• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Il St 1/21 6pm ESPN3

Started by humbleopinion, January 21, 2023, 01:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

47 - that is my concern that Valpo will keep their commitment to mediocrity. Not necessarily Small or Padilla in the decision, but those on the board or a level below Padilla praising the dog mascots.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on January 21, 2023, 07:56:30 PM
The preseason MVC poll had VU in 9th place, ahead of Illinois State, UIC, and Evansville. Halfway through conference play and, as predicted, Valpo leads the bottom third of the league in 9th place with wins over (10) Illinois State, (11) UIC, and (12) Evansville. To show progress in the remainder of the schedule and fulfill AD Small's minimal hope for an upper half of the conference showing, the team now needs wins over the better programs in the top two-thirds of the league.

Wait a second Dr. Negative!  Using the same logic, four of Valpo's seven conference losses were against teams picked in the top half of the conference and two of those were against the top two picks.  Yes, they were playing a pretty bad Redbird team, but they ARE playing a lot better.  As for coaching, much of the improvement has happened because of  Ben moving from the four to the five and being used in an entirely different roll than early in the season.  Think how the Drake faithful must feel. Picked as an almost unanimous team to win the conference, and loaded with really old, experienced players and the POY pick, they now sit at 6-4 in conference, the same as 8th place Missouri State and four other teams.  There are now eight teams within two games of the lead.  Should be a very interesting rest of the season.  Still going to be a really tough time to get out of ninth place.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Old Timer

I have not been a strong supporter of the present coaching staff over the past several years but I must give the present staff credit for making changes. Yes it is true that the most recent victories have been over weaker teams but those teams have played some competitive basketball. Our defense has improved. Putting the ball in Edwards hand and letting him work off of Kricke has allowed the other players to move without the ball. We actually run the back cuts pretty efficiently without the logjam around the low post. This movement has also opened up our outside shooters with open balanced shots. We are also pushing the ball more. We have several plays to get Green and Kobe the ball. Although he might not be the best offensive or defensive player Bayu gives us great athleticism and will only get better. Palm is a mystery. If you watch him shoot in warm up he does have a nice shot. I felt that The substitution pattern with one guard and several players in foul trouble was well done at Evansville. Lets hope the trend continues.

AB

Moving Krikke to the top of the Key as point forward, took two or three games too long, but the change was made and it's proving to be a good change. This makes us a much more difficult team to prepare for. Is their any other team in the conference that facilitates their offense this way? Since Valpo has countered with this on offense, and teams now have film on us, what will be the adjustments going forward by other teams to stop our offense. Also, is this Valpo team capable of winning games when Green is human and or we only make three or four three pointers. Turnovers are still a concern, Edwards had a good game but two careless/terrible turnovers last night. Good teams will capitalize on our poor shooting and turnovers. Can we win ugly 56-52 type game with our defense? Palm is the big mystery. Good rebounder, energy hustler, put backs.

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2023, 08:49:04 AM
Quote from: valpopal on January 21, 2023, 07:56:30 PM
The preseason MVC poll had VU in 9th place, ahead of Illinois State, UIC, and Evansville. Halfway through conference play and, as predicted, Valpo leads the bottom third of the league in 9th place with wins over (10) Illinois State, (11) UIC, and (12) Evansville. To show progress in the remainder of the schedule and fulfill AD Small's minimal hope for an upper half of the conference showing, the team now needs wins over the better programs in the top two-thirds of the league.

Wait a second Dr. Negative!  Using the same logic, four of Valpo's seven conference losses were against teams picked in the top half of the conference and two of those were against the top two picks.  Yes, they were playing a pretty bad Redbird team, but they ARE playing a lot better.  As for coaching, much of the improvement has happened because of  Ben moving from the four to the five and being used in an entirely different roll than early in the season.  Think how the Drake faithful must feel. Picked as an almost unanimous team to win the conference, and loaded with really old, experienced players and the POY pick, they now sit at 6-4 in conference, the same as 8th place Missouri State and four other teams.  There are now eight teams within two games of the lead.  Should be a very interesting rest of the season.  Still going to be a really tough time to get out of ninth place.

No negativity. To quote Joe Friday, "Just the facts."

David81

I'm happy for this team. Even if this win streak is built on three of the league's weaker teams, I give the players and coaches alike credit for making changes and performing better. They're digging deep to make this season a respectable one.

And...how are guys like Nick Edwards passed up by D1 schools coming out of junior college? He's developing before our very eyes into the best VU point guard since Keith Carter.

wh

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 22, 2023, 07:31:34 AM
47 - that is my concern that Valpo will keep their commitment to mediocrity. Not necessarily Small or Padilla in the decision, but those on the board or a level below Padilla praising the dog mascots.

I know what you're saying, but the "fan" in me won't allow me to root for a Valpo loss. Wins have been hard to come by, so when suddenly the guys string 3 together, I'm happy for them.

usc4valpo

I want to see Valpo win, I also want Valpo to make decisions enabling excellence not mediocrity in athletics.

crusadermoe

No big wins yet.  But maybe going on the road and leaving behind The Mausoleum (aka the ARC) has rejuvenated them. That's a shout out to Chris Berman. 

Two more road games on deck with an Evansville home game between them. These road games are well timed.

wh

Beginning at the 3:50 mark, their coach pointed to the intentionality of Valpo's perimeter defenders "staying home," rather than helping in the low post. Interesting.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1617000903868928001

AB

A few notable quotes from the Redbird message board......Most of the fans are in disgust of their own teams play loosing to a bad Valpo team. Not much credit given to the Brown and Gold for the win. Take these quotes as you will.

in the last three years, Valpo has beat the following teams by 20+.
Trinity Christian
Purdue Northwest
Judson
SIUE
William and Mary
This Illinois State team.

Last nights game was frustrating, most frustrated I've been this season. I love the kids the effort they put in and the buy in with the rebuild but yesterday was rough. I thought we were in trouble when we were down 9 at half with Krikke and King being so quiet. Thats not a recipe for success vs Valpo.
The last few games have started to bother me where we let a kid get hot and not realize it and not really put pressure on the kid. Green was 6/8 from 3 and as Pedon said "a lot of them were hands down man down." Can't let other guys continue to beat us.
After last night's loss Matt Lotich is now 7-5 at Redbird Arena and has won 9 of the last 11.