• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2022-23 Season

Started by humbleopinion, April 04, 2022, 06:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

David, I think you were actually replying to Valpopal.  I share in varying degrees both yours and Pal's views. Somewhere in all our words and thoughts is agreement.  ;D

David81

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 09, 2022, 11:08:45 AM
David, I think you were actually replying to Valpopal.  I share in varying degrees both yours and Pal's views. Somewhere in all our words and thoughts is agreement.  ;D

VULB62, I apologize for that gaffe! I will go back and edit my comment as a response to Valpopal!

usc4valpo

I th8nk everything is cool on this board. I think we can all agree that a status quo solution won't cut it.

valpopal

Quote from: David81 on December 09, 2022, 05:18:33 PM

VULB62, I apologize for that gaffe! I will go back and edit my comment as a response to Valpopal!
VULB62 & David: Despite minor differences in details or degree, I am pleased that our messages seem to indicate the three of us agree substantive actions are needed to reverse the program's decline to its dismal current condition.

Valpo17

To add insult to injury our WBB is looking abysmal
Bad loss to Western Illinois-
Another blunder hire by former admin
Across the board we cannot compete-Our Women's Soccer team was pre season favorite yet they bowed out in first round of conference tourney
Sure winning regular season is great but I believe most agree getting into the ncaa tournament is the goal

vu72

Quote from: Valpo17 on December 10, 2022, 07:06:43 AM
To add insult to injury our WBB is looking abysmal
Bad loss to Western Illinois-

Another blunder hire by former admin
Across the board we cannot compete-Our Women's Soccer team was pre season favorite yet they bowed out in first round of conference tourney
Sure winning regular season is great but I believe most agree getting into the ncaa tournament is the goal

Agree on the WBB program but not on the Soccer team.  Like it or not, being the first team to win a conference championship IS a VERY big deal.  Sure, the loss in the tournament was a disappointment but that program is one of only a few on solid ground.

Dr. Small is doing a town hall on the 14th and probably should be wearing asbestos underwear!  Think about his arrival, the football team was playing great, the tennis team was playing great and soccer wins a conference title, volleyball wins 12 in a row!  All is well right? Um, then the winter sports start and the rotten core of reality sets in.  No doubt the spring sports aren't going to settle his stomach either, not with the current state of softball and baseball.  He is certainly earning his salary.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

As we discuss where VU basketball is now and how it has been on a downturn in recent years, it might be good to remember where the initial rise in the program's stature began, perhaps as reassurance of possibility for a new ascent. This was the beginning of success, though it would take another decade to get to the Sweet 16. I recall sitting right behind the Notre Dame bench and hearing Digger Phelps tell his players during the break before overtime, "There is no way we are going to lose to this team!" My newlywed wife and I were on camera frequently during the game. President Harre, who had been inaugurated only weeks before, was sitting near us with his wife, and he looked dazed at the final buzzer, so I went to him and shook his hand, told him his tenure was off to a good start.

David81

Quote from: valpopal on December 09, 2022, 07:52:17 PM
Quote from: David81 on December 09, 2022, 05:18:33 PM

VULB62 & David: Despite minor differences in details or degree, I am pleased that our messages seem to indicate the three of us agree substantive actions are needed to reverse the program's decline to its dismal current condition.

Valpopal, yes, indeed! Our common ground is pretty substantial. Thanks for your comment.  :)

vu84v2

valpopal - Very happy that you posted this, but sort of scary that there is a blurry (because of the video quality from Sportsvision) and much younger version of myself sitting behind the Valpo bench. My favorite memory of this game involved my wife. She is very polite and pretty restrained. A Notre Dame fan (a woman) was sitting behind us and kept screeching loudly during every Valpo free throw attempt. When the game was over, my wife turned around and yelled at the woman. My wife may have done something like this only once or twice since that game.

usc4valpo

Sports vision was a crock of ....

oklahomamick

Experiment is an appropriate word for Lottich's first contract.  Even though at the time we had the luxury of not experimenting.......

Dumb is the appropriate word for lottich's second contract. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpo17

maybe the former ad will contribute to the buyout....

usc4valpo

Valpo certainly reacted way too fast in that contract extension.

Valpo17

Please expound on how winning a season championship in womens soccer is a BIG deal?

vu72

Quote from: Valpo17 on December 12, 2022, 08:54:53 AM
Please expound on how winning a season championship in womens soccer is a BIG deal?

If you are a fan of Valpo athletics, then any conference championship, be it an individual title or a team title is a big deal.  In this case, it was our very first conference title for ANY sport. Thus, a very BIG deal.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 10, 2022, 07:10:38 PM
Yep. That contract extension was a massive overreaction to a four-day stretch. You have to wonder what would have happened had VU not pulled out that Loyola game.

Pgmado

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on December 12, 2022, 12:57:40 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on December 10, 2022, 07:10:38 PM
Yep. That contract extension was a massive overreaction to a four-day stretch. You have to wonder what would have happened had VU not pulled out that Loyola game.

Valpo needed a late block to secure a win over the winless Evansville squad.

vu84v2

Quote from: vu72 on December 12, 2022, 09:37:26 AM

If you are a fan of Valpo athletics, then any conference championship, be it an individual title or a team title is a big deal.  In this case, it was our very first conference title for ANY sport. Thus, a very BIG deal.

We should always be pleased when a Valpo team wins a conference championship or succeeds in other ways. Indeed, Valpo should make a big deal out of it - but it cannot be used to justify that the athletic department is effective. Men's basketball is the marquee sport and the athletic department cannot be good unless men's basketball is succeeding.

Valpo17

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 12, 2022, 01:39:19 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 12, 2022, 09:37:26 AM

We should always be pleased when a Valpo team wins a conference championship or succeeds in other ways. Indeed, Valpo should make a big deal out of it - but it cannot be used to justify that the athletic department is effective. Men's basketball is the marquee sport and the athletic department cannot be good unless men's basketball is succeeding.

Great point...all i am saying is that for the most part we only care about mb-
im sure the ladies are proud of their win-but it does nothing for the landscape of our school or athletics programs

crusader05

Women's soccer brings more athletes to campus than men's basketball and doesn't offer full scholarships so they are actively paying the university money. This year also many of the seniors embraced leadership and were active inside the athletic department, the community and campus activities. When's the last time a Man's basketball player besides Vashil was a visible member of the campus community?

All of these women are going to continue to recruit other women to come to play here and broaden our reach in different circles. Maybe not as nationally as a NCAA tournament for Men's Basketball, but becoming a solid option in Division 1 women's soccer for strong mid major programs is still something that will be a net positive on the university and maintaining solid success within our other programs means that we can have a stable recruiting presence and good word of mouth in other sports that will help the Athletic Department and the campus in a more consistent and positive way than the flash in the pan of the occasional March Madness experience.

oklahomamick

Being the first team to win a championship is not a VERY big deal. 

Men's soccer was the first one to win the HL.  Where is that program now? 
CRUSADERS!!!