• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

11/18/11: Akron Game Thread

Started by mp91, November 15, 2011, 08:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnestuff

Unfortunately,

Akron  - 78
Valpo - 64

okinawatyphoon

I'm not so sure about this one either.
Akron 72
Valpo 68
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

VUfan

Vu 73 Akron 70 tight game and they are putting up three more traffic lights on 30 to make those guys from Kokomo feel at home.

valpopal

I heard an unconfirmed rumor on campus this morning that Griff Carpenter will suit up for tonight's game. If true, he will likely not play at all. However, at least there will be another body available if necessary during the three games sometime this weekend, perhaps to put in a few minutes on Saturday (hopefully, during a blow out) against IU Kokomo to give others needed rest. Now, if we could only get Fernandez and Jakolis eligible...

covufan

Quote from: Valpo89 on November 17, 2011, 01:35:36 PM
Why does VU release everyone for Thanksgiving so darn early?
Every other college has classes on Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving Week.
When I was at Valpo I thought it was only the good students who got the whole week off (and two weeks for spring break).  At least that is what I told people.

covufan

I think it will be a good game.

Valpo  -  74
Akron  -  68

chipper955

Looking forward to the game tonight and seeing the new scoreboard.  Hopefully I get to see a Valpo victory as well.

valporun

This will be a close game tonight. Akron will get out quick, so we'll have to be mentally ready to adapt to the pace they'll want to set.

Valpo will get the win in the end, 78-71. It will come down to who hits the free throws.

Also, was looking at the roster, and Duquesne has a 7-1 C, who their announcer said will be ready to dress for Sunday's game. He's apparently been out for a little while. I took a look at the District of Columbia roster too, and they have some names that would make John Bowker want to call it a day before he announced the first name in pregame.

chairback

Edwards is not dressed to play tonight.

sectionee

covufan

Quote from: covufan on November 18, 2011, 03:34:18 PM
I think it will be a good game.

Valpo  -  74
Akron  -  68

Quote from: chairback on November 18, 2011, 07:07:04 PM
Edwards is not dressed to play tonight.
With Edwards out Valpo will have trouble.  Ickow is saying he'll be out the whole weekend, and Bryce will address after the game. 

sectionee

Kurth has played terribly...what else is new.  We have to rebound better and stop turning it over

sectionee

Kenney with a special block! Keep fOuling Akron!

VUfan

valporun

I turned on the radio feed after the game was over. For those who wonder, on the front page, click on the 'sports' or 'schedules' link, and you can get away from the interactive feed to get the link for the radio feed. I'll post here if Bryce mentions why Richie was out during the postgame show.

bbtds

Another great coaching job by Coach Bryce Drew. His team rallies to begin the second half. Valpo withstands Akron's come back and Valpo barely pulls it out despite missing important FT's at the end of the game. He shows again why he was a great choice to succeed his father. Setshot..........Nepo-what?

swiftmutiny

What an intense game! So glad my prediction was wrong. Solid win, keep it up guys!

vu72

Great win!  If I were Akron I'd be pissed.  38-7 foul shots?  Wow!  Really an incredible coaching job and effort considering our pathetic 3 shooting.  No Edwards, no Fernandez, no Boggs, no Jakolis.  How good can this tram be?

Question for all you close observers and coaches: It appears to me that Kevin is a true 5.  Did anybody expect him to be this good?  So, when was the last time we had a true 5?  It obviously is the difference for this team.

GREAT WIN!!!!!!!  This will definitely help the RPI especially at the end of the season.  Akron will win a bunch of games this year!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

No word on Edwards during the postgame show. In terms of what vu72 asked about a true 5, I would say it has been since Raitis Grafs from 1999-2003, unless I'm missing someone since then.

swiftmutiny

I've heard that he's been having academic issues, but that's only a rumor at this point. Take it for what it's worth.

valpofan56

Quote from: valporun on November 18, 2011, 09:53:00 PM
No word on Edwards during the postgame show. In terms of what vu72 asked about a true 5, I would say it has been since Raitis Grafs from 1999-2003, unless I'm missing someone since then.

It was only one year, but Mo' Kone would be the last true 5 (as a starter).

covufan

Quote from: swiftmutiny on November 18, 2011, 09:59:34 PM
I've heard that he's been having academic issues, but that's only a rumor at this point. Take it for what it's worth.
Must not be going to class regularly - or trouble with grades before finals.

Someone in the chat room on valpoathletics.com mentioned he was healthy, and it wasn't anything serious.  I guess that means no Logan Jones type ink in the local press.

johnestuff

chairback

The "rumor" in the crusader club room was he missed a curfew.  But missing three games for it seems harsh if true.

covufan