseason last year (one NCAA team and one CBI team, both with RPIs in the top 125).  I believe that this schedule, comprised of 17 home games, is one of the best we've had in the last 5 or 6 years.  For one, the home games are a big boost to the team and take an investment on the part of the University to pull off.  Second, although it lacks a "big name" school, there are two NCAA teams from last year on the non-con schedule and only one non-DI regular season game.  As a whole, I think this schedule stacks up well with any we've put together since 2003-04 when USF, Cincy, Indiana St., Milwaukee, and Loyola visited the ARC and is similar to any you'll see from other schools in our conference this year.

This is exactly the type of schedule many of us have been saying we want for a long time now - competitive games - both home and away - against good mid-majors as opposed to slaughters on the road to Top 10 Majors mixed in with meaningless home games against non - D-1 teams.  Personally I am very happy.  3 consecutive days of basketball against good MM opponents at the ARC - what could be better?  Add Bowling Green and Oakland to the mix, and I am one happy season ticket holder!

That's the spirit WH!  I love hearing this response and wish everyone else will get on board!  The opportunity to host the sub-regional is great for our team and the University and the group of teams is certainly better than what we saw the last two years when we were on the road:

2009-10 :
vs. Troy (RPI 109)

2008-09 Paradise Jam:
vs. San Diego (RPI 193)
vs. Iona (RPI 213)
vs. La Salle (RPI 112)  
Don't worry about the naysayers....there are some here who will never be satisfied....this is exactly what most have been asking for....so kudos

historyman

That's the spirit WH!  I love hearing this response and wish everyone else will get on board!  The opportunity to host the sub-regional is great for our team and the University and the group of teams is certainly better than what we saw the last two years when we were on the road:

2009-10 :
vs. Troy (RPI 109)

2008-09 Paradise Jam:
vs. San Diego (RPI 193)
vs. Iona (RPI 213)
vs. La Salle (RPI 112) 

I find it interesting that when those previous schedules came out I'm sure you were saying that the tournaments were a "jewel" on those schedules. Now you pretty much say that they were "of poor quality."

valpomarketingguy

Quote from: historyman on August 11, 2011, 09:24:41 AM

2009-10 :
vs. Troy (RPI 109)

2008-09 Paradise Jam:
vs. San Diego (RPI 193)
vs. Iona (RPI 213)
vs. La Salle (RPI 112) 

I find it interesting that when those previous schedules came out I'm sure you were saying that the tournaments were a "jewel" on those schedules. Now you pretty much say that they were "of poor quality."

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, but I didn't work for Valpo either of the two years I referenced.  All I did was present some facts backing up my argument that I believe this year's home schedule is one of the best we've put together in recent memory.  Do you disagree?  If you do, I'd be happy to listen to your reasoning and try to understand your point of view.

historyman

Quote from: valpomarketingguy on August 11, 2011, 10:24:45 AM
Quote from: historyman on August 11, 2011, 09:24:41 AM

2009-10 :
vs. Troy (RPI 109)

2008-09 Paradise Jam:
vs. San Diego (RPI 193)
vs. Iona (RPI 213)
vs. La Salle (RPI 112) 

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, but I didn't work for Valpo either of the two years I referenced.  All I did was present some facts backing up my argument that I believe this year's home schedule is one of the best we've put together in recent memory.  Do you disagree?  If you do, I'd be happy to listen to your reasoning and try to understand your point of view.

No, I agree the schedule is better. I found it "interesting" that you noticed the "poor quality" of previous years' schedules to make your point. You certainly can't be held accountable for schedules that you were not part of promoting.

valporun

The other unfortunate thing is that two of the nine conference games are during the week between Christmas and New Years.  So when you break it down, the number of good games while school is in session is seven (since the Oakland game is Dec. 17th) and the first good game is Jan. 12th.  Far more difficult to build excitement on campus with this home schedule.

I will respectfully disagree with your assessment of the schedule as a "mediocre" one.  I would hope your opinion changes once you see the 3 opponents coming in as part of the 2K Sports Classic.  That field includes two teams that played in the postseason last year (one NCAA team and one CBI team, both with RPIs in the top 125).  I believe that this schedule, comprised of 17 home games, is one of the best we've had in the last 5 or 6 years.  For one, the home games are a big boost to the team and take an investment on the part of the University to pull off.  Second, although it lacks a "big name" school, there are two NCAA teams from last year on the non-con schedule and only one non-DI regular season game.  As a whole, I think this schedule stacks up well with any we've put together since 2003-04 when USF, Cincy, Indiana St., Milwaukee, and Loyola visited the ARC and is similar to any you'll see from other schools in our conference this year.

This is exactly the type of schedule many of us have been saying we want for a long time now - competitive games - both home and away - against good mid-majors as opposed to slaughters on the road to Top 10 Majors mixed in with meaningless home games against non - D-1 teams.  Personally I am very happy.  3 consecutive days of basketball against good MM opponents at the ARC - what could be better?  Add Bowling Green and Oakland to the mix, and I am one happy season ticket holder!

That's the spirit WH!  I love hearing this response and wish everyone else will get on board!  The opportunity to host the sub-regional is great for our team and the University and the group of teams is certainly better than what we saw the last two years when we were on the road:

2009-10 :
vs. Troy (RPI 109)

2008-09 Paradise Jam:
vs. San Diego (RPI 193)
vs. Iona (RPI 213)
vs. La Salle (RPI 112)  

I think the two seasons you referenced above were years where the roster wasn't as experienced as what we had in 2010-2011. Those tournaments/games were "jewels" because we could use these games as confidence builders and getting experience playing together in winnable games.
Yes, the "guarantee games" were good for overall exposure and alumni donations, but they didn't help with building confidence in the team, especially when we were being taken to task by 30-40 points.
The lack of non-conference home games is a factor in Bracketbuster setups of home-and-away rematches, tourneys, and having available dates that opponents could come in, or didn't conflict with finals week, where we traditionally don't have a home game after Saturday reading day and Friday night end of the semester.
I'll want to see the rest of the schedule before I can really have a balanced opinion of how this scheduling factors into what our team can do.

vu84v2

I had definitely assumed that the regional Valparaiso is hosting in the 2k tournament will have three teams that finished in the middle or bottom of a smaller conference (or even non-Division 1).  If what the marketing guy is saying is true and these are indeed better teams, then my opinion will change somewhat.  However, I should point out that Valparaiso has a full week off for Thanksgiving and both of those games (Nov. 18th and 20th) will have minimal student attendance because of Thanksgiving break.

Valparaiso serves three different fan segments:  students, alumni, and local.  However, it is the students that generate most of the enthusiasm.  It is this enthusiasm combined with good opponents that draws the other two (certainly the alums).  If you think alums come out for non D1 or low D1 opponents, you are kidding yourself.

So lets make this comparison:

(Assume that all Horizon League games are quality - result of a great move)

2010-2011:  Two quality non-conference games all when school was in session (Purdue, Missouri State plus all nine conference games while school was in session.  Total:  11
2011-2012:  No quality non-conference games when school is in session plus only seven conference games when school is in session.  Total 7.

That dropoff of four is pretty significant and hence my mediocre rating compared to last year which, in my opinion, was very very good.  Some here know me and know that I am a good longtime fan - so please know that I only make these comments as a strong fan and committed alum.

vu72

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 12, 2011, 12:19:58 PM
I had definitely assumed that the regional Valparaiso is hosting in the 2k tournament will have three teams that finished in the middle or bottom of a smaller conference (or even non-Division 1).  If what the marketing guy is saying is true and these are indeed better teams, then my opinion will change somewhat.  However, I should point out that Valparaiso has a full week off for Thanksgiving and both of those games (Nov. 18th and 20th) will have minimal student attendance because of Thanksgiving break.

Valparaiso serves three different fan segments:  students, alumni, and local.  However, it is the students that generate most of the enthusiasm.  It is this enthusiasm combined with good opponents that draws the other two (certainly the alums).  If you think alums come out for non D1 or low D1 opponents, you are kidding yourself.

2010-2011:  Two quality non-conference games all when school was in session (Purdue, Missouri State plus all nine conference games while school was in session.  Total:  11
2011-2012:  No quality non-conference games when school is in session plus only seven conference games when school is in session.  Total 7.

That dropoff of four is pretty significant and hence my mediocre rating compared to last year which, in my opinion, was very very good.  Some here know me and know that I am a good longtime fan - so please know that I only make these comments as a strong fan and committed alum.

I guess your definition of "quality" needs some analysis.  So Bowling Green, Oakland, Iona or Ball State don't qualify?  You are dreaming if you expect only the top of the Valley or Big Ten teams to come to the ARC on a regular basis.

All of the teams I mentioned have good name recognition and or local ties.  If we can schedule the Northern Illinois', Oaklands, IUPUIs or Evansvilles of the world on a regular basis, I think the fans should be happy and, we can expect to beat all of them! (well, almost all)  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

I wish more alums like you were committed

Uhhhhhh, invested in the basketball team.

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu72 on August 12, 2011, 02:29:25 PM

I guess your definition of "quality" needs some analysis.  So Bowling Green, Oakland, Iona or Ball State don't qualify?  You are dreaming if you expect only the top of the Valley or Big Ten teams to come to the ARC on a regular basis.

All of the teams I mentioned have good name recognition and or local ties.  If we can schedule the Northern Illinois', Oaklands, IUPUIs or Evansvilles of the world on a regular basis, I think the fans should be happy and, we can expect to beat all of them! (well, almost all)  ;)

I agree with both of you, if that's possible? I think there's validity each perspective. No, there aren't any games on the schedule (other than Butler) where an average fan can say...yep, I really want go go to that game (ie Purdue, Notre Dame). However, the opponents on the schedule are good teams and they don't have many local YMCA teams on the schedule anymore either.

It's always going to be a disappointing schedule to me unless you can get a BCS team to come here (or the UC). Not looking for a Duke/North Carolina/Ohio State slaughtering, but maybe an Iowa or DePaul? Iona is the better team, but from a fans perspective it's more fun to watch Valpo beat a "name" school.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vufan75

Valpo plays at Northern Illinois in DeKalb on Tuesday, December 20th according to the NIU men's basketball schedule.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/niu/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2011-12/schedule/schedule.pdf

zvillehaze

I had definitely assumed that the regional Valparaiso is hosting in the 2k tournament will have three teams that finished in the middle or bottom of a smaller conference (or even non-Division 1). 

Potential opponents (and last year RPI) in the 2K event include Lehigh (205), William & Mary (228) and Duquesne (106).  There will be four more potentials once the schedules for Texas A&M and Miss. State are released.

With the schedules ready to be released, I assume someone at Valpo already knows the teams.

valpo64

Akron and Duquesne are 2 of the teams in the tourney for sure...the other team has not yet been determined