• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo hosts Missouri State Feb 25th 7PM Senior Night

Started by VUBBFan, February 24, 2020, 11:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Glue guy Kiser.  Been saying it since last season, and he continues to prove it.  The fact that the dude is making 3's this season is just icing on top of all of the other things that he has done for us.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

This is the first time we've been over .500 in MVC play since our victory in Bloomington Normal on February 5 of last year! AKA The Great JFL Coming Out Party where he had 27 points to take us to 6-5 in MVC play. It feels good to be on this side of things again! Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

NativeCheesehead

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on February 25, 2020, 08:54:16 PMGlue guy Kiser.  Been saying it since last season, and he continues to prove it.  The fact that the dude is making 3's this season is just icing on top of all of the other things that he has done for us.

Passing up the open threes to get better shots is just awesome. So unselfish. He does so much for the team. He's been great and we will miss him. And a no-practice order but he still plays like this? Amazing. A testament to his heart his character and to this program.

valpo64

Absolutely a great team effort sparked by some sensational performances by individuals.  It was as great game plan by Coach L that picked up the team with JFL and Nick out.  What fun it is to watch these guys play well at this time of the year.  Thanks Ryan and Jon.

VUfan

nkvu

That was fun to watch.  Fast start, solid first half.  Even faster start in the second half with no letdown. Lots of contributors and some great individual performances. Now the team knows they can not only win without JFL but dominate. Come back with the same kind of performance next game and we could make some noise in St. Louis. 👏

hailcrusaders

Loyola is trying their darndest to blow a 12 point lead over Drake at the Gentile, but they're going to hold on. Valpo started the day tied with Drake in the standings, now we're a game up on Drake and MO St and a half-game behind ISUb, who is at SIU tomorrow evening.
#CrusadersForever

VUGrad1314

Loyola beats Drake 64-60! Here's the real time standings for avoiding Thursday:

Indiana State 9-7 (@SIU tomorrow)

Valpo 9-8

Missouri State 8-9

Drake 8-9

Since NET is a tiebreaker I think Drake is now for sure a Thursday team and now it's very simple, win and in for Valpo. Indiana State becomes a nearly certain top six team with one victory as well. Otherwise it may come down to NET rating. Let's just make it easy and get this win! Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

govalpogo

Reporters tweeting that JFL has mono, perhaps has been playing with it?  Jeez, sound familiar?  If they play like this without him, it'll be okay...but Valpo won their first game without Peters too that year.  They did look like a well-oiled machine tonight. Todd reported during the game that  JFL would likely miss Saturday, but be back for the Tournament...so let's hope for that.

hailcrusaders

Meanwhile, Lottich confirms that Freeman-Liberty has been diagnosed with mono, but "it might sound worse than it actually is [?]...JFL has been playing [during the season] with it and will be re-evaluated soon" per Oren on Twitter
#CrusadersForever

VUGrad1314

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 25, 2020, 09:21:55 PMMeanwhile, Lottich confirms that Freeman-Liberty has been diagnosed with mono, but "it might sound worse than it actually is [?]...JFL has been playing [during the season] with it and will be re-evaluated soon" per Oren on Twitter

No breaks for Valpo in the Lottich era... Wow... This isn't right...

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Ryan Fazekas goes 5-6 from 3 tonight and is now 36-70 for the year putting him at 51.42% for the season and now 84-181 for his VU career or 46.41%. This is a top 3 conference team if Ryan had been healthy all season.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FWalum on February 25, 2020, 09:37:59 PMRyan Fazekas goes 5-6 from 3 tonight and is now 36-70 for the year putting him at 51.42% for the season and now 84-181 for his VU career or 46.41%. This is a top 3 conference team if Ryan had been healthy all season.

With how close we came against Cincinnati and Arkansas (and we probably wouldn't have lost some of the other games we came up short in) who knows? Maybe we could have been at least a bubble team had we been healthy. It's sad to think about what could have been but at least our future looks incredibly bright! We might just be a top 3 team come next season! Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

M

Thought the guys played great in every facet except defensive rebounding. Everyone did their jobs well. Lets get one more big win on Saturday!

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 25, 2020, 09:30:18 PMMono, the ol kissing disease.

As long as JFL hasn't been kissing Ryan and Clay, I think we can still be alright.  :thumbsup:

talksalot

Good decision by "Freight Runners" air charter service.  (same company used by Valpo)  They dropped off the MoSt team yesterday evening, and immediately took off... for Gary International Airport.  Longer Runway, somewhat better equipment... and the Bears had to bus over to the Gary Airport for their flight back to Springfield...  Scheduled to take off at 10:10pm... gonna be a really nasty flight with bad weather in NWI and at Springfield.

VUGrad1314

I've been thinking as well guys that NET is a tiebreaker. And rewards teams for winning by big margins. Missouri State came into that game 11 spots ahead of us. We just beat them by a margin that gives us bonus points (presumably at Missouri State's expense.) Therefore we will rise and they will fall possibly by enough that we will pass them in the NET rankings setting up a situation where the NET tiebreaker between us and Missouri State (should it come to that) will favor us. I'll have to check tomorrow but this could be great and very significant news for us! Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: talksalot on February 25, 2020, 10:03:47 PMGood decision by "Freight Runners" air charter service.  (same company used by Valpo)  They dropped off the MoSt team yesterday evening, and immediately took off... for Gary International Airport.  Longer Runway, somewhat better equipment... and the Bears had to bus over to the Gary Airport for their flight back to Springfield...  Scheduled to take off at 10:10pm... gonna be a really nasty flight with bad weather in NWI and at Springfield.

I'm glad the company is doing what it can to account for their safety. If you are praying people it is only right that we send our prayers to their team for a safe journey home.

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 25, 2020, 08:30:44 PMAre we getting hot at the right time?

Somebody better check the air conditioning for our flight to St.Louis.

4throwfan

JFL has Mono, and will miss Saturday?

This season has had adversity, and the team has fought.  Missed time for Fazekas and Nick.

Team has put themselves down in multiple games, and has fought back.

Now JFL is out for the final two games.  Seems that adversity is one constant for the season.

I read at the beginning of the season that the coaching staff was putting a new emphasis on culture.  This latest blow is where that emphasis pays off.  It has been said that "culture eats strategy for breakfast."  I'm a believer in that.  It seems that this team has the culture and character to shake off this latest issue.  If VU wins in Terre Haute, I think that we need to be VERY proud of this team.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: 4throwfan on February 25, 2020, 10:57:56 PMJFL has Mono, and will miss Saturday? This season has had adversity, and the team has fought.  Missed time for Fazekas and Nick. Team has put themselves down in multiple games, and has fought back. Now JFL is out for the final two games.  Seems that adversity is one constant for the season. I read at the beginning of the season that the coaching staff was putting a new emphasis on culture.  This latest blow is where that emphasis pays off.  It has been said that "culture eats strategy for breakfast."  I'm a believer in that.  It seems that this team has the culture and character to shake off this latest issue.  If VU wins in Terre Haute, I think that we need to be VERY proud of this team.

I see the culture being established. I'm already there. I'm VERY proud of this team and what they have shown down the stretch. Loyola showed us what culture can do, Wichita State in its MVC days shows what culture can do. The entire MVC shows what culture can do. Gonzaga shows what culture can do. Butler shows what culture can do. The culture emphasis is already starting to pay off. They've been incredible. The difference between this year's team and last year's team is night and day. They proved they can do it. They can win no matter the circumstances tonight and I am darn proud of them. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

VUGrad1314

How can anybody be frustrated or upset with this guy? He works so hard and sets such a good example for the whole team. Go Mileek! Keep working! I hope he has a big finish to this year and a huge senior season!

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1232517803158200320

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 26, 2020, 01:28:27 AM
How can anybody be frustrated or upset with this guy? He works so hard and sets such a good example for the whole team. Go Mileek! Keep working! I hope he has a big finish to this year and a huge senior season!

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1232517803158200320

We all appreciate where he has come from, undoubtedly.  I fear you watch the games through different lenses than some of us.  Doesn't make you wrong or us wrong, but don't post an emotionally charged comment that doesn't address his basketball IQ.  This is strictly the complaint that some of us are raising.  Him taking shots in a gym are why he has come so far, but they don't change his decision making ability.

Ie Last night we are trying to keep a lead under 3-min and he jacks up a three ball with maybe 23 seconds left on the shot clock......situational awareness eludes Mileek at times.