• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Clay Yeo(2013)-Triton commits to Valpo

Started by hoopfan22, August 27, 2011, 04:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoopfan22

Just saw this on Twitter. who is he? Class A school?

vuweathernerd

yeah, i'm sure pretty sure triton is class a. anybody know anything about him?

Crusader03

6'5" shooting guard, can get to the rim, pretty good shooter, led his team last year.  Ranked 17th in the Indy Star's 2013 rankings.

Weathernerd, next time you can do the Googling?  You owe me one

historyman

I didn't see the class A State championship game and unless Valpo or Wheeler are in it I usually don't pay much attention although I do remember for some reason that Triton HS lost the class A state championship game to Indianapolis Metropolitan (which is one of the new private schools that are starting to dominate their classes in athletics) by 4 points 59-55 this past March in Indy. That is about all I can remember at this time.

valpopal

Quote from: historyman on August 27, 2011, 05:16:27 PM
I didn't see the class A State championship game and unless Valpo or Wheeler are in it I usually don't pay much attention although I do remember for some reason that Triton HS lost the class A state championship game to Indianapolis Metropolitan (which is one of the new private schools that are starting to dominate their classes in athletics) by 4 points 59-55 this past March in Indy. That is about all I can remember at this time.

Clay Yeo was a teammate of Griffyn Carpenter, who will likely be a walk-on for Valpo. A good description of the state championship and Yeo's outstanding performance:

http://www.indyhshoops.com/index.php/tag/clay-yeo/

vu72

Ranked no. 23 on this site.  Our guy Davidson is ranked 14. Two top 25 guys in a loaded class...hmn...sounds pretty good!

http://indianarecruitguide.blogspot.com/2011/05/class-of-2013-rankings.html
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Crusader03 on August 27, 2011, 05:13:23 PM
6'5" shooting guard, can get to the rim, pretty good shooter, led his team last year.  Ranked 17th in the Indy Star's 2013 rankings.

Weathernerd, next time you can do the Googling?  You owe me one

woops. i was thinking of tipton... but sure thing 03.

humbleopinion

I think it's great that Valpo is finding kids in Class A schools.  AAU teams provide them with exposure and competition, but you have to figure the adjustment to Div I will be a little tougher for kids who play teams form smaller schools which rarely have more than one quality player on the squad.
Now let's turn verbals into NLI's.
Beamin' Beacons

milanmiracle

I'd hardly classify Indy Met as a "private school". They're a charter school for what I would call "at risk" kids. Over 70% qualify for free lunch.

http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/SEARCH/snapshot.cfm?schl=5664

I'll say this, I was at the championship game and they certainly had the support of the students at the school. It was impressive to see that many fans come out and support what is otherwise a new school.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

wh

Quote from: milanmiracle on August 30, 2011, 09:30:33 PM

I'd hardly classify Indy Met as a "private school". They're a charter school for what I would call "at risk" kids. Over 70% qualify for free lunch.

http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/SEARCH/snapshot.cfm?schl=5664

I'll say this, I was at the championship game and they certainly had the support of the students at the school. It was impressive to see that many fans come out and support what is otherwise a new school.

Since you were at the game the obvious question is what was your impression of Yeo?

Valpo89

I saw Triton play in the semistate at Lafayette and I watched some of the state championship game on TV. He's a good player. He's really thin, but he's only going to be a junior so I'm sure he's probably put on some muscle over the summer and will only get better before he makes it to college. He's a very good free throw shooter, I believe. Just a solid all-around player who, at 6-5, is going to be a star playing 1A basketball. There's some risk-reward involved here in offering so early, I think. The risk is that he doesn't get any better and no one else wants him. The reward is if he does improve, bigger schools go after him but are too late, and maybe he'll even grow another 2-3 inches. I think it's the way Valpo has to recruit.

FWalum

Had a similar situation here in Fort Wayne with Austin Hatch from A1 Canterbury giving Michigan a verbal the summer before his Junior year.  Unfortunately he will probably never be able to take advantage of the Michigan scholarship. Michigan Recruit Recovering from Plane Crash

In the past I have been pretty leery of players coming out of 1A programs.  It will be interesting to see if Russell Byrd from 1A Blackhawk Christian ever plays significant minutes for Michigan State.  Lets hope that Yeo continues to develop.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: Valpo89 on August 31, 2011, 09:17:56 AM
I saw Triton play in the semistate at Lafayette and I watched some of the state championship game on TV. He's a good player. He's really thin, but he's only going to be a junior so I'm sure he's probably put on some muscle over the summer and will only get better before he makes it to college. He's a very good free throw shooter, I believe. Just a solid all-around player who, at 6-5, is going to be a star playing 1A basketball. There's some risk-reward involved here in offering so early, I think. The risk is that he doesn't get any better and no one else wants him. The reward is if he does improve, bigger schools go after him but are too late, and maybe he'll even grow another 2-3 inches. I think it's the way Valpo has to recruit.

Anybody remember Bryce as a freshman?  How about Vucic?  At 16 or 17 he could well grow and will certainly add 20 lbs before he shows up.  If he does grow a couple more inches and keeps his guard skills, can anyone say Gordon Hayward?????   :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015