• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Greg Tonagel

Started by tiny707, December 21, 2018, 08:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

If Lottich's agent got him any kind of a decent buyout after the last three years I'm going to ask him to negotiate my brother's next prenup.

valpo64

Let's combine the topics of the "Drew" and the "Tonagel", and maybe even throw in the "Darner."

tiny707

Current record is 6-1, 5-0 at home and a 5 game winning streak.

tjjvalpo

Tonagel probably awards playing time based on defense!

VUGrad1314

I know NAIA and D2 aren't remotely the same thing but we need to consider this as we evaluate the state of the program and the head coaching position: Indiana State lost a bunch of players to transfer and then lost its best player to injury after hiring a D2 coach and has now started the year 3-1 with victories over Green Bay and Old Dominion (Not great shakes as programs but not slouches either). The point is this: Indiana State has all the same excuses Lottich can use and is still doing much better than Lottich is despite Lottich having the advantage of having been at the helm of the program for many years by this point. Maybe we need to look at a guy like Tonagel who has a history of winning albeit at a lower level and see if he can bring that winning to this level. Maybe it's not so much the competition he faces and he's actually a good coach. Maybe it will translate. Might as well give it a try. At this point I'm open to anything and honestly hiring Tonagel made just as much sense at the time as hiring Lottich did if not more. Let's at least give the guy an interview for Pete's sake (which if I remember correctly we didn't last time).

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 19, 2021, 01:57:50 AM
I know NAIA and D2 aren't remotely the same thing but we need to consider this as we evaluate the state of the program and the head coaching position: Indiana State lost a bunch of players to transfer and then lost its best player to injury after hiring a D2 coach and has now started the year 3-1 with victories over Green Bay and Old Dominion (Not great shakes as programs but not slouches either). The point is this: Indiana State has all the same excuses Lottich can use and is still doing much better than Lottich is despite Lottich having the advantage of having been at the helm of the program for many years by this point. Maybe we need to look at a guy like Tonagel who has a history of winning albeit at a lower level and see if he can bring that winning to this level. Maybe it's not so much the competition he faces and he's actually a good coach. Maybe it will translate. Might as well give it a try. At this point I'm open to anything and honestly hiring Tonagel made just as much sense at the time as hiring Lottich did if not more. Let's at least give the guy an interview for Pete's sake (which if I remember correctly we didn't last time).

I agree on this. Remember, we hired a guy named Homer Drew whose previous coaching spot was at Indiana-South Bend (NAIA) and Bethel University (D3).  As I recall, Homer did a fair job at Valpo.  ::)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on November 19, 2021, 08:41:10 AM

I agree on this. Remember, we hired a guy named Homer Drew whose previous coaching spot was at Indiana-South Bend (NAIA) and Bethel University (D3).  As I recall, Homer did a fair job at Valpo.  ::)

Homer Drew didn't have a winning season until year 6 including 3 straight years of 5 or less wins. You guys would have been all over him. No way he survives the current world.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 19, 2021, 08:58:48 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 19, 2021, 01:57:50 AMI know NAIA and D2 aren't remotely the same thing but we need to consider this as we evaluate the state of the program and the head coaching position: Indiana State lost a bunch of players to transfer and then lost its best player to injury after hiring a D2 coach and has now started the year 3-1 with victories over Green Bay and Old Dominion (Not great shakes as programs but not slouches either). The point is this: Indiana State has all the same excuses Lottich can use and is still doing much better than Lottich is despite Lottich having the advantage of having been at the helm of the program for many years by this point. Maybe we need to look at a guy like Tonagel who has a history of winning albeit at a lower level and see if he can bring that winning to this level. Maybe it's not so much the competition he faces and he's actually a good coach. Maybe it will translate. Might as well give it a try. At this point I'm open to anything and honestly hiring Tonagel made just as much sense at the time as hiring Lottich did if not more. Let's at least give the guy an interview for Pete's sake (which if I remember correctly we didn't last time).
Homer Drew didn't have a winning season until year 6 including 3 straight years of 5 or less wins. You guys would have been all over him. No way he survives the current world.

We had no history to speak of prior to Homer Drew. We weren't in a prestigious multibid conference back then. It made much more sense to be patient then because what did we have to lose? Does Lottich have a Mr Basketball son ready to join the team and resurrect the program that we don't know about? If we're being honest Homer got lucky that Bryce came around when he did and decided to stay home and play for him. It saved him and it saved our program moreso than anything else that happened. Had Bryce not been a High School senior\Valpo commit at the time I doubt Homer would have lasted much longer. There is much more at stake for the program in the current world. if we continue to fall too far behind our MVC peers we may well dig a hole we can never get out of like Evansville except they have much stronger fan support that can carry them through lean times. That said, the MVC might well tank this conference by its own hand if they are seriously going to add awful programs like UMKC and Arlington....

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 19, 2021, 08:58:48 AMHomer Drew didn't have a winning season until year 6 including 3 straight years of 5 or less wins. You guys would have been all over him. No way he survives the current world.

Valpo had a losing record is 12 of the previous 13 years prior to Homer arriving and that one year finished at 13-12.  Now, Matt on the other hand, inherited a team that won 30 games and had a winning record in the previous 6 years.  Yes, we switched conferences, but come on, if he can't turn this ship around with the talent on board then it just might be time to steer clear of the iceberg.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Yes, but his record the first four years would have gotten him fired today. Of course, expectations were a tad different in 1992.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VUGrad1314

Quote from: covufan on November 19, 2021, 12:49:33 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 19, 2021, 01:57:50 AMI know NAIA and D2 aren't remotely the same thing but we need to consider this as we evaluate the state of the program and the head coaching position: Indiana State lost a bunch of players to transfer and then lost its best player to injury after hiring a D2 coach and has now started the year 3-1 with victories over Green Bay and Old Dominion (Not great shakes as programs but not slouches either). The point is this: Indiana State has all the same excuses Lottich can use and is still doing much better than Lottich is despite Lottich having the advantage of having been at the helm of the program for many years by this point. Maybe we need to look at a guy like Tonagel who has a history of winning albeit at a lower level and see if he can bring that winning to this level. Maybe it's not so much the competition he faces and he's actually a good coach. Maybe it will translate. Might as well give it a try. At this point I'm open to anything and honestly hiring Tonagel made just as much sense at the time as hiring Lottich did if not more. Let's at least give the guy an interview for Pete's sake (which if I remember correctly we didn't last time).
Yes, but his record the first four years would have gotten him fired today. Of course, expectations were a tad different in 1992. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah we've gone from a school just trying to survive as a D1 program to a school that is supposed to be a mid major power. That's a big difference. I fear if we want to hold on to that hope of realizing that potential one day we are running out of time to be patient and may need to make a move soon.

VU75

Has Tonagel ever been considered a candidate for a D1 school?

valpo64

I didn't know that VU was considered a mid-major power.

FWalum

Quote from: VU75 on November 19, 2021, 05:13:42 PM

I actually think the question is, has Greg Tonagel ever wanted to be considered a candidate for a D1 program? I don't believe that he has, but if there is someone on this board who knows Greg personally then maybe they could end the speculation on this board that VU has slighted Greg by not offering him the opportunity to interview.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpo89

Quote from: FWalum on November 20, 2021, 04:08:34 PM

I actually think the question is, has Greg Tonagel ever wanted to be considered a candidate for a D1 program? I don't believe that he has, but if there is someone on this board who knows Greg personally then maybe they could end the speculation on this board that VU has slighted Greg by not offering him the opportunity to interview.
I have heard from a source very close to Greg that VU is the only job he really wants, other than where he is.

usc4valpo

1314 - not sure I  agree with your assessment. Drew's team were gradually improving before Bryce Drew. also, back then they were not committed at all  - in fact this was a school that gave Tom Smith tenure.

Just Sayin

Quote from: Valpo89 on November 20, 2021, 05:59:30 PM
Quote from: FWalum on November 20, 2021, 04:08:34 PM

I have heard from a source very close to Greg that VU is the only job he really wants, other than where he is.

He knows how to coach. He's gotta be better than what we have now. Give him a shot if this is his dream job.

valpotx

Having taken classes with Greg, I can vouch that the guy is extremely smart.  I was surprised that he was a basketball player, to be honest, as he was always top of the class in Chemistry, Biology, etc.  Very similar to Antti Nikkila.  Not what you would expect from D-1 basketball players.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mj

QuoteHe knows how to coach. He's gotta be better than what we have now. Give him a shot if this is his dream job.

I agree with this. He has a proven record of success. Will it translate to Division I? The hoop is still 10 feet, so I think it's worth a shot.

There's a lot of mediocre basketball programs. We need to think outside the box
I believe that we will win.

Just Sayin

Hey 89, can you teach me how to like someone's post more than one time? You liked mj's post above 4 times.   :cheers:

AB

Bo Ryan... UW Platville, UW Milwaukee, UW. Success at all levels.

VU75

This guy has a nice resume too.

2019-Present – Ohio State Assistant Coach
2017-2019 – (3 years) Vanderbilt Assistant Coach
2014-2016 (3 years)– Ohio State Video Coordinator
2012-2013 (2 years) – Valparaiso – Assistant Coach
2011 (1 year) – Valparaiso – Director of Operations

Chairback

It would be good if we could get Ryan or Alec involved in the program when they finish their playing career. 

usc4valpo

Alec may be a possibility but not Ryan since he has a few ponds to cross...

wh

Quote from: Chairback on November 21, 2021, 04:33:52 PM
It would be good if we could get Ryan or Alec involved in the program when they finish their playing career. 

I remember posting the same sentiment about Ryan a few years ago, and Koala either liked the post or said something affirmative (can't recall which). He was playing in Europe at the time. Also, isn't his wife American?