• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Evansville in St. Louis 3/5/20 @ 8:30 CST

Started by VUSWIM08-12, March 05, 2020, 08:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

shooting 0% from 3 and we are up by 9 with 5 minutes to go in 1st half.  Wow. 

We are much more talented than Evansville
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpower

I sure hope Luke Morrill gets some good minutes.

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 05, 2020, 11:10:03 AM
Anyone know if we managed to scrape together a pep band for this week(end).

Yes--scraped together pep band

No--Lottich will not be sacked (if we lose to Evansville)

nkvu

Didn't shoot the ball well, but fortunately they played worse. Hope we can hit a few in the second half and not go into one of our usual scoring droughts or this could get uncomfortable real quick. Keep playing good defense, control the boards and hit free throws.

oklahomamick

Lottich shouldn't be sacked if we lose to Evansville nor should he. 

But let's be honest, AD is not sacking him even if we had 6 losing seasons and 6 Thursday night games. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUSWIM08-12

This game is getting funny , if we somehow win , no way we beat Loyola PLAYING LIKE THIS !

Valpower

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on March 05, 2020, 10:03:39 PM
This game is getting funny , if we somehow win , no way we beat Loyola PLAYING LIKE THIS !
Frustrating play.  It's that disorienting period when a key player returns and tries too hard. JFL is definitely not in peak form.

oklahomamick

my plus 7 didn't cash but my plus 3000 is still alive! 
CRUSADERS!!!

mj

I believe that we will win.

hailcrusaders

Well, we won. I did NOT feel good about it in any way, shape, or form, but we won. Survive and advance.

We beat Evansville three times this season by a combined total of seven points  :o
#CrusadersForever

nkvu

Not pretty and more exciting than it needed to be but we pulled it out with that block by Clay. Got to play a lot better tomorrow to have a chance.

PlumStreetBum

What an uninspired offensive performance. Seemed out of sorts and sloppy. Bit embarrassing, hopefully someone can hit a 3 tomorrow.

Defense stepped up though. D like that and our offensive average will at least give us a shot against Loyola.

oklahomamick

Can't believe we didn't make one three.  It's been 9 years since that has happened. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

I love nail biters as long as we win. Fazekas sat almost as much as he played. Was that just matchup issues? Freeman sick and rusty, McMillan not much, Gordon less, and not even an appearance from Morgan. Just not the minute distribution I had imagined.

Live by the 2, die by the 3?

hailcrusaders

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 05, 2020, 10:46:22 PMCan't believe we didn't make one three.  It's been 9 years since that has happened.
I may be mistaken, but I think I remember that one against Akron was a Coaches vs. Cancer game, they gave out powder blue shirts to students (I think I still have mine somewhere), and we somehow won that won too in unremarkable fashion.
#CrusadersForever

justducky

26 points from our freshmen only 10 from our seniors. 4 more steals by Javon

elephtheria47

Todd will have Evansville playing well by next season. I'm glad our game was against Evansville because against anyone else we likely would have lost. The rust is off, JFL has a game under his belt, let's roll today!

IndyValpo

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 06, 2020, 07:48:16 AM
Todd will have Evansville playing well by next season. I'm glad our game was against Evansville because against anyone else we likely would have lost. The rust is off, JFL has a game under his belt, let's roll today!
Evansville is not really bringing Lickliter back are they?

IndyValpo

At the end of the game I am not sure Kiser shouldn't have just dribbled into the corner to kill the clock. I understand the dunk that put us up by 3. Also, it worked out but was anyone else surprised Lottich took a time out there.

FWalum

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 06, 2020, 08:13:32 AM
Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 06, 2020, 07:48:16 AM
Evansville is not really bringing Lickliter back are they?
Yes, Lickliter signed a multi-year contract with the school. The contract is believed to be similar in pay to McCarty's which reportedly had a base salary of $250,000. The contract has not been made public.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Why wouldn't they bring Lickliter back? They played good inspired basketball under him. It didn't translate into wins but in the situation in which that program found itself I don't think anybody would have fared any better.

valpo84

I had a longer analysis but sometimes this website eats your posts.  Anyway, briefly:

I have said many times this year, this team needs to learn to value possessions and the basketball way more.  Last night, almost proved the old adage -- whatever mistakes you were making in regular season magnify in the playoffs/tourneys.  First half, we had at least 3 possessions we threw or dribbled away that could have extended lead to 15-18 and effectively ended Eville's spirit and fight.  We let them crawl back in before half and then hang around.  College basketball is a series of runs.  Minimize theirs, extend yours.  Late 2d half, 2 empty possessions to extend lead to 5-6 and end the game.  A 1 and 1, need to hit the fronts. Film sessions should focus on those moments, eliminate the empty possessions and achieve greatness.

Survived and advanced. Beat Gryffindor!
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vuny98

If there was one game where it was ok to have an off night, last night was it. Survived and can move on. Hopefully the bad performance will motivate a better game today and help them shake off any rust.

VUGrad1314

One thing's for sure we can't blame lack of familiarity with the floor or the rims this time. We've got to play better.