• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Here’s to Ben 🍺🍷🥃

Started by VULB#62, February 20, 2023, 05:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David81

Does the timing of Ben's entry into the transfer portal suggest that he didn't want to abandon his head coach? If so, it means that throughout the challenges of this season, he respected the man who coached him.

I assume that VU has to plan as if he's leaving. But, he can withdraw his name from the portal and stay if, say, he's excited about the new coach, yes?

valpotx

Regardless of head coach, Ben needed to either go pro or try a P5.  He did his time at Valpo, and it is much appreciated.  No hard feelings at all.
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: wh on March 24, 2023, 09:38:10 AMSeemingly, 2 of Valpo's all time greats have a strong bookend connection to Matt Lottich's tenure at Valpo. Seven years ago Alec Peters reportedly said he was transferring unless Matt Lottich was named head coach. Presently, Ben Krikke announces he is transferring as Matt is relieved of his duties as head coach.
Well....let's hope these two fine basketball players don't ultimately ended up in a spot where they are choosing a head basketball coach.

wh

Quote from: JD24 on March 24, 2023, 01:00:19 PM
Quote from: wh on March 24, 2023, 09:38:10 AMSeemingly, 2 of Valpo's all time greats have a strong bookend connection to Matt Lottich's tenure at Valpo. Seven years ago Alec Peters reportedly said he was transferring unless Matt Lottich was named head coach. Presently, Ben Krikke announces he is transferring as Matt is relieved of his duties as head coach.
Well....let's hope these two fine basketball players don't ultimately ended up in a spot where they are choosing a head basketball coach.

I wasn't suggesting that players be consulted in deciding who their coach should be, any more than I would suggest that a faction of faculty members be included in the decision to sell arts pieces to generate cash for a university possibly teetering on the edge of disaster. Neither group is qualified, nor would they be held accountable for the outcome.

nkvu

If Ben does decide to transfer, I hope he goes to a team that has a legit shot at going to the NCAA tournament.  As pretty much the only bright light on some pretty crappy Valpo teams, he deserves to have the experience.

truth219

Quote from: nkvu on March 24, 2023, 05:38:59 PM
If Ben does decide to transfer, I hope he goes to a team that has a legit shot at going to the NCAA tournament.  As pretty much the only bright light on some pretty crappy Valpo teams, he deserves to have the experience.
If Ben was not on this past years team, one can only imagine...then vomit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjjvalpo

I hope Ben finds a school that he can excel at. In watching FAU today, how good could Ben be on team that actually shoot the 3? Much more room to dominate down low without constant double or triple team.

vok22

I know people already suggested Notre Dame, but I could really see that being a good fit for him. I watched a lot of the Shrewsberry offense as a Penn State fan. It was Jalen Pickett bully ball in the paint, and they couldn't double team him because they had 3-4 lethal shooters on the outside. While it might not be Ben Krikke bullyball, it could be Ben Krikke finesse-ball with his footwork and ability to score in the paint. Nobody there to double him if Shrews gets some good deadly shooters in the transfer portal, much like he built PSU. No need to worry about his rebounding struggles either, Penn State was nearly dead last in some rebounding metrics this year and fared just fine.

tiny707

Where does he end up? Iowa? Nebraska?

chgovalpofan

VULB#62

FWIW, MVCFans has Ben going to Iowa along with two other MVC guys in the portal. One poster pointed out that those rumors now place a bunch of guys in a 3 or 4 position bucket that will probably see more than one of them riding the pine.

Who would want to risk that? Wouldn't you want to xfer to a place where you are recruited to be #1 at your position on day one? I hope he doesn't jump on impulse. If I were Ben, I'd at least wait to make a final decision until I personally talked face-to-face with Roger.

VULB#62

David81

Chairback

Good for Ben. He won't be the #1 guy there but he gave valpo his all for 4 years.   He deserves a great opportunity. It will be fun to watch how well he does when all 5 defenders on the court are not 100% focusing on him.  It was 1 vs 5 for most of the season.   

chgovalpofan

I had heard he really liked Iowa. So regardless of where he is in the pecking order, he is at a school he felt the best about.  It will be very different from his four years at Valpo.  Wishing him nothing but the best. 

Just Sayin

Ben will thoroughly enjoy watching his coach stare at the refs, and he might even get to hold him back from the refs to keep him from getting kicked out. This is common practice for the Iowa players.

historyman

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 10, 2023, 04:54:57 PMBen will thoroughly enjoy watching his coach stare at the refs,

Well, they are Hawkeyes, you know.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Dr. T

Way to go, Ben!!! I will be rooting for this young man. I love the thought of Ben's game in the B10 Ten. It will benefit him to learn from a veteran coach in Fran McCaffery.

tjjvalpo

Smart Choice, Ben! Murray going to the NBA and Rebraca graduating. I hope he does well.

Valpo89

Quote from: Dr. T on April 10, 2023, 11:19:02 PM
Way to go, Ben!!! I will be rooting for this young man. I love the thought of Ben's game in the B10 Ten. It will benefit him to learn from a veteran coach in Fran McCaffery.
Even though he is a Grade A No. 1  :censored:?

David81

As he moves on with our thanks, appreciation, and best wishes for a great year at Iowa, I just think this guy is a testament to what a mid-major school offers a very promising, still raw, ferociously hardworking player, and vice versa. In four years, he went from a rotation player, to a solid starter, to a very strong starter, and to a conference Player of the Year contender. He did it at a challenging time for the program and in the midst of COVID.

That may be an increasingly rare story with the current transfer portal, but if Coach Powell can find more of these guys and persuade them to stay...plus some lucky lightning strikes from transfers coming in...well, fingers crossed. 🤞 😊👍

JD24

Quote from: tjjvalpo on April 11, 2023, 06:47:30 AMSmart Choice, Ben! Murray going to the NBA and Rebraca graduating. I hope he does well.
Ogundele is in the transfer portal as well.

tjjvalpo

Great interview with Ben by Paul on Victory Bell Podcast. He had 70 schools contact him after he entered the transfer portal. What a crazy time for him. I think he chose well. Iowa is doing European trip this summer so he gets 10 extra practices this summer with his new school and then games in Europe.