• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football 2021

Started by NotBryceDrew, August 16, 2021, 09:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotBryceDrew

With camp now well underway, anyone seen or heard anything about how the team is looking?

valpofb16

We have a xfer QB from San Diego Jeffrey Jackson as well as Weber state.

Other than that, nothing really. Not much coverage but better than it used to be for sure

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 16, 2021, 01:01:02 PMWe have a xfer QB from San Diego Jeffrey Jackson as well as Weber state. Other than that, nothing really. Not much coverage but better than it used to be for sure
Jackson played in some games for Univ of Chicago prior to last year's transfer to USD.

Are these two guys immediately eligible? I can't keep track of the rules.

valpofb16

I believe everyone is eligible immediately due to last year not counting as a year of eligibility

vu72

If you go to YouTube you'll find interviews from a recent press day. They include "Coach Fox and Robert Washington. I'm excited. Should be a fun season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTL5x7n2cz4&t=830s
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

Roster dropped today transfer TE who played at Wake Forest last season.

Oscar Lopez has been moved to OLB, Luke Patterson to Safety.

Lost about 2-3 recruits (Toketa, Roberson, Munoz)

Lost another 2-3 players , no starters.

A lot of number changes. 122 on roster. Let's go Beacons

JD24

Lopez moving from WR to OLB is a bit unusual.

Whole gaggle of new coaches listed.

valpotx

Another FBS RB transfer.  Very interesting to see that we can get these FBS guys.  I don't remember a lot of those in our history, outside of the Punter that transferred in from Colorado State, while I was in school.  He loved to show off his bowl ring that he won while at CSU
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on August 18, 2021, 03:31:36 AMAnother FBS RB transfer.

And apparently a pretty good one! Coach mentioned that Robert Washington was getting some competition and that Nick Orekoya was a very good player.

So the new guys  this year from bigger programs include a TE from Wake Forest, a RB from U Mass, A QB from Weber State and a WR from Eastern Illinois.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

A QB from the University of San Diego, as well.  This program is on the rise.  It would be very cool to make an FCS playoff appearance. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Lurking Dog

Quote from: valpotx on August 19, 2021, 03:25:07 AM
A QB from the University of San Diego, as well.

He did not see playing time at USD.  However, he was all-conference at U. of Chicago before his first transfer.

Good luck to you this season.

JD24

Quote from: Lurking Dog on August 20, 2021, 09:15:43 AM
Quote from: valpotx on August 19, 2021, 03:25:07 AMA QB from the University of San Diego, as well.
He did not see playing time at USD.  However, he was all-conference at U. of Chicago before his first transfer. Good luck to you this season.
What's interesting about this guy is what you said about the 2018 season where he was 1st team MWC. In 2019 he played the first two games. Statistically seemed a bit down and then is off the depth chart for game 3 and not listed on the roster for 2019 at all. He might have been injured in game 2 but he appears to have played the entire game with no other QB playing other than his backup who ended up starting the rest of the season and he only played as a WR.

Transferring to USD makes sense due to covid and maybe he preferred being near his home while staying school.

elephtheria47

What was going on tonight? Drove by and they had "wmu" as the visitors and it was 10 (valpo) to 44 (wmu). Would it have been western Michigan?

Turf and Grid Iron Dad

Saturday night scrimmage to align with start time of IWU game.

Valpo - 10 was offensive scores.
WMU - 44 was defensive spotted lead of 14 and 6 addition points per turn over.

WMU was left over on board from Women's soccer.

valpotx

Oh wow, I didn't realize that the game time is 5 pm for our first game.  It has been some time since we've played a Football game that late in the day.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

I think this team has an opportunity to win 7 or more games, especially if we continue to improve.  That would give us more than 10 wins in calendar year 2021 - a tough to beat number!

Go Beacs?!?!  Go Fighting Beacons?!?!  If Stanford can have a tree as mascot, do we have an enlightened Jake Blues running around saying "I've seen the Light"?

Please, no shields up slogans in the future.

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on August 30, 2021, 03:47:54 PM
I think this team has an opportunity to win 7 or more games, especially if we continue to improve.  That would give us more than 10 wins in calendar year 2021 - a tough to beat number!

Go Beacs?!?!  Go Fighting Beacons?!?!  If Stanford can have a tree as mascot, do we have an enlightened Jake Blues running around saying "I've seen the Light"?

Please, no shields up slogans in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEmGpXOLFBk

But this one's a good one!

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on August 30, 2021, 03:47:54 PMGo Beacs?!?!  Go Fighting Beacons?!?!

Go Lightnin' Beacons!!??

ValpoDr

Lucky to break 500 this season. Coaching staff is very sketch again and sticking with the same crop of Sr-Jr players that won what...5 total games over 2 seasons...sorry. Again going to work.

ProudCrusader

Word has it that Fox is officially searching for his new OC. Unfortunately, I think this had to happen.