• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2021

Started by FWalum, March 15, 2018, 08:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Still using that NIT picture from when we were in a different conference. We really need a good year to create new memories and a new go to image.

valpo64

Have we offered C Pallesse?

wh

M

Keon Thompson put up 52/18/6 in last nights game.

wh

Quote from: M on January 24, 2020, 10:17:39 PM
Keon Thompson put up 52/18/6 in last nights game.

Javon and Donovan were IL 1st team all-state players who decided Valpo was the right fit for them. That would have never happened had they grown up in Lake County IN. Thomas will never select Valpo unless he bombs somewhere else first. That's just the way it is in NWI. I didn't even bother reading the article in the paper.

M

We are all well aware of your opinion on the region athletes.

Keon Thompson is a killer and hopefully Valpo can keep him home.

wh

Quote from: M on January 25, 2020, 06:55:13 PM
We are all well aware of your opinion on the region athletes.

Keon Thompson is a killer and hopefully Valpo can keep him home.

FYI earlier this week his coach told a relative of mine (IU grad/Valpo fan) that he expects him to receive several offers from major programs. In other words, saying without saying don't hold your breath.  BTW I love Region athletes. It's the star-struck parents, and insecure AAU and high school coaches that are looking to bask in the glory of their players' achievements.

M

As well he should. Just like Sasha and  just like Brandon he will probably play his way to bigger things.

FYI I also have a very close connection to his hs coach. Regardless, he's a Valpo recruit and I'll keep posting his successes or struggles to this recruit page until he commits elsewhere.

VUGrad1314

He pinned his Ball State offer from over a year ago. If I had to guess he's going there.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 23, 2020, 05:52:29 AM
He pinned his Ball State offer from over a year ago. If I had to guess he's going there.

It's nearly impossible to guess what a kid and his family will decide. Ball State does seem like they are recruiting him heavily. Valpo has been recruiting him for a while and staff loves him. He would be a great fit from a positional need and team culture. I really hope he chooses to play his college ball at Valpo.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2020, 10:20:07 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 23, 2020, 05:52:29 AMHe pinned his Ball State offer from over a year ago. If I had to guess he's going there.
It's nearly impossible to guess what a kid and his family will decide. Ball State does seem like they are recruiting him heavily. Valpo has been recruiting him for a while and staff loves him. He would be a great fit from a positional need and team culture. I really hope he chooses to play his college ball at Valpo.

Should we consider giving an opportunity to his brother? Do you think that would help us land him?

NativeCheesehead

Offer his brother? Or as we call it: The Oppland Maneuver

Valpo89

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 23, 2020, 02:23:30 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2020, 10:20:07 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 23, 2020, 05:52:29 AMHe pinned his Ball State offer from over a year ago. If I had to guess he's going there.

Should we consider giving an opportunity to his brother? Do you think that would help us land him?
No way. His brother isn't that good.

VU2014

Chris Mantis is a player. Really hope he lands at Valpo.

My 2021 recruiting class wish list have two Region guys: Chris Mantis and Keon Thompson

https://twitter.com/AnnetteHuseman/status/1233981918980562945?s=20
https://twitter.com/AnnetteHuseman/status/1233981993635000321?s=20

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on February 29, 2020, 11:15:25 PM

My 2021 recruiting class wish list have two Region guys: Chris Mantis and Keon Thompson

Can he shoot from deep?  We need shooters and now!

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 29, 2020, 11:45:03 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 29, 2020, 11:15:25 PM

Can he shoot from deep?  We need shooters and now!

over 40% from 3 this season

M

Keon was offered by Ball State recently.

wh

Quote from: M on April 08, 2020, 11:18:30 AM
Keon was offered by Ball State recently.

According to verbal commits, he only has 4 mid major offers - Ball State, New Orleans, Miami (Ohio) and Valpo. He's also listed as a 2-star. Probably 3 months ago my nephew mentioned that someone in Mville's bb program told him that Thompson's recruiting would move well past where Valpo could compete. Yet, he has no Major offers and only a sprinkling of Mid offers, including only 3 in the entire Midwest (2 from the MAC and only us from the MVC). I've heard and read good things about him, but that's a pretty vanilla recruiting resume for someone who just completed their junior season.

Edit: Apparently, he has received a 2nd offer this afternoon - Cleveland State. That's a big jump in 1 day from 3 to 5.  Could be the beginning of more to come - who knows?

FWalum

Quote from: wh on April 08, 2020, 03:19:44 PMProbably 3 months ago my nephew mentioned that someone in Mville's bb program told him that Thompson's recruiting would move well past where Valpo could compete.
Getting tired of hearing that about prospects around the area and state.  MVC will be a top 10 conference next year and VU should be in the top 100 NET. This might have been true in the Mid Con, Horizon days, but there are very few players in the state that should be above Valpo's reach and it is about time prospects and coaches saw the light. If we can get All State First Team players from Illinois we certainly should be able to get them from Indiana. Too many of these kids also listen to all of these AAU basketball "gurus" feeding them a line of bull. It will be interesting to see what happens this summer with what should be a drastically reduced AAU schedule.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpower

Quote from: FWalum on April 08, 2020, 07:46:56 PM
Quote from: wh on April 08, 2020, 03:19:44 PMProbably 3 months ago my nephew mentioned that someone in Mville's bb program told him that Thompson's recruiting would move well past where Valpo could compete.
Getting tired of hearing that about prospects around the area and state.
Me too, but maybe the nephew meant Maravilla's bb program?  ;)

M

Drake trying to poach another region standout...offered Keon. Stay away! We saw him first!

VUGrad1314

The MVC only took us as a mission of mercy to help Drake's program so that they could gain access into the hoops hotbed that is NWI.  ;D