• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Javon Freeman is transferring...(Bakari as well)

Started by AlecPeters101, March 19, 2019, 02:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Bradley loses. Golder transfers. Valpo's cheap administration won't do anything about anything. Now all we need is for Murray State Belmont and NKU to keep winning. I hate everything right now...

mj

I believe that we will win.

oklahomamick

UMKC lost 8?  I didn't know they still had a team after leaving the Mid-con.

How is that program?  We don't want to be like that. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

We're heading that way. And apparently many on campus wouldn't care if we made it to that point. Luckily our conference affiliation will make certain that we never quite fall THAT far but still... The ship is sinking fast.

valpo64

I wouldn't say the ship is sinking but there sure are some who are jumping overboard anyway.

VUGrad1314

Well what on Earth do you call four of our top five scorers LEAVUNG Not graduating LEAVING including a FRESHMAN if not a sinking ship?

bbtds

Quote from: mj on March 21, 2019, 12:23:27 PM
Quote from: bbtds on March 21, 2019, 12:10:24 PMMaybe those three were part of why the unselfish team concept at Valpo was not working and those were the players that needed to leave to get that going within the program.

This is unbelievably petty. You're going to trash players reputations with unfounded rumors because they decide to leave? Come on.

Why are three players who couldn't find cohesiveness with their other very talented teammates be better judges of what's wrong with the team than a Stanford grad who had to deal with multiple injuries, individual players who didn't seem to trust their teammates in the way Loyola did in their Final 4 run, and has witnessed much more winning basketball, who himself can still shoot better than all the members of the team except maybe Fazekas. I've never said I was sure of this just that it is a possibility. I could be totally wrong but the nature of the players has led me to believe this. As far as Javon I think he may have judged too quickly. I think it's awful that we lost Freeman and he MIGHT regret his decision. Not for sure. I think Javon should have given it more time. Maybe Lottich will get terminated after next season and then the process begins from there. Maybe he should be fired now but I'm not inclined to make that call now. I want to see if the transfers, except for Javon's transfer, help the team become more cohesive.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 21, 2019, 05:05:35 PM
Well what on Earth do you call four of our top five scorers LEAVING Not graduating LEAVING including a FRESHMAN if not a sinking ship?

Could be a nice house cleaning of the team. But I think you are judging too early. I hate to see anyone transferring but that doesn't mean it always hurts if other players that find a cohesiveness with each other are found.

Just Sayin

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 21, 2019, 03:32:26 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 21, 2019, 02:43:31 PM
64, you are correct, players transfer all the time.  However, name a program that had 4 transfer out immediately after the season. 

UMKC lost eight yesterday.

UMKC Transfers - Season Avg-Points

Rob Whitfield   11pts    
Will Mangum   Not shown as playing any games      
Brandon Suggs   2.6pts      
Kenny Strawbridge Not shown as playing any games         
Marco Smith       Not shown as playing any games   
Jamel Allen   7pts
Steve Dulley   2pts, 5 games played
Jordan Giles   8.4pts

Team Avg Pts Total  69.4
Transfers' % of Total 44.6%

Valpo Transfers - Season Avg. - Points

Smits     12.2pts
Freeman 11pts.
Evelyn     8.4pts
Golder      9.2pts

Team Avg Pts Total  66.8
Transfers' % of Total  61.1%

Edit:
UMKC will fire men's basketball coach Kareem RIchardson
https://www.kshb.com/sports/umkc-will-fire-mens-basketball-coach-kareem-richardson

wh

Quote from: mj on March 21, 2019, 04:34:52 PM
Quote from: wh on March 21, 2019, 04:04:58 PMand attitude issues.

Citation please

It's called believing my lying eyes after watching every second of 30 home games in person over the past 2 seasons, including timeouts, warmups, looks, glares and headshakes when taken out of the game, openly motioning to another player they were trying to pass to that resulted in a TO so everyone will think it's the other player's fault, coasting on defense, constantly bitching at the refs on nearly every foul called on themselves which continued unceasingly even after Matt said he was going to put a stop to it, Derrik constantly bending the refs ear on the way off the court during TO's, not rushing over to help pickup a fellow player who takes a charge Derrik, not joining in when the team huddles up on the court when the action is stopped for foul shots, not diving for loose balls, on and on. These all apply to Smits and Evelyn, not so much Golder until later in this year's conf. season when he clearly just quit on the team. This nonsense went on repeatedly. There's no way you could miss it if you're there live and paying close attention.

VUGrad1314

mj

Quote from: wh on February 11, 2019, 12:05:22 AM
I'm all about effort. Guys played their hearts out today (and other games recently). That tells me that they have bought into the system, are highly competitive, and are deeply committed to improving. The wins will follow in due time. I really believe that.

It's funny. You didn't seem to mention all of these supposed issues with the team back in February.

The timing of these types of criticism stinks to high heaven. When they wear the brown and gold everything is ok. But suddenly, when they leave, they've always had attitude problems?

Is this the "Valpo way" now?
I believe that we will win.

bbtds

Quote from: mj on March 21, 2019, 06:26:22 PM
I'm all about effort. Guys played their hearts out today (and other games recently). That tells me that they have bought into the system, are highly competitive, and are deeply committed to improving. The wins will follow in due time. I really believe that.

It's funny. You didn't seem to mention all of these supposed issues with the team back in February.

The timing of these types of criticism stinks to high heaven. When they wear the brown and gold everything is ok. But suddenly, when they leave, they've always had attitude problems?

Come on! Very unfair! wh was making a comment about one game and you're using it to quote him about the whole season. Really?!

wh

Quote from: mj on March 21, 2019, 06:26:22 PM

I don't know about the Valpo Way, but apparently "your way" is to cherry pick one of hundreds of comments I made during the season to paint a false narrative because you disagree with my position. Intellectually lazy. You can do better.

JD24

Quote from: valpo64 on March 21, 2019, 02:21:37 PMAfter all we have been the recipients of transfers to our program so why are we so surprised when the shoe is on the other foot? 
I was about to post something along the same lines.

VUGrad1314

It's not THAT there are transfers it's WHO is transferring. This is not normal. This is not a good look. Four of our top five scorers just peaced out. That doesn't happen to steady successful programs. If the three grad transfers believed in this coach this team and its future they would have stayed. If Freeman believed in Lottich he would have stayed. The team doesn't believe in Lottich why should we?

usc4valpo

Freeman going to Northwestern would not be a bad decision for him in the long run. Their basketball program, despite at the bottom of the cellar, is in better shape than Valpo, and academics at NU are truly outstanding.

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 21, 2019, 09:30:44 PM
It's not THAT there are transfers it's WHO is transferring. This is not normal. This is not a good look. Four of our top five scorers just peaced out. That doesn't happen to steady successful programs. If the three grad transfers believed in this coach this team and its future they would have stayed. If Freeman believed in Lottich he would have stayed. The team doesn't believe in Lottich why should we?

First, the team doesn't believe in him, or 3 disgruntled players don't?  I'm not including Freeman because his leaving may very well have nothing to do with Matt. Secondly, all we've heard are some innuendos from the disgruntleds. I would guess that Matt would have a much different story to tell, wouldn't you agree?

VUGrad1314

Maybe... I'd love to hear him try to spin this positively in a way that doesn't further enrage the fanbase...

valpotx

These transfers can hang their hat on the fact that they were a big reason that this was the second worst Valpo team in the last 25 years.  Good luck to them, but the lack of success is their fault.
"Don't mess with Texas"

elephtheria47

It's always telling to see where the players end up. I think Javon is likely to go higher, but a team is going to have to be willing to have him sit one to play 2, maybe 3, which could limit him.

Derrick may have some interest, hes tall and almost all reward little risk since he'll be one and done. I think he'll go to the biggest team possible but play very little.

I think evelyn will find a program that will give him comparable minutes as Valpo, if he can prove to be healthy.

Golder is interesting. I always thought he could be a baller. I think he will go somewhere with similar opportunities as to Valpo and tear it up. Hes *exploring* grad transfer...is he for sure gone?

But in the end, Valpo is in their rear view mirror so they should be in ours. One, maybe 2, is hurtful but I'm hoping ML can add 1, or 2, helpful pieces for next year. Time for him to get it done.

vu72

First, Javon could care less about academics at Northwestern.  He intends to go pro, period.  I really will be surprised if he ends up being a starter at a high major with a quality team (that would not include Northwestern (14th in the Big 10).

Second, we didn't lose Alec Peters or Bryce Drew, we lost Javon Freeman.  I just looked back at the record (scary sometimes) and found that playing against just D1 opponents, Javon averaged 10.5 ppg and shot 27% from the 3.  That is not high major stuff folks.

I really think us fans got caught up with some highlight plays and thought we had a stud.  Maybe a stud in a few years but he was a bright spot on a bad team that couldn't shoot straight ex-Ryan Fazekas.  With any luck in the transfer lottery we could be a much better team next year.  Even with just guys who need to sit a year we won't be worse particularly if Micah stays or we pickup a grad transfer like Deion. Just my  :twocents:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Just Sayin

Quote from: vu72 on March 22, 2019, 09:33:15 AM
First, Javon could care less about academics at Northwestern.  He intends to go pro, period.  I really will be surprised if he ends up being a starter at a high major with a quality team (that would not include Northwestern (14th in the Big 10).

Second, we didn't lose Alec Peters or Bryce Drew, we lost Javon Freeman.  I just looked back at the record (scary sometimes) and found that playing against just D1 opponents, Javon averaged 10.5 ppg and shot 27% from the 3.  That is not high major stuff folks.

I really think us fans got caught up with some highlight plays and thought we had a stud.  Maybe a stud in a few years but he was a bright spot on a bad team that couldn't shoot straight ex-Ryan Fazekas.  With any luck in the transfer lottery we could be a much better team next year.  Even with just guys who need to sit a year we won't be worse particularly if Micah stays or we pickup a grad transfer like Deion. Just my  :twocents:

Couldn't disagree with you more. Javon is a stud. Valpo blew it.

EddieCabot

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 22, 2019, 07:23:11 AM
Golder is interesting. I always thought he could be a baller. I think he will go somewhere with similar opportunities as to Valpo and tear it up. Hes *exploring* grad transfer...is he for sure gone?

This is definitely a baller move on his part.  It encouraged me to tell my wife I was *exploring* divorce if I could find someone I liked better, but I'll have no further comment until I've checked out all my options.

M