• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Hoops Band

Started by tiny707, March 19, 2020, 10:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Regarding the fan malaise mentioned numerous times, I am resurrecting this string just to pass along something I came across as I was surfing college athletic sites. It, by no means, is a single panacea for the ARC atmosphere (see winning games), but it's one small step to upgrade the experience. BTW, did someone mention that the beer is cold?  That's a tiny but great step in a positive direction :)

Most schools, under Sports/Teams, have a category like "Spirit Teams."  You know, cheerleaders and dance. But under several you can also find "Pep Band" listed. There are usually pics and a write-up.  I even saw one video that got me pumped and laughing. Bottom line, Recognition. Valpo doesn't do this.

Whether student run, or under the AD or Music Department, there is a place for a Pep Band for at least FB and MBB. I would also argue that certain key games/matches for WSO, WBB, and VB would also deserve some added Pep Band chaos.

Why can't the Athletic Department and Music Department collaborate for a win-win partnership on this issue?  Pep Band is kinda similar to a club sport. While the Music Department does not have funds to support musicians outside of maybe a university orchestra or jazz group or whatever, they have a finger on the pulse of musicians on campus and have the expertise to help those musicians fulfill a personal need to perform. The Athletic Department also has a need: to create a thriving fan culture that a band boosts exponentially — if done well. And because FB and MBB generate revenue, they have some funds that could provide modest compensation for some practice time as well as game time performances for band members.

Couple decent campus-wide recognition with a little compensation and it should create a foundation for a motivated pep band.  Makes sense, no?  Add maybe an irreverent, creative director who believes in making the experience fun not only for the band members but for the fans as well and you have a great combination. Zany is good.

Is this so hard?