• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2021

Started by FWalum, March 15, 2018, 08:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieCabot

[tweet]1258165109823807494[/tweet]

Posted On: 05/5/20 6:39 PM

Although we're still in the extended period due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the recruitment of Brookfield Central 2021 wing/forward David Joplin
is starting to heat up. Holding seven scholarship offers, Joplin currently has three sticking out.

"I would say for a top three, Valparaiso, Georgetown, and Butler," Joplin told Prep Hoops Wisconsin.

Butler was the most recent to pull the trigger on Joplin. The Bulldogs, who hosted the 6-foot-7 forward on Feb. 1, came in with an offer earlier this week.

"I was excited for that offer. I've been expecting it for a while now," Joplin said. "They're a  really good team. I'm definitely considering them.  They have a winning culture and I like the way they develop players. Especially at my position, they've had guys that have gone to the NBA and they've always had a good team."

Joplin personally spoke with Butler head coach LaVall Jordan.

"He likes my versatility," Joplin explained. "They're looking for a guy who can do multiple things. They think I'm the perfect guy for that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf9cypa6zwA

Georgetown and head coach Patrick Ewing offered Joplin in February.

"The history of the program is exciting," he said. "You get a chance to play

Wisconsin All Access Pass
Subscribe to Prep Hoops Wisconsin to get access to all premium articles and prospect rankings for as little as $2 per week!

IrishDawg

Butler's a recent offer, but they've been on him for awhile.  From what we know, it's going to be awhile before he commits, so his top 3 right now could change a lot by the time he commits.

wh

Introducing versatile forward David Joplin

https://www.rivals.com/news/introducing-versatile-forward-david-joplin

21PPG, 50% FG, 38% 3PTFG

I like what I see. Could be the beginning of another big recruiting year.

VUGrad1314

I don't see us getting him. He's got some big offers already and his recruiting is just beginning to pick up. Would be great though.

wh

Valpo is not just a small name on a large list, it's one of his top 3 choices to date. He could very easily decide to go the Javon route.  Go where you have a good chance to play and possibly staR early on. Then decide whether to move up, especially if going forward players no longer have to sit out. After all, he's a 3-star, not a 4 or 5. He could well land at a big program And scratch for playing time in the early years.

vu72

Based on his comments it seems Valpo has been on him probably longer than anyone.  Maybe the first?  Who knows.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

I really like that we have successfully "marked our territory," first in Canada and more recently in Wisconsin. Matt and staff repeatedly are demonstrating great recruiting versatility and creativity.

VUBBFan

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUBBFan on May 18, 2020, 07:14:10 PM
One more offer for 2021.

https://twitter.com/iamty_2/status/1262502292772831232

https://twitter.com/iamty_2/status/1250570158625742851

Pretty nit picky, but assuming Valpo is like most other schools in that they send these pics to players to use in their social media announcements, seems odd to focus on a guy (JFL) who just transferred out.  Slightly less strange to use a pic from the game against St. Mary's when Valpo was still in the Horizon League too.

NativeCheesehead

The St Mary's pic makes sense. It's the last time our gym was full.

VUGrad1314

VU2014

If AAU gets cancelled this summer due to the pandemic, do you think some recruits won't get as scouted as they should be? In affect causing kids to get under-recruited?

Example: Keon Thompson (Merrillville) was suppose to play with Meanstreets this summer. Will that dampen his recruitment from P5s?

I remember the staff was in on Admiral Schofield (former Tennessee star) then he plays in AAU one summer and he blows up. There are countless examples of gem recruits like this.

Could AAU being cancelled be a good thing for Mid-Majors from a recruiting standpoint? Major P5s rely heavily on these AAU tourneys for player evaluations.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on May 25, 2020, 11:20:58 AM
If AAU gets cancelled this summer due to the pandemic, do you think some recruits won't get as scouted as they should be? In affect causing kids to get under-recruited?

Example: Keon Thompson (Merrillville) was suppose to play with Meanstreets this summer. Will that dampen his recruitment from P5s?

I remember the staff was in on Admiral Schofield (former Tennessee star) then he plays in AAU one summer and he blows up. There are countless examples of gem recruits like this.

Could AAU being cancelled be a good thing for Mid-Majors from a recruiting standpoint? Major P5s rely heavily on these AAU tourneys for player evaluations.

It'll be good from the standpoint that late bloomers won't get picked up on as they may have in previous years.  But there's always the issue of keeping the kids that do turn into stars, especially once the transfer waiver is eventually passed.

VUGrad1314

It won't make that much of a difference. If they're good enough or meant to be at a P5\BE program, they will find their way there. It may take a year or two longer because of this, but they will find their way to that level if the recruit and a school at that level want it to be so.

VU2014

I'm happy that Region kids are getting opportunities to play D1 ball but I'd be lying if I wasn't annoyed they were are seemingly all playing for Drake.

It's a recruiting advantage for home turf. They are in on guys like Keon Thompson and wouldn't shock me if they'll be recruiting Chris Mantis.

https://twitter.com/thetankhemp6k/status/1265713580286107654?s=21

valpotx

For kids that want to get out of the area, which most college kids want to do, Drake is a great alternative to Valpo.  Very similar academic profiles, further away from home, but still in the MVC.
"Don't mess with Texas"

NotBryceDrew

Hemphill played one season at GB and played 1 game for 11 minutes prior to that he was at Juco. I think this was a good pass all around for us not to worried that he's playing for Drake.

bbtds

Interesting that the best thing that might have happened to Drake MBB was Valpo joining the MVC. It hasn't mattered who the coach is Drake has struck a gold vein of MBB talent in NWI since Valpo was added to the MVC.

VUGrad1314

It's probably for the same reasons valpotx stated. I think his point is very astute.

VU2014

Special kid right our backyard. Fingers crossed 🤞 he stays in the Region to play his college ball.

https://twitter.com/_chrismantis/status/1270166455636627461?s=21

valpo64

Have we already offered?

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on June 08, 2020, 08:37:23 PM
Special kid right our backyard. Fingers crossed 🤞 he stays in the Region to play his college ball.

https://twitter.com/_chrismantis/status/1270166455636627461?s=21

I'll be interested in seeing how Yaklich ends up doing at UIC, if only because he's got 2 former Butler Bulldogs (Willie Veasley and Khyle Marshall) on his staff.

In terms of Mantis, I'd guess he won't be too far from home given his best offers right now are Valpo, Ball State and Toledo.