• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let's speculate about assistant coaches

Started by humbleopinion, April 07, 2023, 11:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

I'm sure that Roger can choose anyone whom he wants (although we've heard about salary limitations).

Who is likely to go?  Will he hold onto Luke,  a former colleague?

What about the others?
Beamin' Beacons

tiny707

With our budget I like the following: Erik Buggs, Austin Peters, Matt Olinger from VCU and Luke Simons from Baylor. Of course Luke Gore if possible.

valpo64

Austin Peters...wouldn't that be something?  Where has ne been up to this point?

crusader05

Peters and Buggs are up there. I'd imagine that he probably already has names he feels good about and may even had to give some of them as theoretical options in the interview and negotiation process to show what type of team he wants/needs to build.

tiny707

64, Austin Peters is an assistant coach
at Arizona Christian University. Probably could afford him. Very smart basketball mind.

valpo64

I like the Peters connection...building on past successes.

tiny707

Just read Paul's article on next steps so here are my five positions to fill:
1.) Dee Brown assistant coach. Has heading coaching experience.
2.) Chris Artis assistant coach. Knows The Region.
3.) Erik Buggs assistant coach.
4.) Thomas Kithier grad assistant.
5.) Lubas Barton director of basketball operations.

VULB#62

Ya think Lexus Williams would consider jumping from Boise State as that coach who can relate to young players?    And/or is Tevonn a possible holdover?

And what about Luke?  I know this should be a clean break with the past seven years, but Luke offers a lot to the transition as well as his familiarity with current players/transfers and current recruits as well as the NW Indiana region.

tiny707

Love Lexus. May need more experience. Would get him home and knows Chicago market. Would relate to to younger players just like Erik Buggs would. Tevon would be great if the two Canadians stay. Not sure on Luke. He never recruited The Region that well while he was here. He is from TN and may want to head south? Maybe Erik Buggs comes to VU and Luke goes to TN-Martin?

tiny707

Jason Hawkins has head coaching experience and from Gary. I think Paul
did a podcast on him?

wh

Ryan Broekhoff would be 1 of my top choices for asst. coach. Roger was on staff for Ryan's final 2? seasons at Valpo. Everyone at the time said Ryan was an amazing student of the game, as well as being an great teammate. Played in the NBA for more than just a cup of coffee, Europe, and Australia. He is still playing, but he has to be at that age where he's looking to get into coaching, which Koala (his mom) said he has a passion to do. Some of you may also recall her as active on the message board when Ryan was here. She said the family LOVED VU and the community. When I asked her about Ryan someday coaching at Valpo, she replied "wouldn't that be lovely!"

Get interested, Ryan. I'm pulling for you!

Great website. Shows what Ryan is doing currently.
https://nbl.com.au/player/113805/1640134/ryan-broekhoff

tiny707

Isn't Ryan's wife from Michigan and went to VU? That could help.

valpofb16

Deron Williams , Dee Brown, Luther Head, James Augustine , Jeffrey Jordan

VULB#62

Rowdy. Absolutely.  Truth be told, his smile and joy while playing inspired me.  I love the kid. His joy would transfer to players intrinsically.  He has played on the biggest international stages. He has a worldly view. If he decides his playing days are over, what better place to start another illustrious career.  Bonus:  Koala would get back on the board  ;D.

David81

Broekhoff and Buggs, two names mentioned as possible assistants, are among those who join Paul Oren in this video podcast remembrance of the 2012-13 season:

https://www.thevictorybell.com/p/hard-to-believe-its-been-10-years

tiny707

Looks like Buggs has a pretty good coaching resume for 32, his wife is from Chicago and may be time to move up from OVC to MVC.

valpo64

Isn't it interesting that not too long ago many posters on this board wanted the new coaching staff to have nothing to do with with previous ties to VU saying we need to clean house, start fresh, etc.  Now all we hear is bring back the old guard.  It's rather amuzing.

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on April 10, 2023, 07:47:59 AM
Isn't it interesting that not too long ago many posters on this board wanted the new coaching staff to have nothing to do with with previous ties to VU saying we need to clean house, start fresh, etc.  Now all we hear is bring back the old guard.  It's rather amuzing.

It was one of a few ties to the Drew regime that could be chosen to lead the Valpo program.

There is still the possibility that in 3 to 4 years the same crying about Lottich that many of the message board posters flooded this website with may happen to Powell if he doesn't happen to be more successful. I really highly doubt it at this point but it is a possibility.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

I was making my reference to the assistant coaches...As for Powell...great hire.

usc4valpo

Powell appears to have the experience, Valpo AND non Valpo (he was at an outstanding Gonzaga program) , to succeed. All I was saying is to not restrict your selection based solely on the Valpo family tree, which appears as if they looking within and outside of that. It looked like they thoroughly did their homework to make this selection.

Getting an assistant to recruit internationally would be great.

elephtheria47

I want people who can "call people" i.e. their mentors for input. Powell im sure will be able to call the Drews and Few for ideas and input. Lets branch out for assistant coaches. Im still curious if AC budgets also increased, or if they decreased since Im assuming the HC will make more, or stay the same? Really need at least one, preferably 2, strong ACs to finish this out and then take a swing at an up and comer or a previous player. Wouldnt mind hiring someone like Schilling, an older guy who has HC experience but is on his way out and willing to serve as an AC for a year or two to help Powell transition to HC.

VULB#62

The stereotypic interview asks candidates to explain their strengths and, of course, challenges (AKA, weaknesses). None of us were privy to how Roger addressed these, but in assembling a new staff, I would think his highest priority would have to be, first and foremost,  finding an AC who complements his coaching skill set by filling any gap in that skill set. I think Roger has the intelligence, humility but also self-confidence to know his limitations and not surround himself with yes-men or all guys who don't complete his coaching spectrum needs. So, it'll be very interesting to see who his first hire is.

VU2014

Quote from: David81 on April 09, 2023, 10:05:16 AM
Broekhoff and Buggs, two names mentioned as possible assistants, are among those who join Paul Oren in this video podcast remembrance of the 2012-13 season:

https://www.thevictorybell.com/p/hard-to-believe-its-been-10-years

Broekhoff will definitely not be in the mix. He loves being home and is making pretty good $ being a star in Australia