• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Hosts Murray St 12/4 1:00p.m.

Started by humbleopinion, December 04, 2022, 08:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

I will say that was the best game Valpo has played this year. I don't know how good Murray state is. I was at the game and I wasn't impressed with anyone specifically on Murray roster. Our point guards are not very talented and our three point shooting is straight up awful. I didn't see anything yesterday outside of Bens' performance that I would call a sign of growth.

truth219

Ben Krikke is without a doubt a stud and he is surrounded by mediocre players. If we had a guard that could shoot can you imagine how much better he would be.

valpopal

The NET ratings have begun today following the Murray State game. Valpo is listed as #274. Only Evansville (#317) is lower in the MVC.

AB

Our three point guards had 2 pts. Not very good. King is solid. Krikke obviously is excellent. Connor needs to play way more than Nelson. Nelson is pressing. Green needs to take it to the hoop and draw fouls.

chgovalpofan

Connor is a great shooter.  He needs time to get the wrinkles out but he is definitely a threat from the outside once he starts feeling his shot again.

justducky

Quote from: AB on December 05, 2022, 09:47:15 AMConnor needs to play way more than Nelson.

Maybe but Nelson appears to be the better defender and rebounder (at least against size) and as his offensive confidence grows he could be a solid contributor by year end with Conner continuing to be the bigger 3 point threat.

Quote from: AB on December 05, 2022, 09:47:15 AMOur three point guards had 2 pts. Not very good.

It is actually worse than that. In his 32 minutes Preston played about 13 as a back up 2 guard, so their (Preston, Nick, Darius) 53 point guard and 2 guard minutes gave us just 2 points.That can't continue if the team is to be successful and I don't yet see any obvious answer. All 3 are very reliable ball handlers with limitations to their offensive games.

Quote from: truth219 on December 05, 2022, 08:16:46 AMour three point shooting is straight up awful.

Both Krikke and King could find easier shots if our opponents had better respect for our 3 point shooting.  :(  Matt has a lot of work to do just to be competitive!

valpo64

You didn't see any outstanding players on the Murray State team?     Did you see a guy named Rob Perry who threw in 29 points, including most of all of their crunch time points in overtime? 

valpo64

Sorry...Perry had 30.  He is a great player and only a junior.  I believe he won some post-season OVC awards last year as a soph.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo64 on December 06, 2022, 09:26:19 AM
Sorry...Perry had 30.  He is a great player and only a junior.  I believe he won some post-season OVC awards last year as a soph.

Xferred in from Stetson this season where he was a 2 time A-Sun player of the year.  Played in only 15 games last season and averaged over 15 ppg.  He's listed as a 6'4" guard (who obviously can score) — probably a 2??  Those who watched  the game can confirm that.

Quote from: valpopal on December 04, 2022, 09:57:49 PM
Quote from: Valpo89 on December 04, 2022, 06:46:14 PM
The program, and the game experience, is but a shell of what it once was. Who knows if it can ever be revived.

You mean like this?

I don't watch any games now — haven't for a few years. This YouTube was inserted to remind us of the old ARC atmosphere, and it certainly did - at least it made my heart pump a bit faster. But I was struck more by the ball movement, the quickness, the cutting, the penetration, the play in the paint and around the rim, and the deadly shooting from beyond the arc. Does the ML offense resemble the one I watched in this video?  Not being a bb expert, I have to ask: Is it still possible to effectively run such an offense in today's college basketball world?

PS:  Maybe if we bring back the long, baggy shorts........................ ?

truth219

Watching that clip a few things came to mind. That homer Drew team wasn't full of talent. However both Homer and Bryce had high basketball IQ players. Their teams hustled more than anyone I have seen Matt recruit or develop. They had bad games too but they hustled. I miss those arc days. In order to get back there the solution is simple yet difficult....win games and have fellowship with the student body.

JD24

I think we need to pump the brakes a bit comparing the talent on the team featured in the video and the current roster. That team had at least 3 professionals on it plus an assortment of very good role players. I don't think there's any comparison to todays two guys and 13 other guys.

No...Lottich's not been successful and part of that is the lack of ability on the roster.

Bud...yes...good teams move the ball in and out and around to find good shots and they make them. The antithesis of the Valpo offense which has been stagnant under Lottich.

Old Timer

Unfortunately or fortunate as the case may be, I had to leave for a concert and did not witness the OT. Knowing that our outside shooting could be suspect, I can't believe with all of the players available in the transfer portal, we took  a division II player with such a fundamentally poor outside shot. Looking at some video of our Canadian guard recruit, I don't see much improvement arriving in the future.

truth219

Isn't there a game in 4 hours, if we don't win by 25 or more Matt needs to be let go.