• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Preseason Canada Trip

Started by bbtds, August 05, 2019, 07:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUBBFan

To those who say Matt is too passive coaching, you should look at that game. He had fire going on there. Had his players back.

https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/1164207484577505284

VU2014

A very in depth article about the Carleton game. Lot's of Valpo nuggets in here

Valparaiso's OT buzzer-beater ends Carleton Ravens 12-game NCAA winning streak
Published 1 week ago on August 14, 2019
By Edilson J. Silva

https://basketballbuzz.ca/usports/valparaisos-ot-buzzer-beater-ends-carleton-ravens-12-game-ncaa-winning-streak?pk_campaign=twt-valparaiso-ot-buzzer-carleton-ravens%26&pk_source=bb&pk_medium=twt

https://twitter.com/basketballbuzz/status/1161744274721071104?s=20

CPkValpoFan

I just saw on College Sports Madness top 144 Previews that U of South Florida is ranked #73
and Carleton beat them this summer.  This makes Valpo's performance all the more special.
When you consider that Fazekas was not playing and so many new faces are being integrated,
this makes their win over Carleton plus defeating all the other teams even more impressive.
If I was a sports betting man, and I am not, I would think that one could get some insane
odds this year on Valpo early on.   They are flying totally under the radar right now and they
are going to totally surprise some schools this year that take them too lightly.

IrishDawg

Quote from: CPkValpoFan on August 26, 2019, 01:44:35 PM
I just saw on College Sports Madness top 144 Previews that U of South Florida is ranked #73
and Carleton beat them this summer.  This makes Valpo's performance all the more special.
When you consider that Fazekas was not playing and so many new faces are being integrated,
this makes their win over Carleton plus defeating all the other teams even more impressive.
If I was a sports betting man, and I am not, I would think that one could get some insane
odds this year on Valpo early on.   They are flying totally under the radar right now and they
are going to totally surprise some schools this year that take them too lightly.

I'm not saying to not be encouraged by Valpo's performance in Canada, but a 1 game sample size does not give an accurate depiction of the team's performance over an entire season. South Florida also beat McGill by 30 points, a team that Valpo beat by 6, so it really depends on which game you want to look at. Carleton also beat Albany by 13, though the game was much tighter than that. Albany beat Concordia by 28, who Valpo needed 14 straight points to win by 4.

Again, what Valpo showed is encouraging and fans should be happy, but I wouldn't read too much into it at this point.  This is still a young team that hasn't played together very long, so there are going to be inconsistencies, but hopefully by the end of the year, they'll be firing on all cylinders.

CPkValpoFan

Thanks for your research on this.  Good points made.
However, considering what I saw last year and have seen already this year, I have to like our odds.
The intensity and energy level is definitely up a notch.