• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2021

Started by FWalum, March 15, 2018, 08:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I hope that we keep the Canadian and Scandinavian pipelines going long-term, in addition to the Midwest.  The more kids that are used to cold weather, the better for our program lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: sliman on September 22, 2020, 11:38:55 AMDarius' 6-9 teammate headed to Southern Illinois.  Other teammates to Oklahoma State and Seton Hall.  Numerous other signees off his team including to Fort Wayne, Youngstown and Northeastern.

That's impressive. Those aren't nothing schools from nothing leagues. I know we crapped on Youngstown State a lot when we were in the HL but they have gotten a lot better the past year or two. I'm also very interested to see how Fort Wayne will do in a more geographically friendly league with less travel expenditure.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on August 30, 2020, 07:17:08 PMOddly Valparaiso is the only one without a quote describing the appeal to the School.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/08/30/2021-christopher-mantis-is-down-to-six/

Christopher Mantis, who is a 2021 prospect is down to six programs.
Valparaiso, Ball State, Drake, Appalachian State, Illinois-Chicago, and Purdue Fort-Wayne. all made his list.
Mantis, the 6'7 player who attends Lowell (IN) broke down his top six with ZAGSBLOG.
Drake: "I like them because I've been around them for so long and they deal with pros and have produced many pros. They also have a great play style as well."
Ball State: "I like Ball State because they have a play style the fits with what I do best. They would allow me to score at all 3 levels. They also produce pros."
Drake: "I like Drake because many guys from this region have come out of there and have had great careers during college. They didn't disappoint the region."
Appalachian State: "I like them because of the way they approach things. They play hard and they play well. Their relationship between each other is unmatched."

My thought after re-reading this is that there was a typo. Drake is listed twice in the quote section. Also each quote is listed in the order that the schools are listed except for Valpo. The first quote "I like them because I've been around them for so long" is not something a kid from Lowell, IN would say about Drake normally. I'm pretty sure the first quote is about Valpo and not Drake. The second quote about Drake seems to fit much better. "I like Drake because many guys from this region have come out of there"

wh

Quote from: bbtds on September 24, 2020, 08:53:19 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on August 30, 2020, 07:17:08 PMOddly Valparaiso is the only one without a quote describing the appeal to the School.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/08/30/2021-christopher-mantis-is-down-to-six/

Christopher Mantis, who is a 2021 prospect is down to six programs.
Valparaiso, Ball State, Drake, Appalachian State, Illinois-Chicago, and Purdue Fort-Wayne. all made his list.
Mantis, the 6'7 player who attends Lowell (IN) broke down his top six with ZAGSBLOG.
Drake: "I like them because I've been around them for so long and they deal with pros and have produced many pros. They also have a great play style as well."
Ball State: "I like Ball State because they have a play style the fits with what I do best. They would allow me to score at all 3 levels. They also produce pros."
Drake: "I like Drake because many guys from this region have come out of there and have had great careers during college. They didn't disappoint the region."
Appalachian State: "I like them because of the way they approach things. They play hard and they play well. Their relationship between each other is unmatched."

My thought after re-reading this is that there was a typo. Drake is listed twice in the quote section. Also each quote is listed in the order that the schools are listed except for Valpo. The first quote "I like them because I've been around them for so long" is not something a kid from Lowell, IN would say about Drake normally. I'm pretty sure the first quote is about Valpo and not Drake. The second quote about Drake seems to fit much better. "I like Drake because many guys from this region have come out of there"

No need to guess. The article clearly says "Valparaiso.

valpopal

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on September 30, 2020, 01:44:35 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on August 22, 2020, 12:52:27 PM
Here's another offer for 2021.

https://twitter.com/treywoodyard3/status/1296221285089980423

Trey Woodyard commits to Valpo:

[tweet]1311372765904228352[/tweet]

247 Sports has him as the No. 9 prospect from Ohio and 59th ranks Small Forward in the Nation.  Another 6'6" shooter.  Does this mean we have given up or passed by Mantis?  I would think they want to add a big 6'8" on up with the last spot.

Trey is also a 4.0 student.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on September 30, 2020, 03:42:01 PM
Quote from: valpopal on September 30, 2020, 01:44:35 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on August 22, 2020, 12:52:27 PM
Here's another offer for 2021.

https://twitter.com/treywoodyard3/status/1296221285089980423

Trey Woodyard commits to Valpo:

[tweet]1311372765904228352[/tweet]

247 Sports has him as the No. 9 prospect from Ohio and 59th ranks Small Forward in the Nation.  Another 6'6" shooter.  Does this mean we have given up or passed by Mantis?  I would think they want to add a big 6'8" on up with the last spot.

Trey is also a 4.0 student.

VU72, I was wondering the same thing about Chris Mantis. I hope not, because I think these two could play together. Chris could play many positions and in multiple different roles.

But I'm curious how this will effect his recruitment. Hopefully we're still in on his recruitment. He's a good good kid and great player from our backyard.

GoVU

Small ball is the way of the future! After watching Trey's highlights, I was really impressed by his ability to get down and physical in the paint. Can't teach that.

VUGrad1314

Feels like a good class taking shape for Valpo. I wonder who the final commit of the class will be.

NotBryceDrew

I don't think we will have to wait to long to find out.

VU2014

I think UIC has a real shot at landing Chris Mantis. But I think his recruitment is still open but I'm really curious how things will shake out with us just landing a SF commit. Not doubt Chris is certainly versatile enough to get minutes and can play with multiple different roster combos but I'm wondering if it hurt our chances.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on October 01, 2020, 10:01:31 PM
I think UIC has a real shot at landing Chris Mantis. But I think his recruitment is still open but I'm really curious how things will shake out with us just landing a SF commit. Not doubt Chris is certainly versatile enough to get minutes and can play with multiple different roster combos but I'm wondering if it hurt our chances.

Or if it was indicative of our chances and we smartly pivoted to nab a capable player at his position while we still had the opportunity.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 02, 2020, 12:31:08 AM

Or if it was indicative of our chances and we smartly pivoted to nab a capable player at his position while we still had the opportunity.
[/b]

Or, perhaps, we really wanted Trey and if we couldn't get him then would go harder for Mantis.  Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder and basketball talent/fit is in the eye of the coach. Having said that, both guys are about the same size and play the same position.  247 Sports has Mantis as the #23 ranked player in Indiana and #72 ranked Small forward in the nation. On the other hand, 247 has Trey as the #9 ranked player in Ohio and #59 ranked Small forward in the nation. Would love to have a local kid so hopefully we get Mantis as well.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on October 02, 2020, 08:21:52 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 02, 2020, 12:31:08 AM

[/b]

Or, perhaps, we really wanted Trey and if we couldn't get him then would go harder for Mantis.  Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder and basketball talent/fit is in the eye of the coach. Having said that, both guys are about the same size and play the same position.  247 Sports has Mantis as the #23 ranked player in Indiana and #72 ranked Small forward in the nation. On the other hand, 247 has Trey as the #9 ranked player in Ohio and #59 ranked Small forward in the nation. Would love to have a local kid so hopefully we get Mantis as well.

FWIW Trey also scores higher on 247's scoring system - 86 vs. 80. I'm loving this pick.

VUGrad1314

Me too, What I am about to say is in no way meant to be a slight toward Mantis who I think is a really good player but I think we hold a great deal of bias toward him because he is a local player and we so badly want to see more local kids on the roster especially with Drake recruiting NWI so well lately. It really seems like if it's an either or situation we got the better player but I'd love to see both because Mantis is a great shooter. I'd also like to see a big though.

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 24, 2020, 01:50:04 AMI'm also very interested to see how Fort Wayne will do in a more geographically friendly league with less travel expenditure.

It's to bad this didn't happen 2 or 3 years ago, before John Konchar graduated.  Fort Wayne would have had a good chance to win the Horizon and get an NCAA berth during the years with Bryson Scott and Konchar on the roster.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

NotBryceDrew

Unless something drastically changes on our end which could happen, Mantis will not be the 4th commit.

Pgmado

Hearing that Valpo LOVES Woodyard. I don't believe that Valpo is an option for Mantis any longer.

bbtds

Quote from: Pgmado on October 02, 2020, 01:05:20 PM
Hearing that Valpo LOVES Woodyard. I don't believe that Valpo is an option for Mantis any longer.

Woodyard for president! (not as the Valpo President of course, just being enthusiastic!)

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

crusader05

who is left out there with offers if we think Mantis is off the table?

VU2014

Quote from: crusader05 on October 02, 2020, 02:52:01 PM
who is left out there with offers if we think Mantis is off the table?

The only other official offers we have outstanding are: Keon Thompson (PG - Merrillville) and Quimari Peterson (PG - Gary, IN).

I can't imagine either will take that last scholarship. Keon made it clear he wants more high major interest going to play his last year at a prep school. We already have two PG commits.

If I had to guess maybe red shirt or big man. Could potentially go a mystery recruit we don't know about.

VUGrad1314

I mean we have two PG commits so it's still possible to get two SF commits especially as versatile as Mantis appears to be. I'm very interested to see what route we go on the last one. I reiterate I would like a big man if I had my pick of who we would get.