• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Q&A with Dr. Small on Valpo Athletics

Started by vu84v2, November 22, 2022, 07:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

I don't know how this will go, but having open and transparent discussions (as evidenced by Q&A) seems very positive. However, if the Q&A is controlled - in which questions are only asked that have been selected prior to the event - then this is not nearly as positive. I hope that it is structured with time for open questions, because that is effective leadership.
-----------------------------------------
Valpo Athletics Insider with Charles Small, Ed.D.
Wednesday, Dec. 14, 6:30–7:30 p.m. Central
Online via Zoom

Join Valparaiso University Director of Athletics Charles Small, Ed.D., for a question-and-answer conversation about the 2022–2023 season. Dr. Small will recap the successes in fall sports, as well as share his vision for the future of Valpo Athletics in the spring and beyond.

valpo64

After seeing and reading some of the comments posted on this Board, I would be concerned about public discussions and postings with Dr. Small.  Public personal attacks and demeaning comments have no place in a public forum with Dr. Small and we sure have seen enough of those posted on this Board.  I applaud Dr. Small for his efforts to get the pulse of Valpo nation as related to our athletic programs.

truth219

When things are said about your job performance that may hurt but are accurate doesn't equal a personal or demeaning attack. Accountability is required for success, feelings and emotions are left at home. Valparaiso basketball is a business not a men's bible study

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: valpo64 on November 22, 2022, 08:27:12 AM

After seeing and reading some of the comments posted on this Board, I would be concerned about public discussions and postings with Dr. Small.  Public personal attacks and demeaning comments have no place in a public forum with Dr. Small and we sure have seen enough of those posted on this Board.  I applaud Dr. Small for his efforts to get the pulse of Valpo nation as related to our athletic programs.
I'm not sure that I've seen many (if any) comments on this forum that would categorize as personal attacks. I think consensus is pretty clear that Matt Lottich is a man of high character, but the frustration with on-court results is very much justified. This is still a Division I athletic department, after all.

valpopal

Quote from: valpo64 on November 22, 2022, 08:27:12 AM
I applaud Dr. Small for his efforts to get the pulse of Valpo nation as related to our athletic programs.
However, the once-vibrant health of "Valpo nation" appears to be in a weakened, if not critical, condition. I will be interested to see if Small can be the kind of doctor able to find the faint pulse that still exists and prescribe treatment to elevate the energy before it is too late, if it isn't already.

JD24

There's a way to ask a question regarding the state of the basketball program including coaching staff, recruiting and facilities without demeaning or criticizing the program.

For instance...."are you satisified...." helps a long way rather than "Coach Lottich....."

usc4valpo

I disagree with 64's comment, which feels very status quo with Valpo athletics in that no one should be accountable and that critiques are verboten. The flagship sport is on the down swing and at least there are people on the board concerned about it and want realistic answers to reverse this.

elephtheria47

They accept donations when things are good. Fans bring friends, spend money in concessions and apparel, etc. They should accept questions and criticisms when worthy as well. Sticking your head in the sand or not addressing the concerns of your supporters isnt going to change anything. I applaud Dr. Small for having this and so everyone can hear directly from the top. Sounds like its going to be more general in nature and I wonder if you submit questions in the chat and then a select few get answered, but regardless, this can be a good thing.

vu84v2

Signs of a strong organization or an organization that understands change is needed are transparency and openness. A leader should be willing to stand (or be on Zoom) and respond to questions from key stakeholders. Of course, those stakeholders have a responsibility to be respectful and not engage in personal attacks.

usc4valpo

Let's be clear - none of these critiques are personal. When a team or someone is not performing, you must call it like it is. Lottich is a very decent guy. Lottich is not a successful head coach going into his seventh year, which is a large window to evaluate performance. Tell me what I'm missing.

FWalum

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 23, 2022, 10:04:05 AM
Let's be clear - none of these critiques are personal. When a team or someone is not performing, you must call it like it is. Lottich is a very decent guy. Lottich is not a successful head coach going into his seventh year, which is a large window to evaluate performance. Tell me what I'm missing.
This is a serious question: What do you, and others on the board, think are the reasons for the team's lack of success? No vague answers like "he can't coach" please.

I have my list.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

JD24

It will be good to hear from Dr. Small. He's not firing Lottich now or until the season is over...or virtually over at best. Anyone who thinks they are getting a direct answer on Lottich's job status at this point is living in a world not etched in reality. We're going to get a "the basketball program is very important to the University and every facet of the program is under evaluation....." type of response.

JD24

Quote from: FWalum on November 23, 2022, 12:19:47 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 23, 2022, 10:04:05 AMLet's be clear - none of these critiques are personal. When a team or someone is not performing, you must call it like it is. Lottich is a very decent guy. Lottich is not a successful head coach going into his seventh year, which is a large window to evaluate performance. Tell me what I'm missing.
This is a serious question: What do you, and others on the board, think are the reasons for the team's lack of success? No vague answers like "he can't coach" please. I have my list.
Rotations are odd...sometimes players are moved in and out for no apparent (to me) reason. This may be chalked up to what others have opined in that there is a dependence or over dependence on +/- ratings.

Three point defense. This has been a mark of Lottich teams throughout his tenure. Too many teams seem to have phenomenal shooting performances against Valpo.
Lack of ball movement...this has improved over time a bit but I still find too much stagnation in the offense. This leads to bad shots, missed shots and runouts for the opponent.

This year the remarkable dependence so far on three players nearly absent the rest of the roster. No bench nearly at all. This may be a product of lack of talent but he's responsible for that as well.

Just off the top of my head.

vu84v2

Quote from: JD24 on November 23, 2022, 12:21:22 PM
It will be good to hear from Dr. Small. He's not firing Lottich now or until the season is over...or virtually over at best. Anyone who thinks they are getting a direct answer on Lottich's job status at this point is living in a world not etched in reality. We're going to get a "the basketball program is very important to the University and every facet of the program is under evaluation....." type of response.

Very true...and I would add that the AD will not be commenting on game strategy, preparedness, etc. (nor should he). But he should field the questions....that is part of being in an executive role.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: FWalum on November 23, 2022, 12:19:47 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 23, 2022, 10:04:05 AM
This is a serious question: What do you, and others on the board, think are the reasons for the team's lack of success? No vague answers like "he can't coach" please.

I have my list.
He hasn't recruited a ton of high-end talent, which has required Valpo to take a high number of transfers. Taking transfers is a non-negotiable in the modern era, but it's a rather hit-or-miss approach and he's had a lot of misses. It blows my mind that there's not a single scholarship player from Indiana on the roster right now. I know Valpo's not normally an Indiana-heavy roster, but there's enough talent in this state that Valpo should be getting something out of it.

tjjvalpo

So, who has been invited to participate? Only supporters of VU Athletics? Season Ticket Holders?

usc4valpo

My objective questions:
Based on what you have observed to understand the problem, What will be or should be done to reverse the recent apathy toward the flagship mens basketball program?

With the current budget challenges Valpo is facing, What specific actions are in place to generate revenue to enable a better program and better facilities for the mens basketball program?

What is your measure of success for the mens basketball program?

If these questions are personal or offensive in nature, please inform.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 24, 2022, 12:21:50 PM
My objective questions:
Based on what you have observed to understand the problem, What will be or should be done to reverse the recent apathy toward the flagship mens basketball program?

With the current budget challenges Valpo is facing, What specific actions are in place to generate revenue to enable a better program and better facilities for the mens basketball program?

Without firing anyone, bring in Dane Fife to assess the ability of VU to compete at the MVC level. He has to understand what it takes, administration wise, facilities wise, and program wise, what it takes to compete at Div 1 level. We need an honest assessment of our program. Then inquire if he knows of anyone ready to take on such a situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historyman

Quote from: covufan on November 25, 2022, 11:50:12 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 24, 2022, 12:21:50 PM
My objective questions:

Without firing anyone, bring in Dane Fife to assess the ability of VU to compete at the MVC level. He has to understand what it takes, administration wise, facilities wise, and program wise, what it takes to compete at Div 1 level. We need an honest assessment of our program. Then inquire if he knows of anyone ready to take on such a situation.

I'm pretty sure Dane Fife would cost more than having to buy out Lottich. But at least you are trying to come up with ideas instead of waiting for an awful season to end like the administration is currently doing.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

JD24

Dr. Small comes from Iowa State and should either have some knowledge or the contacts to acquire the knowledge of how to put together a quality basketball program without paying someone to tell you what you want to hear.

The problem now, in my view, is that he was hired at the wrong time for this current season. This was mentioned on this board at the time of the hiring. So he wasn't going to make a change immediately as he had just gotten into the position and now has had a few early season games to review the program and coaching staff.

So, while I agree that the ultimate outcome will by Lottich should be and will be replaced, I doubt Small does anything in season unless we see continued first half performances which we've seen in 3 games this season.

I do want to add that Dr. Small was witness to the current coach of Murray State run the Iowa State program into the ground.

oklahomamick

I would rather have a Q and A with the folks on here who swore Lottich just needed time and had some bad luck. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Bumbo

Not prepared in the least for Samford's pressure - do they have a press break ?  And no in game adjustments to deal with the pressure.
Highest scorer is arguably worst defender who doesn't compete on the glass. Off ball defensive principles are terrible. Few understand responsibilities as the tag defender
Is there a detailed scout ?  Do they know which guys to cheat off of and which to treat as shooters?
Little to no use of the ball screen offensively.
And dare I say it some kids getting longer leeshes than others.
Terrible defensive team with no apparent principles or accountability for those who don't defend and rebound

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 26, 2022, 12:03:58 PM
I would rather have a Q and A with the folks on here who swore Lottich just needed time and had some bad luck. 

That would be a one sided debate. Most of us have already surrendered, or converted or our heads have hit the chopping blocks. If today my Inquisitor gave me the choice of being burned at the stake or having my eyes taped open to watch every second of the 22-23 mens basketball season, I would have difficulty determining the least painful form of torture.